I Have Found A Kitchen--Yay!

Business By Mac Updated 22 Mar 2008 , 1:02am by step0nmi

Mac Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mac Posted 13 Mar 2008 , 12:31pm
post #1 of 18

Oh my gosh, I have now found a commercial kitchen to rent and they have accepted my proposal.

The kitchen is actually in a small, private school. They no longer use the kitchen but it is inspected and can be inspected in my name. They have all the equipment except cake pans but hey, for 30 years, I have PLENTY of pans.

To start, I am only using the kitchen 3 evenings a week (Wed, Thurs, Fri 6-10:00 and possibly 1/2 day on Sat) for $400 a month. We will reassess in 6 months to make sure they are getting what they need to cover the increase in utilities.

I will still work only on referrals and no walk-in traffic but that is just how I want it for now. Don't want to quit my day job as a physical therapist assistant. It took me getting fined by the city to really get on the ball. AND it took 6 1/2 months to find this place but I actually used to help the chef there when they had one. And have done ALOT of baking for most of the Board members.

Wish me luck, I am calling the Health Dept today about all the permits that I will need. YAY!!!!!!!!!

17 replies
tracycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tracycakes Posted 13 Mar 2008 , 12:33pm
post #2 of 18

Congratulations!

sweetcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetcakes Posted 13 Mar 2008 , 2:10pm
post #3 of 18

that is great news, and hope for everyone else who's looking for a kitchen to rent. You'll have to update us as to how its working for you.

Congrats!!

onceuponacake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
onceuponacake Posted 13 Mar 2008 , 2:37pm
post #4 of 18

yay!!! congrats! i am in the process of doing this as well!

step0nmi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
step0nmi Posted 13 Mar 2008 , 2:44pm
post #5 of 18

congratulations! party.gif That sounds really exciting! You WILL have to keep us update on how everything goes...so sorry you got fined though! Good luck! icon_biggrin.gif

Mac Posted 13 Mar 2008 , 3:04pm
post #6 of 18

The fine was a blessing in diguise...it actually made me decide if I was serious about my cake business.

Tomoore Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tomoore Posted 13 Mar 2008 , 3:24pm
post #7 of 18

Mac,

Do mind sharing the contents of your proposal and how much you were fined by the city?

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 13 Mar 2008 , 3:43pm
post #8 of 18

Sweet....Congratulations!..
Edna icon_biggrin.gif

Debster287 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Debster287 Posted 13 Mar 2008 , 4:00pm
post #9 of 18

Congratulations! That is so encouraging. I am an Occupational Therapy Assist. and just started Cake Decorating but, absolutely love it. I am debating about starting a side business as I only work part-time. You are definately an inspiration!!! Good Luck!! thumbs_up.gif

Crazy-4-Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Crazy-4-Cakes Posted 15 Mar 2008 , 1:59pm
post #10 of 18

congrats! I have been trying to figure the logistics of doing this myself and you have gave me more ideas of places to search. Keep us posted on how everything works for you. Are you able to keep and store your supplies and finished cakes at that kitchen? Does anyone else use the kitchen when you are not?

Mac Posted 20 Mar 2008 , 6:16pm
post #11 of 18

Tomoore--
I'm not ignoring your question...I had it all typed out and submitted then the CC crash happened and I haven't had time to retype. Hopefully in the next few days I will have time.

So much to do, called city, have to go by and start the process of getting proper certificates, licenses, call insurance people, call CPA, contact attorney...whew--I'm tired just thinking about it.

deanwithana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
deanwithana Posted 20 Mar 2008 , 6:28pm
post #12 of 18

That is wonderful especially if they don't go up on the rent......you are in business now!!!!

cookieman Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cookieman Posted 20 Mar 2008 , 6:46pm
post #13 of 18

Wow Mac...this is GREAT news! It sounds almost like the situation I was in when I had my cookie business. Except...the rent was a lot more! (I'm in Hoboken, NJ, which is in the NYC tri-state area.) May I ask what part of the country you are in? You're deal makes me want to go back into business! All the best to you!!! thumbs_up.gif

Mac Posted 20 Mar 2008 , 10:37pm
post #14 of 18

I am in East Texas. The kitchen is in a private school and they no longer cook in the kitchen. I am fortunate that I have done a lot of cakes and cookies for many of the board members at this school. So any extra money they have coming in is just (pardon the pun) icing on the cake.

terri76 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
terri76 Posted 20 Mar 2008 , 11:01pm
post #15 of 18

Way to go! I know you are so excited!! I would love to have my own commercial "legal" kitchen, but I think it might take the same thing happening to me to get my tail on the ball. Let us know how everything goes.

Congratulations!!! thumbs_up.gif

Mac Posted 20 Mar 2008 , 11:35pm
post #16 of 18

The fine was $350.00...a 2nd fine is $700 and a 3rd offense is $1500 and possible jail time.

cookieman Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cookieman Posted 22 Mar 2008 , 12:44am
post #17 of 18

Mac--
Thanks for answering, sorry it took so long for me to respond. I, too, baked out of a cooking school (in their off hours). It was great, because they also rented the kitchen out for small cooking-themed bachelorette, anniversary, birthday, etc. parties and I usually got commissioned to do the cakes or cookies for the dessert. For anyone out there looking to rent kitchen space, this is a good avenue to pursue.

step0nmi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
step0nmi Posted 22 Mar 2008 , 1:02am
post #18 of 18

hey! I wasn't getting any emails notifying me of this post.

HOW did you come across this school with this kitchen? I am very curious...because if I need to go searching I might do so.

And I am so sorry about the fine...that scares me too! How much is it costing you to get everything together for the new place??

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%