Fondant

Decorating By DEE328 Updated 21 Mar 2008 , 3:28pm by DEE328

DEE328 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DEE328 Posted 13 Mar 2008 , 1:07pm
post #1 of 10

Im a newbie and this is just an opinion and would like yours ...i hate fondant wouldnt you like a cake that taste good and looks good also ? I think fondant taste awful . now some people will just pay for the pretty of it?? my husband really wants me to start doing fondant cake but i think they are a waste of time . alot of work, yes pretty? yes tasty no! so what is the fuss ???? i love to decorate in buttercream frosting my customers eat all of if instead of taken off big fondant balls and stuff ....just would like your ideas on it icon_biggrin.gif [/b]

9 replies
eatdessert1st Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
eatdessert1st Posted 13 Mar 2008 , 1:14pm
post #2 of 10

I love the look of fondant... I cannot seem to get my BC smooth enough to look really pretty. I like the MMF with some white chocolate in it and flavored w/ cream cheese flavoring... I've never had people complain about the taste. Many people eat it (my kids love the stuff!) and the ones who don't (like me) just leave it on the plate. I put a thick enough layer of BC underneath the fondant to taste good.
I've used fondant enough that I'm more comfortable with it and it isn't really much extra trouble. Just do what you're comfortable doing.

AJsGirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AJsGirl Posted 13 Mar 2008 , 1:22pm
post #3 of 10

It's all in the kind of fondant you use. I make my own, and it tastes pretty good, most people eat it. The Wilton Fondant should be used in CIA interrogation techniques. icon_lol.gif

toshaw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
toshaw Posted 13 Mar 2008 , 1:24pm
post #4 of 10

That was a good one!! She's absolutely right - - it's AWEFUL!

luelue1971 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luelue1971 Posted 15 Mar 2008 , 2:45pm
post #5 of 10

Rolled buttercream is kind of the best of both worlds. It taste more like buttercream but can be put on smooth more like fondant. Its a little bit harder to use but I really like it.

peg818 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peg818 Posted 15 Mar 2008 , 2:57pm
post #6 of 10

If you really like to work with buttercream then do it, you don't have to do fondant.

I agree that wilton fondant is just awful and you would think that they would do something about it, but fondant isn't for everyone. I find that i mostly work in buttercream, some will pay for fondant some won't, i do do alot of accents in fondant, in small doses people think its just that candy on top of the cake.

In the end you need to work with what you like to work with, I do think its important to know how to use it and what product you would prefer to work with (i prefer Choco-pan) so that if you are requested for it you can provide the service.

ladycake17 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladycake17 Posted 15 Mar 2008 , 4:05pm
post #7 of 10

How do you flavor or add to your mmf? I make the mmf and I add some butter flavoring to it, how do add in the white chocolate or anything else? Thanks!

TooMuchCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TooMuchCake Posted 15 Mar 2008 , 6:26pm
post #8 of 10

It's all personal preference, but I think it's good to have at least a passable grasp of how to use either buttercream or fondant. Perhaps the brand/recipe for fondant that you've been using could be the issue? I swear by Satin Ice. Do not, under any circumstances, put Wilton fondant in your mouth. Gross!!!

Deanna

oilili Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
oilili Posted 17 Mar 2008 , 10:00am
post #9 of 10

DEE328, I find ready made fondant really bad.

I bought Wilton's fondant twice just to check the consistency and what it was like to wok with.

My homemade fondant tastes good and far better. I just reduced the amount of sugar required in the recipe by a third because otherwise, people would find it too sweet.

Once the sweetness level was found, no problems at all with the taste, on the contrary everyone has been asking to be served again lately... good point!
However, i do find that my home made fondant crackles a bit as soon as I smotth it over the cake and I am trying to work this one out.

It is true that buying ready things such as fillings or fondants are so practical! but overall, I do think that as far as cooking is concerned anything homemade will always be better than readymade from groceries.

DEE328 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DEE328 Posted 21 Mar 2008 , 3:28pm
post #10 of 10

THANKS FOR ALL YOUR COMMENTS !!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%