Curdled-Looking Buttercream?

Decorating By AKA_cupcakeshoppe Updated 23 Feb 2008 , 12:36pm by AKA_cupcakeshoppe

AKA_cupcakeshoppe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AKA_cupcakeshoppe Posted 23 Feb 2008 , 6:15am
post #1 of 6

Hey. I made some buttercream last night. I basically took some ideas from sugarshack's BC and indydebi's recipe because i just wanted to make a small batch, in case I messed up. Which I did.

I used around 1 1/3 cups of shortening, 450 grams of powdered sugar, 1/4 cup hot water with 1/4 cup creamer and vanilla flavorings.

It looks afwul. It's curdled. How can I save it? I hate wasting the ingredients icon_sad.gif I promise I'd follow recipes to a T after this.

5 replies
wgoat5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wgoat5 Posted 23 Feb 2008 , 11:42am
post #2 of 6

Is it too thin? Did you beat your shortening first with your liquid for a decent amount of time? By curdled do you mean chunks of shortening are in your icing?

AKA_cupcakeshoppe Posted 23 Feb 2008 , 12:01pm
post #3 of 6

yeah small chunks and now there's a liquid in it too. it has separated! icon_sad.gif

how long should i have beaten the shortening and liquid together?

wgoat5 Posted 23 Feb 2008 , 12:12pm
post #4 of 6

sometimes I let mine mix for a good 4 minutes before even starting with the ps. Also take a wire whip and run it through your ps to make sure there aren't any stray lumps icon_smile.gif

Let your mixer beat your shortening and liquid beat for a longer time...and maybe use less liquid at first to insure incorporation...then if you need more you can add it icon_smile.gif

HTH's

Christi

wgoat5 Posted 23 Feb 2008 , 12:13pm
post #5 of 6

sometimes I let mine mix for a good 4 minutes before even starting with the ps. Also take a wire whip and run it through your ps to make sure there aren't any stray lumps icon_smile.gif

Let your mixer beat your shortening and liquid beat for a longer time...and maybe use less liquid at first to insure incorporation...then if you need more you can add it icon_smile.gif

HTH's

Christi

AKA_cupcakeshoppe Posted 23 Feb 2008 , 12:36pm
post #6 of 6

when i was mixing the shortening with the liquid it didn't come together at all, maybe I should have bought patience along with the shortening, huh? LOL i'm gonna have to try again then. I wanna make a good buttercream frosting icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%