Moist Cake Mix Cakes

Baking By m0use Updated 26 Oct 2005 , 8:46pm by m0use

flayvurdfun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
flayvurdfun Posted 22 Mar 2005 , 8:46am
post #61 of 89

Just read this post....wow... I will also try using milk to see how much of a difference!!! icon_wink.gifthumbs_up.gif

GHOST_USER_NAME Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GHOST_USER_NAME Posted 24 Mar 2005 , 10:54am
post #62 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by AgentCakeBaker

Cali4dawn

You mentioned that you could add fancy liqueurs to the simple syrup. How much of the liqueur do you add to the water and sugar mixture?

When I use Liqueurs, I use them straight. I don't see why you could not water them down, but I would not add any sugar.

AgentCakeBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AgentCakeBaker Posted 28 Mar 2005 , 4:25pm
post #63 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by cali4dawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by AgentCakeBaker

Cali4dawn

You mentioned that you could add fancy liqueurs to the simple syrup. How much of the liqueur do you add to the water and sugar mixture?

When I use Liqueurs, I use them straight. I don't see why you could not water them down, but I would not add any sugar.

Great! I'll try it with my next cake. Thanks Dawn!

lisalamm Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lisalamm Posted 29 Mar 2005 , 3:07pm
post #64 of 89

I would like to bake my cake today to be served on Saturday. I would like to frost it on Thursday. Should I freeze the cake or just let it sit out until Thursday? And then how do I store it after icing it on Thursday so the icing doesn't get stale and hard? Thanks for the help once again!

Ladycake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ladycake Posted 29 Mar 2005 , 3:10pm
post #65 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisalamm

I would like to bake my cake today to be served on Saturday. I would like to frost it on Thursday. Should I freeze the cake or just let it sit out until Thursday? And then how do I store it after icing it on Thursday so the icing doesn't get stale and hard? Thanks for the help once again!

Bake your cake today and atleast crumb coat it on Wed Wrap it on the baord in saran wrap and let it just sit on your counter and if you choose you can then decorate it on Thursday it will be fine for sat...

peacockplace Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peacockplace Posted 29 Mar 2005 , 4:42pm
post #66 of 89

I know I read somewhere not to add milk to chocolate because it will be too moist....true?

tcturtleshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tcturtleshell Posted 29 Mar 2005 , 4:48pm
post #67 of 89

I add buttermilk to chocolate cakes. It is sooooooo good!!!! I don't know about adding milk. Never have. Maybe someone will know~

Mchelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mchelle Posted 29 Mar 2005 , 4:56pm
post #68 of 89

I use buttermilk too. It enhances the chocolate flavor, mmmmm!

m0use Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
m0use Posted 29 Mar 2005 , 5:39pm
post #69 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by peacockplace

I know I read somewhere not to add milk to chocolate because it will be too moist....true?

Actually they were talking about rice milk or soy milk making it too moist. Adding rice milk or soy milk straight to any cake will make it too moist. I always use 50/50 of water and rice milk when I had rice milk to a cake. But if you use cow's milk or buttermilk it will be moist, but not too moist.

AngelWendy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AngelWendy Posted 29 Mar 2005 , 6:55pm
post #70 of 89

Is the simple sugar syrup used just to moisten or does it work as a crumb coat as well? Thanks!

~AngelWendy

Ladycake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ladycake Posted 29 Mar 2005 , 10:24pm
post #71 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelWendy

Is the simple sugar syrup used just to moisten or does it work as a crumb coat as well? Thanks!

~AngelWendy

Simple sugar syrup is the same thing as karo syrup just depends what part of the world your from ... it would not be used as a crumb coat it would be used to moisten a cake.... you could brush that on to your cake and then do your crumb coat and then add your regular amount of frosting...

lisalamm Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lisalamm Posted 29 Mar 2005 , 10:31pm
post #72 of 89

Does anyone use creamers in a chocolate cake? If so, what flavor?

flayvurdfun Posted 30 Mar 2005 , 1:27pm
post #73 of 89

I havent but my neighbor told me that she used the hazelnut flavored liquid creamer in her devil foods cake....she said it made it tastelike some candy bar with hazelnut in it....she liked it but wouldnt do it again, I would think use vanilla with vanilla and so on...the vanilla caramel would be good with vanilla too I think....hmmm will have to try it...after all I like those FOO FOO coffees, and my creamer has to be flavored, my husband cant stand it...has to have his straight!!!

cakeconfections Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeconfections Posted 30 Mar 2005 , 1:50pm
post #74 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisalamm

Amerreto is a good one to put in chocolate or vanilla cakes. It is even great in icing.

GHOST_USER_NAME Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GHOST_USER_NAME Posted 30 Mar 2005 , 6:41pm
post #75 of 89

I never use water in my cakes... period. I use at least milk if nothing something more (buttermilk, coffee creamers). I haven't seen how it effects a chocolate cake any differently than any other flavor cake as far as moistness is concerned.

m0use Posted 31 Mar 2005 , 3:55pm
post #76 of 89

Rice milk and soy milk seem to be the only things when used straight that make a cake too moist. I have baked and cooked with rice milk and it definitely can add too much moisture if you aren't careful. So that's why I always water it down to 50/50 mixture when baking a cake- I don't have any problems with my cake falling apart because it's too moist.

flayvurdfun Posted 1 Apr 2005 , 8:05am
post #77 of 89

I have never heard of rice milk either till this site....its not here in our commissary!

m0use Posted 1 Apr 2005 , 2:12pm
post #78 of 89

I drink rice milk because I have a slight milk allergy. Besides I prefer the taste of rice milk over cow's milk, cow's milk tastes bitter to me.

momof3jotynjake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momof3jotynjake Posted 2 Apr 2005 , 4:09pm
post #79 of 89

ok sgirvan, im curious, did you like the milk better than the water???

AimeeA Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AimeeA Posted 29 Apr 2005 , 5:43pm
post #80 of 89

Well I tried using the Southern Butter pecan flavored coffee creamer in a Butter flavored cake....sounds good. Well the cake flopped. The center never rose and the cake itself was gummy. Not sure what I did wrong. Just glad I was doing it for fun not for anything special.

Aimee A

cakegal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakegal Posted 29 Apr 2005 , 5:55pm
post #81 of 89

Now I'm getting to know the bakers secrets.. icon_biggrin.gif ..LOL...
I'm definately going to try all these tips out..
Oh... when I bake a cake I usually add a big heaping spoon of Helmans real mayonaise....boy does that adds the moisture and flavor...
But I'm game to the new tips as well...
Thanks girls..
cakegal

tcturtleshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tcturtleshell Posted 1 May 2005 , 7:32pm
post #82 of 89

I use the simple syrup (I call it sugar syrup) as a crumb coat. lt works for both crumb coat & making the cake moister. Try it!!

Connie515 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Connie515 Posted 1 May 2005 , 8:58pm
post #83 of 89

WoW!!!
I have learned a lot with this topic. I will try the milk instead of water on my next cake. I also will use the simple syrup. If I add milk to my cake instead of water do I add the same amount?

After my cake completely cools I wrap the cake with plastic wrap and I keep the cake in the pan and it sits for a day or two. I fill the cake, frost and decorate all in one day. Because I keep my cake in the pan for a day or two does this dry out my cake? My cakes usually taste good but not moist enough. I aim for quality too but I am scared to try things. I will try things now though.

~~Connie~~

m0use Posted 2 May 2005 , 11:32pm
post #84 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by Connie515

WoW!!!
I have learned a lot with this topic. I will try the milk instead of water on my next cake. I also will use the simple syrup. If I add milk to my cake instead of water do I add the same amount?

After my cake completely cools I wrap the cake with plastic wrap and I keep the cake in the pan and it sits for a day or two. I fill the cake, frost and decorate all in one day. Because I keep my cake in the pan for a day or two does this dry out my cake? My cakes usually taste good but not moist enough. I aim for quality too but I am scared to try things. I will try things now though.

~~Connie~~

Yes, you use the same amount of milk as you do for water. Glad to hear that you are willing to try this. This will probably help your cakes stay alot moister.
m0use

Connie515 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Connie515 Posted 3 May 2005 , 2:52pm
post #85 of 89

Thank you! icon_smile.gif I will try this today.
~~ Connie

sbc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sbc Posted 25 Oct 2005 , 6:05pm
post #86 of 89

Couls you please let me know wht to add instead of water to make a cake moist? wht is this rice and water mixture?..

thnks,
sbc.

clb307 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
clb307 Posted 25 Oct 2005 , 6:37pm
post #87 of 89
Quote:
Quote:

I haven't tried this yet but I'm planning on it for a cake this weekend. I'm making a chocolate cake and there is one company that make a Chocolate Cream coffee creamer. I figure that would be a good one to start with!

trini Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
trini Posted 26 Oct 2005 , 6:47pm
post #88 of 89

i am so pleased with this topic i had a frend who makes cakes for a living and would only use water one day after i have taken a few classes i decided to play around with cake mixes and i added sour creame and vanilla and gave her a taste she could not belive it was the same cake mix she used for her cakes and its not the brand name stuff she said to well if i made cake like this i would have to charge more icon_redface.gif and i just shaked my head icon_confused.gif and do you know that cake mixes that have been doctored to the customers order cost more than a cake from scratch

m0use Posted 26 Oct 2005 , 8:46pm
post #89 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbc

Couls you please let me know wht to add instead of water to make a cake moist? wht is this rice and water mixture?..

thnks,
sbc.

Rice and water mixture is rice milk and water, I have that when you cook with rice milk it can be too moist for what you need. So I use a part rice milk, part water mixture. Let's say your recipe called for 1/2 cup of water, I would use 1/4 cup of rice milk and a 1/4 cup of water.
If you are just using regular cow's milk, you don't have to mix it with anything.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%