Letter Cutters

Decorating By doreenre Updated 17 Mar 2008 , 4:28pm by ShaunaCann

doreenre Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
doreenre Posted 13 Mar 2008 , 4:14pm
post #1 of 16

I've been using the small Wilton letter cutters, but without fail, everytime I try to remove the fondant from the cutter, it gets stuck. Then I end up with impressions from the tool that I used to get it out with.

I've dusted heavily w/ ps beforehand, etc., but it still gets stuck! Do they work easier with gumpaste?

I've recently ordered Tappits. I hope those are better.

15 replies
sugarshack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarshack Posted 13 Mar 2008 , 4:44pm
post #2 of 16

yep, those wilton ones stink

SweetToothFairy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetToothFairy Posted 15 Mar 2008 , 6:54am
post #3 of 16

agreed...i have the same problem. ugh!

mcalhoun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mcalhoun Posted 15 Mar 2008 , 7:19am
post #4 of 16

The only way I have been able to get to work a LITTLE better is after dusting my fondant and my cutter I let the fondant sit for a couple of minutes it helps a little bit.

Briarview Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Briarview Posted 15 Mar 2008 , 8:35am
post #5 of 16

Are you just using plain fondant or have you added gum trag or tylose? With those added it is much better. Roll out the gumpaste and let sit for a few seconds then cut out letters. I use a small pin to lightly lift them out. Another thing is I use spray oil in the tappit before cutting out. Don't have much luck dusting them. Also paste must not be rolled too thick. I had trouble at first but now no problems after lots of practice. Good Luck.

banba Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
banba Posted 15 Mar 2008 , 8:48am
post #6 of 16

I just got letter cutters a while back and had some trouble too.

I found what worked best was to roll the gumpaste or fondant really thin. The instructions say until you can read small print underneath well don't stop there roll it a bit thinner again.

Then let the fondant sit for about 5 mins, then try cutting.

I also let it sit in the cutter for another few minutes then tap them out.

tracey1970 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tracey1970 Posted 15 Mar 2008 , 5:31pm
post #7 of 16

When I took the Fondant and Gumpaste class, we were told to rub shortening on all our cutters, cutting tools, etc. Would rubbing a tiny bit of shortening on each letter before you stamp it into the fondant make a difference? I haven't tried the letter set yet, so I don't know if this works, or not.

Finesse457 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Finesse457 Posted 15 Mar 2008 , 11:58pm
post #8 of 16

I found spraying Pam on them helps a little too.

mariahuertas Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mariahuertas Posted 16 Mar 2008 , 12:21am
post #9 of 16

After use it, i dust the letter with cornstarch, no problem at all, good luck!

lecrn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lecrn Posted 16 Mar 2008 , 12:26am
post #10 of 16

I bought some metal letter cutters intended for cutting clay. I think that they are easier to work with than the plastic ones. I just bought some patchwork cutter numbers, and I'm not too impressed how they look (haven't tried them yet).

tracey1970 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tracey1970 Posted 16 Mar 2008 , 12:37am
post #11 of 16

The Wilton letter cutters are metal - are those the ones you are using, doreenre?

tracycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tracycakes Posted 16 Mar 2008 , 2:12am
post #12 of 16

I had the very same problem and almost gave up. Thinner was helping so I ended up leaving it a little thicker, about 1/8" and it seemed to help. I used PS to dust with but cornstarch might be better. I haven't tried that.

luelue1971 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luelue1971 Posted 16 Mar 2008 , 2:18am
post #13 of 16

The letter B is especially difficult and of course I'm always trying to to Birthday.

TheButterWench Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TheButterWench Posted 16 Mar 2008 , 2:26am
post #14 of 16

cover your fondant with a piece of seran wrap and then press the Wilton Metal Alphabet cutters into the fondant, you will see how much easier it will come out

doreenre Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
doreenre Posted 17 Mar 2008 , 4:20pm
post #15 of 16
Quote:
Quote:

cover your fondant with a piece of seran wrap and then press the Wilton Metal Alphabet cutters into the fondant, you will see how much easier it will come out

The Saran Wrap sounds like a great idea! I'll try it!

ShaunaCann Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShaunaCann Posted 17 Mar 2008 , 4:28pm
post #16 of 16

Saran Wrap - what a great idea!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%