Pillow Cake Question1

Decorating By ruthberry Updated 23 Feb 2008 , 7:26pm by sweetbabycake

ruthberry Posted 23 Feb 2008 , 2:17pm
post #1 of 5

I just made my first pillow cake yesterday. I make two layers.

The pillows were cut using the instructions on this site. My pillows were very droopy on the corners. How do I make them not droop down??? They were cool, not frozen when I covered them.

also, my fondant was rolled to 1/4". was that too thick for pillow cakes?

Holy cow, also, it was so hard to cover the bottom! I placed my cake on a peanut butter jar to raise it up so I could reach under it to cover the bottom. I had a very hard time getting the corners to cover before the fondant started ripping off. And forget about turning it upside down to smooth the bottom. I did do that on one of my layers, and it made a mess of the top. I was able to smooth it out though. How do you do that part???? Should I have covered them in buttercream and then put them in the freezer first, and then covered in fondant?

I'll post a pic later so you can see them. I think they are really pretty, but my work is still sloppy.

thanks in advance for the advice!!

4 replies
busymom9431 Posted 23 Feb 2008 , 2:33pm
post #2 of 5

I have only done one pillow and I didn't cover the entire bottom of the pillow. I just tucked the fondant under the edge. I did freeze the cake before I carved it and after it was frozen I put a layer of buttercream. Mine was also a two layer cake. I think my fondant was probably a little thinner than 1/4"

Did you make your fondant? I don't have trouble with mine ripping. Corn syrup helps it become more pliable.

ruthberry Posted 23 Feb 2008 , 3:25pm
post #3 of 5

yes, I make my own. I use the MMF recipe. it usually does pretty awesome if I leave it white or color it pastel.

I colored the bottom layer cake red, and it RIPPED a LOT! I added corn syrup, and it helped a little. I ended up melting about 2 cups of MM and kneading it into the red, and it helped.

I didn't cover the entire bottom, but most of it. it was just difficult!

thanks for the reply.

Bonnie151 Posted 23 Feb 2008 , 7:09pm
post #4 of 5

When I made my stacked pillow cake I did freeze the cake before applying buttercream and then the fondant. I think it made the cakes just that bit firmer & easier to work with (though I do let them defrost a little bit to stop condensation on the fondant). I used my PME flower shaper to tuck the fondant in at the bottom. I know that's not the correct use for the tool- but it worked!

To stop the droopy corners I alternated carving the top with the bottom. I stepped back a lot to compare to a real life pillow.

I had my fondant 1/4 inch thick & it was OK. I did find that where the covering wasn't perfectly smooth that it was easy to cheat and hide it by adding an indentation.

sweetbabycake Posted 23 Feb 2008 , 7:26pm
post #5 of 5

I think it helps if you also use a denser cake. Both of my pillow cakes were a dense chocolate that holds up well to carving. I also put it in the freezer before the carving but not after the crumb coat. I did put them in the fridge so the icing was not soft when I put on the fondant. One thing I've found though is that with pillows accents can hide any flaws icon_lol.gif Cant wait to see your picture.

Quote by @%username% on %date%