Easter Basket Cake, Basketweave In Ganache..will It Hold Up?

Decorating By sweetcravings Updated 30 Mar 2008 , 12:11am by ceshell

sweetcravings Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetcravings Posted 13 Mar 2008 , 5:30pm
post #1 of 4

I hope someone can answer my questions. I was thinking about making a pretty simple easter basket cake for this upcoming Easter. I was thinking about icing it with chocolate ganache that has been whipped. Will it hold up to piping..basketweave style? Or will it fall off the cake with time?

Also, if it is ok to use, can it be frozen all decorated and then thawed when ready to serve? Or will it affect the ganache..fall off the cake etc.. How should i freeze and thaw it?

I'm looking for anyway to save prep time this year as i will be hosting the Easter dinner at my house. If i can get this cake done ahead it would greatly reduce my stress.

Any help would be appreciated.
Suz

3 replies
ceshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ceshell Posted 16 Mar 2008 , 4:59am
post #2 of 4

It will definitely hold up, I've done it http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1158306. The only warning is, the ganache tends to firm up over time (meaning, while you are piping). I remember I had to keep re-warming it to get it soft again or else it wouldn't come out of the darned piping bag. Although I've been told here on CC (I think it was by melysa - the post is now MIA) that if you use milk chocolate it will be a little softer and thus easier to pipe. I myself like dark chocolate so that's what I used, it was worth the extra effort.

I just did a crumb coat and piped on the basketweave. That stuff sticks like glue!

I freeze ganache all the time in plastic containers but have never done it on a cake so I can't answer if it would affect the adhesion of the icing on the cake...? (Though it would surely surprise me if it did.) But you know refrigerated that stuff lasts at least a week - it would be more about how long you want the cake itself in the fridge.

If you do freeze it I'd recommend putting it in a cake box and then wrapping that box TIGHT with saran wrap and then putting it in a big bag (trash bag?) Something to eliminate as much air as possible.

Anyway Easter is only a week away, just do the cake on Thurs or Fri and stick it in the fridge wrapped nicely as above. icon_smile.gif (haha easy for me to say, it's not my Easter dinner!)

sweetcravings Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetcravings Posted 30 Mar 2008 , 12:07am
post #3 of 4

Thanks,
I did go ahead and decorate it on the friday. The ganache piped beautifully. I actually found the ganache getting too soft as i piped. I have warm hands. i just put it back in the fridge to firm up and it was ok. I stuck the whole done cake in the fridge till i served it. The only thing i would change is i would've taken it out of the fridge much sooner before serving it. It was soooo firm it was hard to cut. It was filled with the ganache too. It sure was yummy. Thanks for the help. Hope you had a good easter.
suz

ceshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ceshell Posted 30 Mar 2008 , 12:11am
post #4 of 4

You're welcome and I am glad things went well and find it fascinating that yours was actually on the soft side. Didn't think to mention that you should always take a ganache cake out of the fridge several hours in advance -whoops! Oh well, it still always tastes fantastic.

I made a flourless hazelnut torte for Easter...topped with...ganache!! Man I love that stuff! icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%