Cupcake Cake Pricing

Decorating By shelli72 Updated 23 Feb 2008 , 11:43pm by Lulu4464

shelli72 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shelli72 Posted 23 Feb 2008 , 9:45pm
post #1 of 8

I was wondering what people are charging for cupcake cakes. I made one using 40 cupcakes with a chocolate transfer on top.(Will post pictures when I get a chance). I charged $25.00 but my husband and sister thinks that was too little, I think maybe too much. Help me please.

7 replies
Starkie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Starkie Posted 23 Feb 2008 , 9:54pm
post #2 of 8

Okay, at $25.00 you can break that down to about 62 cents per cupcake. Does that even cover the cost of your supplies? And with the chocolate transfer on top, to boot!

I have never had to price out cupcakes, but Wal-Mart sells their 6-pack of cupcakes for $2.50 (that's 50 cents each). If you are only selling yours for 12 cents more, and adding a chocolate transfer on top, then I think your hubby and sister are correct in telling you to CHARGE MORE!!!

I wouldn't even consider selling a cupcake for less than $1 each, and that would be a basic flavor, no filling, and buttercream swirl on top.

HTH!

ZAKIA6 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ZAKIA6 Posted 23 Feb 2008 , 9:57pm
post #3 of 8

ive never done a cupcake cake but
i would AT LEAST charge whatever i charge for cupcakes.
Price of cupcake x 40
plus additional for the chocolate transfer

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 23 Feb 2008 , 9:58pm
post #4 of 8

If you sit and think about it.. a cupcake is equal to a serving of cake. So I charge the same for a cupcake as I do per serving for cake. I offer basic cupcakes at a small discount and you can choose either chocolate or vanilla cake and have them topped with chocolate or vanilla buttercream and rainbow sprinkles for $3/each. My normal cupcaked come filled and frosted and you can choose any of my fillings and flavors with some decoration and they start at $4/each. No way would I sell them for $0.62/each.. too much work for such a tiny profit.

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 23 Feb 2008 , 10:06pm
post #5 of 8

I see that it was a cupcake cake and not just cupcakes.. so you made a 40 serving "cake" with a big chocolate transfer on top of it? And sold it for $25.00??? No way. $25 wouldn't even cover my supplies to make that many cc's and the chocolate transfer. Did you make any money off of this?

Please don't take this the wrong way, but your husband and sister are definitely right. If the CC's weren't filled I would have charged at least $150 for that cc cake.

KateWatson Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KateWatson Posted 23 Feb 2008 , 10:08pm
post #6 of 8

I'm not sure where you are in the country, but here in CA I charged $3.50 per cupcake for a wedding BECAUSE - it's not just the cupcake, it's the set-up, delivery, decorating 60 things instead of just 2 or 3 layers, etc. etc. Please don't undersell yourself!! As women we think our time and creativty aren't worth much, so we undersell ourselves. We all need to value our "art" and charge a fair price so that we "elevate" the art of baking, especially for wedding work which always ends up being more than you thought it will be. AND you have to put up w/the Bridezilla behavior or the groom who says, "Why are we paying so much for a cupcake?". They can always just go to Walmart, but if they want your fresh ingredients and personal touch, they will have to pay for it, you deserve it!! Go girl!!

rmelendrez Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rmelendrez Posted 23 Feb 2008 , 10:19pm
post #7 of 8

Ditto jkalman...price based on per serving.

Lulu4464 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lulu4464 Posted 23 Feb 2008 , 11:43pm
post #8 of 8

HI, IN PUERTO RICO WE CHARGE ABOUT $1.25 UP TO #2.00 PER CUPCAKE. I THINK YOU WENT WAY TO LOW. thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%