Tastings For Birthday Cakes??

Business By divaofcakes Updated 17 Mar 2008 , 8:02pm by MichelleM77

divaofcakes Posted 13 Mar 2008 , 4:19pm
post #1 of 13

Hi there!

Is anyone doing tastings/samples for small orders like birthday cakes or shower cakes? I offer tastings only to brides. However, I have had requests for tastings for small birthday cakes. My first instinct is to tell the person "no tastings" and to check out my references. Anyone have any thoughts on this?

12 replies
LetThereBeCake07 Posted 13 Mar 2008 , 4:27pm
post #2 of 13

never have done this unless it was a large order. for a small one i am not sure i would offer unless i had cake already on hand. for a $20 cake it wouldnt be worth the effeort to make up a sample and then have her say no!

Malakin Posted 13 Mar 2008 , 4:28pm
post #3 of 13

I would do exactly what you said. Check references. Small birthday cakes don't add up to much financially and there is no guarantee that they will even order one.

yh9080 Posted 13 Mar 2008 , 4:33pm
post #4 of 13

I don't do it for birthday cakes. The only way Iwould be if the cake were 100+ servings.

Edited to add:
That said, if they wanted to order a cake (ie "special occasion") and pay me for it, then that would be different.

KHalstead Posted 13 Mar 2008 , 4:42pm
post #5 of 13

I would say like yh9080 and have a certain amount of servings they need to purchase and if it's under that amount then the tasting will cost $x.xx this much! Make it worth your while........they can't possibly expect you to whip up a "little" cake for nothing when they're ordering a birthday cake to serve 20, when they may decide they don't want it. the reason tastings are usually free for brides is because of the potential money they will be spending!

indydebi Posted 13 Mar 2008 , 4:48pm
post #6 of 13

Oh brother, these people watch too much "Style" channel shows!

Do they go to Pizza Hut and ask for a free sample of their pizzas before they order 3 or 4 of them for a birthday party? Does walmart or costco do free samplings for birthday cakes? Would they even ASK walmart for a sample cake before they spent ten whole bucks on a frozen birthday cake?

Where do these people come from? icon_eek.gif

Tastings for weddings or events of 100+ only!

divaofcakes Posted 13 Mar 2008 , 5:01pm
post #7 of 13

Thanks so much for the feedback. I am laughing out loud at what you said, indydebi. Too funny!!! icon_biggrin.gif

Kitagrl Posted 13 Mar 2008 , 5:01pm
post #8 of 13

I tell them they can order a $25 8" cake to take home in the flavor of their choice.

I do have a grad party mom coming, but she wants a wacky design drawn up. Still charging $25 which comes off her order total.

I do try to discourage birthday tastings. Kind of silly.

CakeMommyTX Posted 13 Mar 2008 , 5:02pm
post #9 of 13

I learned this the hard way, now I only do tastings for wedding cakes or other cakes for 100+ servings. Anything under that its 20$ for 2 flavors , 1 with filling and 1 with bc , which amounts to 4 cupcakes.
Most people don't want to pay 20$ for 4 cupcakes , so I don't do many tastings, which is what I was going for.

mmgiles Posted 13 Mar 2008 , 5:57pm
post #10 of 13

I only do tastings for weddings or for cakes over 100 servings. That said if it was a small cake then I'd offer to give them a call the next time I had extras, or was already doing a tasting (as I always have leftover and waste) and they could come and get a sample then.

MichelleM77 Posted 13 Mar 2008 , 6:01pm
post #11 of 13

I've read about people having tasting/sample party "open houses." Maybe have them 2-4 times a year to attract new customers. Find a church/hall/office location and advertise! I've thought about doing this when I finally offer cakes, so that my current cookie customers can come and taste my cakes. Haven't thought too much into where I would do this since we are in the middle of moving. A few bakeries do this in my area around the months of January to February when lots of people get engaged and start thinking wedding. icon_smile.gif

divaofcakes Posted 17 Mar 2008 , 7:48pm
post #12 of 13

All wonderful ideas. Thanks for sharing! And a special thanks for sharing the photo of Wentworth Miller. icon_lol.gif

MichelleM77 Posted 17 Mar 2008 , 8:02pm
post #13 of 13

LOL! I guess I'll share him with you. icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%