Edible Jewels

Decorating By GamerGirl Updated 22 Feb 2008 , 8:18pm by costumeczar

GamerGirl Posted 22 Feb 2008 , 7:49pm
post #1 of 6

Does any one know where I can find edible jewels or sugar jewels that would have an irridecent color? Has anyone made them with sugar molds? I have a bride that wants me to replicate these Prada shoes for her topper that are covered in them. The shoe is no problem, but I am worried that I won't be able to make the gems. Please help! Thanks

5 replies
tiptop57 Posted 22 Feb 2008 , 8:00pm
post #2 of 6

The www.thejewelsofdenial.com/ is your best bet. This topic has been discussed many times before with the following results, some people were disappointed with the candy quality and making your own still will not make them sparkle. But you can get a jewel like tone and see throughness out of them. HTH

costumeczar Posted 22 Feb 2008 , 8:02pm
post #3 of 6

I did a search for edible rhinestones after reading your question, because I had a bride last week who wanted them on her cake. She said that she had seen them online, but the only thing I could find were sites that said that they had been joking when they first said "these are edible rhinestones," and were now getting inundated with questions from brides and bakers. As far as I can see, the closest you'll get would be to make some jewel-shaped sugar candies, either gumpaste or hard candy, then paint them with disco dust or another glitter-type dusting material. One person on the Wilton board said that she had done this with some gumpaste, and the pieces really sparkled when the light hit them.

GamerGirl Posted 22 Feb 2008 , 8:07pm
post #4 of 6

Thanks for the info! I will post the cake when it is completed.

costumeczar Posted 22 Feb 2008 , 8:07pm
post #5 of 6

Tiptop--Thanks for the information. Of course, the website says they're under new management and closed right now, but I'll keep the link for future reference. I'm going to go look at their stuff now to see how they make them, ha ha!

costumeczar Posted 22 Feb 2008 , 8:18pm
post #6 of 6

Fancyflours.com also sells cake jewels...It looks like all of these are just colored sugar poured into jewel-shaped candy molds. For tiny jewels, you could probably just melt jolly ranchers and drop tiny drops of them onto silicone sheets, then the sugar would dry in little round shapes. The ones that I've found (in my exhaustive 5-minute search, ha ha!) all look like they're pretty big.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%