Chocolate Covered Strawberries

Decorating By karapags Updated 13 Mar 2008 , 1:26pm by karapags

karapags Posted 13 Mar 2008 , 12:05pm
post #1 of 5

Hi all,

I have to make about a 100 chocolate covered strawberries and I wanted to know how fast in advance I could make them. I don't like strawberries so I have no clue.

I send this message last night and someone did respond but I guess with the glitch it wouldn't let me open it to read it and now it is gone this morning. Thanks to the person who responded but I couldn't read it.

Thanks so much,

4 replies
Ro40 Posted 13 Mar 2008 , 12:35pm
post #2 of 5

i know it is best to wash them at least one day before you are going to dip them to ensure they are completely dry. if there is any water left they will be ruined. they go by fast, even 100 would be easy to do the day before. i wouldn't do it more than 2 days before they are due.

awolf24 Posted 13 Mar 2008 , 12:52pm
post #3 of 5

Just like Ro40 said, you need to make sure they are absolutely dry before dipping.

It really shouldn't take that long and it is best to do strawberries as last minute as possible - they will sweat if they are put in the fridge and they will also start "weeping" juice after a few hours. 2 days ahead is way too long... can you do it the day of the event? That would be best.

FromScratch Posted 13 Mar 2008 , 12:52pm
post #4 of 5

Wipe them gently with a damp cloth. You don't want to soak berries in water or they will start to get weepy. You can't make them far in advance.. 1 day would be my top time frame. They start to get a little off after that. I try to make them as close to delivery as I can.

What are covering them with? I find that using a firm ganache works best as it doesn't set crunchy hard and it has a better mouth feel. 2-3 parts semi to bittersweet chocolate to 1 part heavy cream is good for this application. It's nice because when you bite into it.. the chocolate doesn't chip off in big chunks and it's easier to eat them.

How are the berries in your area right now? I know they are sad up here in NH.. make sure you charge enough for them as you may have to buy a lot more berries than you need to get the necessary amount of quality berries. For this reason I don't generally offer them in the winter.

Good luck! icon_smile.gif

karapags Posted 13 Mar 2008 , 1:26pm
post #5 of 5

Thanks so much for getting back to me so soon. I could do them the day of the party. I have to make them look like the bride and groom. The bridal shower party isn't until 7pm and I have to do a cupcake tower for the party.
I have 2 other cake due that day so I will have to make sure they are done so I could work on the strawberries that day.

Thanks so much Again[/i]

Quote by @%username% on %date%