Does Ri Burn Your Eyes?

Business By vickster Updated 23 Feb 2008 , 10:52pm by vickster

vickster Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vickster Posted 23 Feb 2008 , 8:04pm
post #1 of 8

I don't use RI much but had a reason to recently. Was wondering if anyone else had this problem. I was wondering if it might be specific to Wilton meringue powder.

7 replies
Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 23 Feb 2008 , 9:21pm
post #2 of 8

It doesn't burn my eyes but it sure makes my nose run!!!

DianeLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 23 Feb 2008 , 9:24pm
post #3 of 8

What the heck are you guys doing with the royal icing????

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 23 Feb 2008 , 9:26pm
post #4 of 8

Actually any time I am making icing my nose runs!!!I have a cake friend who said the same thing also!!

bethola Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bethola Posted 23 Feb 2008 , 9:37pm
post #5 of 8

I'm thinkin' allergies here! Have you tried a different meringue powder? I use CK meringue powder. You might try that.

Beth in KY

banba Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
banba Posted 23 Feb 2008 , 9:37pm
post #6 of 8

Are you inhaling the ps unintentionally?

That's all I can think of as ps is well powder so it could go up your nose and into your eyes make sure you don't stand directly over it when pouring and sieving?

Lenore Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lenore Posted 23 Feb 2008 , 9:38pm
post #7 of 8

I have no problems with RI setting off any allergic reactions. I used to work in a lab that studied slime mold and my nose ran all the time. I never paid much attention to it but then years later I tested positive for allergy to molds. I would guess you are allergic to one of the ingredients. If it is really bothersome I would wear a dust mask or safety glasses.

vickster Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vickster Posted 23 Feb 2008 , 10:52pm
post #8 of 8

I don't think it's the PS because BC doesn't bother me. It just seems that the RI has a much stronger smell as you're mixing it than BC. A more pungent smell. Not necessarily a bad smell, just a lot more whang to it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%