Need Help Recreating This Beautiful Cake

Decorating By wgoat5 Updated 24 Feb 2008 , 1:50am by karapags

wgoat5 Posted 23 Feb 2008 , 12:35pm
post #1 of 13

This cake was made by NashvilleCakes and I have pm'd her but haven't heard anything back..Isn't it lovely though ... *sigh*

ANYWHO..... I need some suggestions... Here are my questions..

Should I cover the whole thing in the pink fondant and add the brown details? Or do it in pieces?

How do you think the logo was put on? Stencil with chocolate? Or what do you think?

Does anybody know where I can find this logo so if I do need to cut out a stencil I can see it better?

How do you think she carved this?
What size cakes do I start out with?

Please help me, I know this is probably OUT of my league but I need to try it

Thank you sooo much!!!!

12 replies
mcdonald Posted 23 Feb 2008 , 12:59pm
post #2 of 13

If it were me, I would do it in two pieces... pink first and then the brown. It would give that overlapped effect at the top. As far as the lettering, stencils should do the trick. They work great!!

KHalstead Posted 23 Feb 2008 , 1:12pm
post #3 of 13

Confetti Cakes shows a really nice step by step on carving a purse cake and this purse looks to be almost the exact same shape...I think the top "collar" of the fondant doesn't necessarily have more cake up there holding, which probably looks awesome because it probably gives the illusion of you being able to look down into the top of the purse. This cake is incredible!!!! You could always transfer the logo onto the front of the fondant with a pencil....outline the logo on paper in pencil pushing down hard then flip the image onto the cake and gently go back over all the lines with the pencil and it will leave faint pencil lines on the cake for you to follow, then you could pipe it on in either chocolate or royal!

MikeRowesHunny Posted 23 Feb 2008 , 1:21pm
post #4 of 13

KHalstead is right on with the pencil trick - BUT, remember to horizontally flip your image BEFORE you print it out, or when you transfer your image to the cake it will be back to front (trust me - I learnt that the hard way lol)!

karapags Posted 23 Feb 2008 , 1:28pm
post #5 of 13

My niece loved this cake and wanted it for her birthday so I tried it. It did come out half as nice as hers but I was happy with it. I used about 5 tiers of square cake and started carving it out. I covered the whole thing in pink fondant and them add the brown accents. As for the lettering I printed out the logo and held it on the cake and used a pencil and just pressed hard to get the impression onto the fondant before it dried and go hard. Here is how mine came out.

mellormom Posted 23 Feb 2008 , 1:29pm
post #6 of 13

Thanks for the great tips. I never knew the pencil trick. (even though I'm not the one who started the thread. LOL)

karapags Posted 23 Feb 2008 , 1:33pm
post #7 of 13

Oh I forgot to tell you that the Juicy bag is called the Daydreamer bag so all I did was do a search and looked for that same logo and blew it up to the size I needed.

Hope that helps.

wgoat5 Posted 23 Feb 2008 , 1:36pm
post #8 of 13

Oh you did a great job on that karapags!!!!!!

I think those are great tips on this cake!!

I got a pm just a few minutes ago from a lady that said that NashvilleCakes was having a Ices Day of sharing on this cake on March 1st in Jackson Tenn. I'm not that far but my DH and I have a show that night that I have paid for and we have waited for months for icon_sad.gif ... I am SOOOO sad!!!

Ok if I did 3, 3 inch 10 in. square cakes would that be enough or should I do 3 12" square ones?

Ohhhh I'm icon_cry.gif ing !!!!

karapags Posted 23 Feb 2008 , 1:41pm
post #9 of 13

My cake didn't have to be that big so I used 3 10" pan.

I can't wait to see how you cake comes out.

Good luck.

Starkie Posted 23 Feb 2008 , 1:58pm
post #10 of 13

Stupid question here... did you support the cakes in the middle before you started carving? Did you add icing between the tiers? I haven't stacked anything over 2 layers without supporting it and putting it on straws/dowels. Aren't you afraid it will sink?

karapags Posted 23 Feb 2008 , 2:06pm
post #11 of 13

I put dowels and a smaller cake board in between the layer like in the book Confetti Cakes.

wgoat5 Posted 24 Feb 2008 , 1:43am
post #12 of 13

Kara did you just put tissue or something on top to hold the top "banding" up while it dried a bit? AND lol how did you attach the handles? with sugar glue to the sides of the banding or toothpicks?

Thank you for being so helpful!!!

karapags Posted 24 Feb 2008 , 1:50am
post #13 of 13

Once I put the band around the top of the cake I put rolled up saran wrap inside the top of the cake. With the handle I let dry and the attached them with melted chocolate.

Your very welcome. I can't wait to see your cake.

Quote by @%username% on %date%