Question About Serving At Wedding...lots Of Questions

Decorating By mom42ws Updated 22 Feb 2008 , 8:32pm by SweetArt

mom42ws Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mom42ws Posted 22 Feb 2008 , 7:59pm
post #1 of 7

I need some advice please. I have a tasting (my first) for wedding cupcakes this weekend. The wedding is for 150 cupcakes and then a 6" round on the top tier. Should all the cupcakes be placed on the display stand or should their just be a portion on the stand and the remaining ones served from the kitchen? Is this something the bride would decide upon or me?

If some are served from the kitchen, do they have to be decorated the same? The reason I ask is because I've offered to put some type of flower on the cupcakes free of charge (in an effort to get the contract), and if only a portion are being served from the display stand maybe I only have to make enough for those cupcakes and not all??? Also, if some are served from the back, do I need to coordinate this with someone other than the bride - caterer or coordinator?

How big of a stand would it have to be to accommodate 150 cupcakes? How do I determine the size of it (the stand)?

Thank you for taking the time to read this and I appreciate your advice and suggestions!!!!

Ashley

6 replies
RRGibson Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RRGibson Posted 22 Feb 2008 , 8:09pm
post #2 of 7

Well, all of that is pretty much up to the bride actually. If you've already told her that you're going to do flowers for free, she's probably expecting them to be on all of the cupcakes but you really need to discuss this stuff with her. How they'll be served really isn't something that you should worry about. After you set it up however she wants it, then you don't have to worry about how it will be served. The caterer and/or coordinator can figure that partout. As far as the stand size, I'm not sure but I know somebody else will probably know the answer to that!

JoAnnB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoAnnB Posted 22 Feb 2008 , 8:13pm
post #3 of 7

For cupcakes, they should all be decorated the same. You can estimate how much room you need by measuring the cupcake papers, lined up in a row and allowing finger room between.

If all the cakes don't fit on the stand, the can be arranged on the table beside the stand or served from the kitchen.

Gale Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Gale Posted 22 Feb 2008 , 8:15pm
post #4 of 7

I would definitely put flowers on all the cupcakes so they will look special. JMO They will probably all be displayed on the stand anyway. Can't help you with the size of the stand though. The bride probably has someone to man the cake table just as she would if it was a regular wedding cake, but I would ask her to make sure. She may not have considered that. Good luck.

alanahodgson Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alanahodgson Posted 22 Feb 2008 , 8:22pm
post #5 of 7

For sure they should all have flowers. I wouldn't want to be the guest at the wedding sitting next to the guy with the beautiful cupcake while I just got a blob of icing smacked on mine. It's not quite the same concept as "kitchen cakes" because they're being served as is, not being cut into slices where you'd never know if it was decorated or not.

mom42ws Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mom42ws Posted 22 Feb 2008 , 8:27pm
post #6 of 7

Good points on the flowers...duh!

So I found this site and poured over it and wondered if anyone has tried it...

www.cupcaketree.com

It seems to be a really good deal and there are lots of photos of how these can be decorated.

SweetArt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetArt Posted 22 Feb 2008 , 8:32pm
post #7 of 7

The serving decision is definitely up to the bride. She will probably want them all on the stand. You could call her and ask her how she wants the display set up, and then say, "Hey, by the way, I was thinking that putting a flower on every cupcake may look too crowded and busy. How about a flower on every other cupcake to keep it simple and elegant?" Maybe put sprinkles or dregees on the other cupcakes.

Also, I've purchased from www.cupcaketree.com . It's a quick and simple (disposable) stand that works great.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%