Professional Or Unprofessional??????

Decorating By tannersmom Updated 24 Feb 2008 , 2:45am by tannersmom

tannersmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tannersmom Posted 24 Feb 2008 , 1:59am
post #1 of 9

I recently started (back,..after a long break) making cakes again. I love making them for kids. Well to make a long story short, I work in a pedatricians office so I know most of the kids D.O.B and get to talk with the parents. Would it be unprofessional if I mentioned to the parents that I decorate cakes? I know it would jump start my business but I don't wanna come across as tacky or unprofessional. If you have any ideas on how to approach the subject would you please share them with me.

8 replies
foxymomma521 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
foxymomma521 Posted 24 Feb 2008 , 2:05am
post #2 of 9

That depends, are you liscensed?

tippyad Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tippyad Posted 24 Feb 2008 , 2:06am
post #3 of 9

Honestly, I'm not good when it comes to selling a product. I don't like to pressure or be pressured into anything. I believe putting up a flyer would be your best bet if your office would allow it. Plus if the clients are coming in w/ sick kids the last thing they want to do is listen to a sales pitch. At least I wouldn't. I believe word of mouth is best. Good luck!

kdbobo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kdbobo Posted 24 Feb 2008 , 2:07am
post #4 of 9

I'd be a little weirded out, unless I'd mentioned something about the kid's birthday coming up...but more importantly, would your boss be ok with you talking up your other business while working?

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 24 Feb 2008 , 2:08am
post #5 of 9

Also before you mention it to the patients check with the doctor or the one running the office. This would be considered solicitation for many people and they may not want it done on their property or their time.

JP Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JP Posted 24 Feb 2008 , 2:14am
post #6 of 9

Does your office have an area where people can put their business cards? My pediatrician's office has cards from dentists, party planners and everyone in between. Perhaps you could place business cards in that forum or ask to start a business card area at the desk. As a parent, I would be taken aback if someone from the pediatrician's office mentioned their cake decorating business out of the blue.

lu9129 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lu9129 Posted 24 Feb 2008 , 2:25am
post #7 of 9

Check with your dr. if it is ok with he/she maybe you could give a card to the 1st time mom's for the 1st birthday smash cake for free and then they will hopefully want to order the B-day cake from you also.

Lu

Melvira Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melvira Posted 24 Feb 2008 , 2:25am
post #8 of 9

You absolutely don't want to do anything without the 'bosses' approval, of course, but if they are cool with it, I'd suggest just putting out business cards. If you work at a desk or counter where the parents check in or stop to talk to you, you can just put them in front of you. You want to be very casual and 'non-invasive' about it, because some people would totally resent being 'pitched' at their doc's office! Especially in reference to their children. It wouldn't personally bother me for something like cakes, but you just don't know how someone will react! Sounds like you're in a good place to make some business contacts though! Good luck to you!

tannersmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tannersmom Posted 24 Feb 2008 , 2:45am
post #9 of 9

Thanks for the replies. I thought about the business cards also but I wasn't sure if you could use them without having a license. I would never just mention I decorate cakes to the parent but I was wondering if the subject came up about the childs Bday would be unprofessional to mention it. If the business card is the best option I will c with Dr. P to see if it's ok to put the on my desk. Don't wanna lose my job. Baby needs new shoes. LOL icon_lol.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%