Can I Make This Bow With Marshmallow Fondant?

Decorating By LoriMc Updated 15 Mar 2008 , 7:13am by plbennett_8

LoriMc Posted 13 Mar 2008 , 2:48pm
post #1 of 19

Here is a picture of a CCer's Pooh cake and the bow is made of gumpaste. Could I do this with MMF? The cake will be picked up tomorrow morning. Do you think since it is lying down on the cake I have enough time to make it? I know the looped bows have to dry for a while.
LL

18 replies
plbennett_8 Posted 13 Mar 2008 , 3:03pm
post #2 of 19

If you have some Gum-Tex work it in and it should be dry by tomorrow... It might be ok with MMF, but not sure...

HTH,
Pat

LoriMc Posted 13 Mar 2008 , 3:19pm
post #3 of 19

Thanks for answering, but I don't have any gumpaste or gumtex. I have never even used it before.

Is this kind of bow put straight on the cake, or do you let it dry and then assemble it like a loop bow?

tiggy2 Posted 13 Mar 2008 , 3:27pm
post #4 of 19

If you look in the articles on CC there is tutorial on this type of bow. It does need to dry and I don't think MMF alone will do the trick for you. You can add tylose powder or 50/50 gumpaste and fondant.

LoriMc Posted 13 Mar 2008 , 3:30pm
post #5 of 19

All I have is fondant. I guess I will give it a shot and see what happens. I'll just stick roses on there if it doesn't work.

rmelendrez Posted 13 Mar 2008 , 3:31pm
post #6 of 19

The fondant should dry by tomorrow, it might be a tad tacky to the touch on the underside, but you should be just fine. Assemble the bow, loops etc and assemble, let dry in a cool dry area on wax paper and then place on the cake. Good luck!

rmelendrez Posted 13 Mar 2008 , 3:32pm
post #7 of 19

The fondant should dry by tomorrow, it might be a tad tacky to the touch on the underside, but you should be just fine. Assemble the bow, loops etc and assemble, let dry in a cool dry area on wax paper and then place on the cake. Good luck!

rmelendrez Posted 13 Mar 2008 , 3:34pm
post #8 of 19

ops...sorry about the double post!

lynm701 Posted 13 Mar 2008 , 3:36pm
post #9 of 19

I have made a bow like this out of MMF. I let it dry overnight (about 15 hrs or so). I put it on the cake and a few hours later the bow loops fell flat. I think MMF takes a bit longer to dry than regular fondant. I just wanted to share my experience with it. I hope this info helps you a bit!! Good luck!

LoriMc Posted 13 Mar 2008 , 3:36pm
post #10 of 19

Thanks...I think I'll stick it in front of a space heater.

doreenre Posted 13 Mar 2008 , 3:38pm
post #11 of 19

I've been told that corn starch works almost as well as tylose powder.

aswartzw Posted 13 Mar 2008 , 3:43pm
post #12 of 19

I've made one just like it with MMF only. Left it to dry at room temperature too and turned out fine. (If you want to peek, it's my green one with polka dots).

Edited to add...
Oh... I did store it in the fridge. That might have made a difference.

Starkie Posted 13 Mar 2008 , 3:43pm
post #13 of 19

I only use MMF, and I have made bows before (not this big of loop, though). I have noticed that if I paint my fondant with lemon juice, it tends to get much firmer than if I leave it alone. Maybe you can try this out? I would definitely make several bows to let dry, in case one breaks or falls. Good luck!

plbennett_8 Posted 13 Mar 2008 , 3:47pm
post #14 of 19

Oh...and remember to "stuff" the loops so that they will hold their shape... The idea about extra loops is a good one. icon_smile.gif

Good Luck! icon_smile.gif
Pat

arosstx Posted 13 Mar 2008 , 3:59pm
post #15 of 19

This is my neighbor's cake, cakesbyAllison. She is so good!! I hope to be like her when I grow up, ha ha.

If you're doing mmf, I would try and at least add some tylose powder to it to make it more gumpaste-y so it will dry quicker. If that's not available, put it in front of a small fan set on low and turn it every few hours. I've done that before and it's dry enough to place on a cake AND stay the way you intended it to later on once the cake is out of your hands!

Good luck! thumbs_up.gif

regymusic Posted 13 Mar 2008 , 4:04pm
post #16 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by arosstx

This is my neighbor's cake, cakesbyAllison. She is so good!! I hope to be like her when I grow up, ha ha.

If you're doing mmf, I would try and at least add some tylose powder to it to make it more gumpaste-y so it will dry quicker. If that's not available, put it in front of a small fan set on low and turn it every few hours. I've done that before and it's dry enough to place on a cake AND stay the way you intended it to later on once the cake is out of your hands!

Good luck! thumbs_up.gif

I agree. I always use a fan to speed up drying times. Works like a charm!

LoriMc Posted 13 Mar 2008 , 4:21pm
post #17 of 19

For those of you who use MMF, do you think it makes a difference if you roll it out with powdered sugar or shortening? I have been doing shortening...seems easier to me and you don't get the white spots on the fondant from the sugar.

LoriMc Posted 13 Mar 2008 , 4:54pm
post #18 of 19

In the tutorial for the gumpaste bow she says attach the pieces with water or sugar glue. What would you use for MMF? Would royal icing be ok?

I'm going to put it together on the cake. I hope that will be ok.

plbennett_8 Posted 15 Mar 2008 , 7:13am
post #19 of 19

Hope this isn't too late... if you are wanting it to dry quicker, I would use either powdered sugar, or corn starch when rolling it out instead of shortening...for the bow at least... For the cake, shortening seems to keep it a little "softer"...

Attaching the bow; I don't see any reason why royal wouldn't work if you already have it...but, water or sugar glue (disolved MMF) works just fine... I have never had anything fall off...

HTH,
Pat

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%