Argh!! How Do I Get This Right

Decorating By catin Updated 13 Mar 2008 , 2:35pm by pianocat

catin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
catin Posted 13 Mar 2008 , 1:55pm
post #1 of 7

The fondant on my Cake is bolging out at all ends . I put a layer of ButterCream on the Cake before applying the Fondant . Fondant is at 1/8" thick everywhere and it still bolges ...WTH!! What have I done wrong? How can I correct it ?

I had trouble rolling out the Fondant to the correct size (took me four tries to get it right) . I took the suggestions in the forums to get everything right and I still have problems .

I don't a picture to show yous right now but I will post them as soon as i get my camera working ...

Help please .... Can is due for Delivery tomorrow (March 14th)

6 replies
LetThereBeCake07 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LetThereBeCake07 Posted 13 Mar 2008 , 2:06pm
post #2 of 7

is there fillinf in the cake that could be pushing out under the fondant? also, if the fondant slid the bc underneith then you could have a ripple of bc that creats a buldge.
we should be able to tell better once you have a picture up

lapazlady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lapazlady Posted 13 Mar 2008 , 2:06pm
post #3 of 7

You might want to look at www:atecousa.com and go to tutorials. They have a good one on applying fondant. Do not give up, it can be done.

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 13 Mar 2008 , 2:07pm
post #4 of 7

Your fondant is a little thin.. I'd roll it out a little thicker actually. What are you using for BC? Is it a crusting recipe? Do you chill your cake before applying the fondant?

I use SMBC, so no crusting, and I always chill my cake to firm up the icing before applying fondant. That way the icing won't move around while you are smoothing it.

HTH's a little..

mmgiles Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mmgiles Posted 13 Mar 2008 , 2:11pm
post #5 of 7

I dont think I understand your question exactly, but do you mean that around the bottom edge it is coming out, like it wont stick? If that's the case, it may be that your buttercream has crusted and is not sticky. If it fits, then you can take a dab of water on the under side of the fondant and it should stick down. If that's not what you're asking, I dont know how to help.

MacsMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MacsMom Posted 13 Mar 2008 , 2:29pm
post #6 of 7

BC should be as smooth as possible and evenly applied -- thick BC may move around as you are applying fondant (but a little time with a cake smoother will work for that). Along the same lines, BC shouldn't be too soft.

If the BC is dry, then it creates the opportunity for air bubbles to get trapped between the cake and fondant - a pin pushed through at an angle will allow the air to escape, using a smoother to help push the trapped air out and conceal the tiny hole.

If fondant is too thin it will show every little bump. Once I began rolling mine out thicker my cakes have been much smoother. To cover a large cake I knead together two batches of fondant to make sure I won't roll it too thin.

If you are using MMF, adding a tablespoon of glycerine before adding the PS helps with pliability, so there is less likelihood of wrinkling at the bottom. I haven't tried kneading it in after it's made, or adding it to another type of fondant, but I bet it would work.

Lastly, make every effort to be sure your filling isn't bulging out of the sides. I make a cake dam nearly 1/2" inside the diameter of the cake, then once I add each layer of cake I press down on the cake using a waxed cake circle for evenness. Then put it in the fridge to firm up and settle before applying fondant.

HTH!

pianocat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pianocat Posted 13 Mar 2008 , 2:35pm
post #7 of 7

Fondant is a little thin, probably. Also I put piping gel around the bottom 1/3rd of the cake to help with adhesion.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%