What Do You Reccomend?

Decorating By lesn Updated 22 Feb 2008 , 10:29pm by alanahodgson

lesn Posted 22 Feb 2008 , 8:28pm
post #1 of 3

I am making a two tiered cake. I want to make the bottom a 10 inch and the top an 8 in both round. I am making it for a birthday party for 20-25 people. So my question is, Do I make one cake each and then cut into thirds and have two layers of filling or do I make two cakes and just fill the middle? Would the first be enough cake or would the second be to much? I hope that made sense icon_biggrin.gif Any help would be very appreciated.
Thanks
Leslie

2 replies
JoAnnB Posted 22 Feb 2008 , 9:11pm
post #2 of 3

A single 10' piece, cut and filled, and the 8' done the same will provide enough cake, in small servings. In orde to cut a single piece into three, your cake will need to be nice and high. Otherwise, you will only have enough to cut it once, which could also be fine.

It just won't be as tall as two pieces in each tier.

alanahodgson Posted 22 Feb 2008 , 10:29pm
post #3 of 3

I agree with JoAnnB. An 8" and 10" two layer cake will serve about 40 people. If you only use one layer and cut it in half (or thirds-which would be the same number of servings either way) would feed about 20. Are you baking in two inch deep pans? three inch? I guess if you bake in the three inch you could torte it twice and have two layers of filling. It would be very difficult to torte a 2" cake into three layers unless you had a professional cake leveler like an Agbay.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%