Wilton Class Buttercream Without The Crisco

Baking By yumyea_cakes Updated 23 Feb 2008 , 7:35pm by kakeladi

yumyea_cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yumyea_cakes Posted 23 Feb 2008 , 4:45am
post #1 of 5

I'm in the Wilton class and was told that I cannot deviate from the class buttercream recipe, which ironically uses crisco instead of butter. Is there any other recipe that will work and won't compromise the icing consistency? Thanks!

4 replies
JoAnnB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoAnnB Posted 23 Feb 2008 , 6:11am
post #2 of 5

Welcome to Cake Central. Many icings that do not contain much or any butter are still called 'buttercream' However, for the purposes of the class, you should stick to the Wilton recipe. Once you are finished with the classes, you can try any of dozens of different recipes for icing.

I think it is important for consistancy during the learning phase.

dandelion56602 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dandelion56602 Posted 23 Feb 2008 , 6:30am
post #3 of 5

Actually in my Wilton class book it says 1/2 butter 1/2 shortening, but if you want a whiter icing to use all shortening. Ask your instructor. Use for the class, but I've not been able to get the recipe to turn out since Crisco became Trans Fat free

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 23 Feb 2008 , 7:19pm
post #4 of 5

Hi and Welcome, yumyea_cakes. icon_smile.gif

Link to CC acronyms:

http://forum.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-2926-.html

Buttercream - where's the butter:

http://forum.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-568833-.html

My Wilton instructor also insisted everyone use the same b/c recipe... for the same reason JoAnn stated.

HTH

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 23 Feb 2008 , 7:35pm
post #5 of 5

Wilton decorating is based largely on consistency of the icing used. You insturctor might not be able to help you solve problems that might come up when you use anything different.
To help improve the flavor you can sub about 1/2 cup of real butter in that recipe w/o a problem and increase the flavoring. That's will not make enough difference to cause problems.
Do you know you do NOT have to use a real cake in Wilton's classes? You can use a styrofoam dummy. You can then make your cake at home using any recipe you want and the techniques you learned in class. Great way to perfect your new skillsicon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%