Gum-Tex The Same As Tylose?

Decorating By Sugar Updated 9 Aug 2005 , 4:44pm by Sugar

Sugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sugar Posted 9 Aug 2005 , 1:59pm
post #1 of 6

I just read somewhere that Wilton Gum-Tex is the same thing as Tylose? Is this true? I was under the assumption that they were different.

5 replies
SquirrellyCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SquirrellyCakes Posted 9 Aug 2005 , 2:39pm
post #2 of 6

Well, in a way they are the same thing because they produce similar results. The recipes are a bit different when using one versus the other.
They are made of different bases but both will produce hardening results. Tylose is an alternative product to use in making gumpaste instead of gum tragacanth. Some folks find it is less expensive,, easier to work with, that it holds up better in areas of higher humidity and it is whiter in color.
Wilton's Gum-Tex is actually made with gum karaya, a cheaper alternative to gum tragacanth which was traditionally used for making gumpaste.
Some folks find that using Tylose makes a better tasting and smelling gumpaste. Gum-Tex does have a bit of a strong vinegar smell to it.

Sugar Posted 9 Aug 2005 , 2:41pm
post #3 of 6

Thanks so much!! :^)

katiebug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
katiebug Posted 9 Aug 2005 , 4:05pm
post #4 of 6

I have made nick's recipe using both the Gum-tex and Tylose. The Gum-tex gumpaste was alot denser, heavier and not nearly as stretchy as the one made with Tylose which was very light and easy to work with. Also the Gum-tex one was a a light pinkish color and the Tylose one was a pure white .

dulce Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dulce Posted 9 Aug 2005 , 4:44pm
post #5 of 6

Yeah the Tylose is very easy an flexible to work, is very elastic.

Sugar Posted 9 Aug 2005 , 4:44pm
post #6 of 6

Thanks Katie. I'll get the Tylose then. icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%