Pillow Cake Question1

Decorating By ruthberry Updated 23 Feb 2008 , 7:26pm by sweetbabycake

ruthberry Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ruthberry Posted 23 Feb 2008 , 2:17pm
post #1 of 5

I just made my first pillow cake yesterday. I make two layers.

The pillows were cut using the instructions on this site. My pillows were very droopy on the corners. How do I make them not droop down??? They were cool, not frozen when I covered them.

also, my fondant was rolled to 1/4". was that too thick for pillow cakes?

Holy cow, also, it was so hard to cover the bottom! I placed my cake on a peanut butter jar to raise it up so I could reach under it to cover the bottom. I had a very hard time getting the corners to cover before the fondant started ripping off. And forget about turning it upside down to smooth the bottom. I did do that on one of my layers, and it made a mess of the top. I was able to smooth it out though. How do you do that part???? Should I have covered them in buttercream and then put them in the freezer first, and then covered in fondant?

I'll post a pic later so you can see them. I think they are really pretty, but my work is still sloppy.

thanks in advance for the advice!!

4 replies
busymom9431 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
busymom9431 Posted 23 Feb 2008 , 2:33pm
post #2 of 5

I have only done one pillow and I didn't cover the entire bottom of the pillow. I just tucked the fondant under the edge. I did freeze the cake before I carved it and after it was frozen I put a layer of buttercream. Mine was also a two layer cake. I think my fondant was probably a little thinner than 1/4"

Did you make your fondant? I don't have trouble with mine ripping. Corn syrup helps it become more pliable.

HTH

ruthberry Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ruthberry Posted 23 Feb 2008 , 3:25pm
post #3 of 5

yes, I make my own. I use the MMF recipe. it usually does pretty awesome if I leave it white or color it pastel.

I colored the bottom layer cake red, and it RIPPED a LOT! I added corn syrup, and it helped a little. I ended up melting about 2 cups of MM and kneading it into the red, and it helped.

I didn't cover the entire bottom, but most of it. it was just difficult!

thanks for the reply.

Bonnie151 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bonnie151 Posted 23 Feb 2008 , 7:09pm
post #4 of 5

When I made my stacked pillow cake I did freeze the cake before applying buttercream and then the fondant. I think it made the cakes just that bit firmer & easier to work with (though I do let them defrost a little bit to stop condensation on the fondant). I used my PME flower shaper to tuck the fondant in at the bottom. I know that's not the correct use for the tool- but it worked!

To stop the droopy corners I alternated carving the top with the bottom. I stepped back a lot to compare to a real life pillow.

I had my fondant 1/4 inch thick & it was OK. I did find that where the covering wasn't perfectly smooth that it was easy to cheat and hide it by adding an indentation.

HTH.

sweetbabycake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetbabycake Posted 23 Feb 2008 , 7:26pm
post #5 of 5

I think it helps if you also use a denser cake. Both of my pillow cakes were a dense chocolate that holds up well to carving. I also put it in the freezer before the carving but not after the crumb coat. I did put them in the fridge so the icing was not soft when I put on the fondant. One thing I've found though is that with pillows accents can hide any flaws icon_lol.gif Cant wait to see your picture.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%