Covering Dummy Cake

Decorating By jene4 Updated 16 Mar 2008 , 12:32am by sugarshack

jene4 Posted 13 Mar 2008 , 5:14pm
post #1 of 4

I covered a square styrofoam dummy cake last night and it tore at the corners. Everywhere else was nice and smooth. I brushed the dummy with water prior to covering and also sanded down the edges. What did I do wrong? Should I cover the styrofoam with royal icing first?

3 replies
Donnagardner Posted 13 Mar 2008 , 5:32pm
post #2 of 4

Your fondant could have been to thin. You can roll the edges of the dummy on a hard surface and that will make them a little more rounded too. Also your fondant may have been a little to dry. If you see this happen in time you can rub a little crisco on that spot and work out the rough spot that may help with the dryness. HTH

KHalstead Posted 13 Mar 2008 , 5:52pm
post #3 of 4

sometimes with square cakes too the weight of the fondant itself pulling down over the corners is enough to tear it. try rolling it up on your rolling pin and unrolling it a little at a time onto your cake making sure to pat the fondant into the sides to keep the weight off the top and corners of the fondant (hope that makes sense?) Then you can go back and do your normal smoothing job...square cakes can be tricky because of that, and it seems the dummies would be more tricky than real cake because of the hard edges

sugarshack Posted 16 Mar 2008 , 12:32am
post #4 of 4

smooSH DOWN THE SHARP EDGES A BIT TOO BEfoRE YOU COVER ( DUMMY)

OOPS SORRY

not yelling but too lazy to retype

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%