Is There Always Room For Another Bakery>

Business By nikki72905 Updated 24 Feb 2008 , 1:59am by indydebi

nikki72905 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nikki72905 Posted 23 Feb 2008 , 7:41pm
post #1 of 5

My husband and I are contemplating businesses .... A bakery/bistro has come up several times as well as an all inclusive wedding/party business where you could come to get everything from a planning service to your food and decorations. I just started decorating cakes, however have always loved baking and creating new tastes and flavors. My husband is a fantastic cook. I am the baker he is the cook -- we go together so well LOL ... As I look at the businesses in area we live in I don't know if something like this would work, people don't like to spend money However I know from experience when they see a good thing they will spend money for but try to get it for nothing. As far as areas go we are not afraid to move if we need to ... out of the state, out of the area ... anything ... neither one of us are real crazy about Pennsylvania however this is where our families live.

I guess my question is ... How do you know if a bakery/business will work in an area when their is nothing like what you want to open around... ? or if there are a lot of bakeries in an area how do you know that the area could take on another one?

Thanks for your input.
Nikki

4 replies
michellenj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
michellenj Posted 23 Feb 2008 , 8:07pm
post #2 of 5

A good place to start would be creating a business plan. It's a lot of work, but it makes you really think about aspects that you might not otherwise think about in depth, not just the fun stuff.

mypastrychef Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mypastrychef Posted 24 Feb 2008 , 1:21am
post #3 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikki72905

My husband and I are contemplating businesses .... A bakery/bistro has come up several times as well as an all inclusive wedding/party business where you could come to get everything from a planning service to your food and decorations. I just started decorating cakes, however have always loved baking and creating new tastes and flavors. My husband is a fantastic cook. I am the baker he is the cook -- we go together so well LOL ... As I look at the businesses in area we live in I don't know if something like this would work, people don't like to spend money However I know from experience when they see a good thing they will spend money for but try to get it for nothing. As far as areas go we are not afraid to move if we need to ... out of the state, out of the area ... anything ... neither one of us are real crazy about Pennsylvania however this is where our families live.

I guess my question is ... How do you know if a bakery/business will work in an area when their is nothing like what you want to open around... ? or if there are a lot of bakeries in an area how do you know that the area could take on another one?

Thanks for your input.
Nikki

Well if you want to move to Louisiana you can buy my shop!! thumbs_up.gif

mpc
www.mypastrychef.com

littlecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
littlecake Posted 24 Feb 2008 , 1:54am
post #4 of 5

NO!!! Come to oklahoma and buy mine!!!!

Only needs a few SMALL repairs! ha ha ha...handy man special!

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 24 Feb 2008 , 1:59am
post #5 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by michellenj

A good place to start would be creating a business plan. It's a lot of work, but it makes you really think about aspects that you might not otherwise think about in depth, not just the fun stuff.

Yeah, it takes the emotion out of it and forces you to look at it as a business. It's a great exercise .... I actually found it to be fun! (but I'm weird and like doing number stuff).

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%