Bead Cutters

Decorating By pjaycakes Updated 24 Feb 2008 , 2:31am by Starkie

pjaycakes Posted 23 Feb 2008 , 11:12pm
post #1 of 8

I am wanting to purchase a bead cutter. I will be making a fondant string pearl border on a 12 - 9 - 6 stacked cake. Which brand of bead cutter is the best to get. I could each pearl seperately, but I thought the bead cutter would save me some time. Also, should the beads be the same size on all the tiers or different on each one. Thanks in advance for all the advice.

7 replies
Starkie Posted 23 Feb 2008 , 11:56pm
post #2 of 8

I think the beads may need to be different sizes on each tier, to make it look right. Maybe someone else has had experience with that?

I looked into getting the bead maker before, but they are so expensive! And they only make one size, so if you need different sizes, you have to buy different molds! Have you looked on Earlene's site to get the directions for making pearl beads? I think this is the link:

http://www.earlenescakes.com/prlinstruct.htm

I did mine this way, and they came out great!

HTH!
<S>

pjaycakes Posted 24 Feb 2008 , 12:10am
post #3 of 8

I have those tips from Earlene's website. I purchased them several years ago and never used them. Her instructions don't really say how thick to roll the fondant; how thick did you roll yours? I am using the SPS system and want to make sure the pearls cover the plates. Thanks for the idea.

icer101 Posted 24 Feb 2008 , 12:11am
post #4 of 8

i have some of the ones country kitchen sells of different sizes these are the bead molds rope mold etc first impressions molds have beautiful ones then fmm has some also they are expensive but worth it if you are going to make a lot of pearls and so easy to make and put around your tiers i have also made them the way earlene shows takes a lot of time though but anyway people choose all different ways to do them and they are all pretty i also think they should be different sizes for different size tiers then pearl dust them you can also put the pearl dust in the mold and then the medium you are using and its done

bobwonderbuns Posted 24 Feb 2008 , 12:19am
post #5 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starkie

I think the beads may need to be different sizes on each tier, to make it look right. Maybe someone else has had experience with that?

You can't see it from the picture, but in my photos, the Towering Inferno cake has six different tiers, all with the same beads (I believe it was the 6mm I used.) I used the bead makers from Firstimpressionmolds.com. The borders looked fine with all the same size beads because the cakes were all the same height and it looked porportionate. Hope that helps some! icon_biggrin.gif

pjaycakes Posted 24 Feb 2008 , 12:20am
post #6 of 8

Is it safe to say that the mm size of the pearl should match the size of the cake Ex: 12mm pearl on a 12" cake?

pjaycakes Posted 24 Feb 2008 , 12:29am
post #7 of 8

That is an amazing cake. It is really gorgeous. I see what you mean the pearls do look good all the same size.

Starkie Posted 24 Feb 2008 , 2:31am
post #8 of 8

I agree, Bob, fabulous cake! And the website, www.firstimpressionsmolds.com , is a great resource! The bead molds there look much more reasonable than what I've seen elsewhere...

***Must go shopping***Must go shopping***Must go shopping***

icon_lol.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%