Help! Please!

Decorating By jkjmoore79 Updated 23 Feb 2008 , 3:16pm by peanut123

jkjmoore79 Posted 23 Feb 2008 , 6:37am
post #1 of 3

How do you stop black icing from running into everyother color you have. I have also had this problem when using the gold beads, it is turning them pink.

I made a sheet cake that is white and it has a eight inch round cake in the corner. The round cake is all black and has ELVIS in the gold dragees. The Black is running onto the dragees and it is a pink color. I thought it might be to hot in my house but it was only 70 degrees. Unsure of what went wrong and looking for some awnsers. Please help!

2 replies
DianeLM Posted 23 Feb 2008 , 3:08pm
post #2 of 3

Sounds like there's A LOT of coloring in your icing. What brand of black coloring are you using? Americolor Super Black resists bleeding because you use so little compared to Wilton. Also, if you start with a dark or chocolate icing, you'll use less black coloring.

If you're using a crusting icing, I'd suggest waiting for the black to crust well, then glue your dragees on with a little royal or piping gel. Hopefully, that will provide a little barrier between your dragee and the icing.

peanut123 Posted 23 Feb 2008 , 3:16pm
post #3 of 3

Here are a few things to consider:

If the black icing is dry (crusted) the color should not âbleed.â Colors need moisture (or a solvent) to be able to move from one location to another. The humidity in the air could also contribute to color bleeding. Kitchens tend to have high humidity.

No moisture (solvent) = No âbleedingâ

I suspect that the gold dragees are turning pink because they were âpressedâ into the back icing. This allowed then to come in contact with moisture and absorb some of the red pigments that were used to make the black color.

Try another method to stick the dragees to the âicing crustâ without breaking the thin crust.

Good luck!

Quote by @%username% on %date%