I don't use RI much but had a reason to recently. Was wondering if anyone else had this problem. I was wondering if it might be specific to Wilton meringue powder.
It doesn't burn my eyes but it sure makes my nose run!!!
What the heck are you guys doing with the royal icing????
Actually any time I am making icing my nose runs!!!I have a cake friend who said the same thing also!!
I'm thinkin' allergies here! Have you tried a different meringue powder? I use CK meringue powder. You might try that.
Beth in KY
Are you inhaling the ps unintentionally?
That's all I can think of as ps is well powder so it could go up your nose and into your eyes make sure you don't stand directly over it when pouring and sieving?
I have no problems with RI setting off any allergic reactions. I used to work in a lab that studied slime mold and my nose ran all the time. I never paid much attention to it but then years later I tested positive for allergy to molds. I would guess you are allergic to one of the ingredients. If it is really bothersome I would wear a dust mask or safety glasses.
I don't think it's the PS because BC doesn't bother me. It just seems that the RI has a much stronger smell as you're mixing it than BC. A more pungent smell. Not necessarily a bad smell, just a lot more whang to it.