Dist. Said There Is No Difference Between Pure Cane & Be

Decorating By julzs71 Updated 23 Feb 2008 , 7:02am by Gefion

julzs71 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
julzs71 Posted 22 Feb 2008 , 7:26pm
post #1 of 6

Dist. said there is no difference between pure cane & beet sugar. I guess all of us cake decorating folks who only use pure cane sugar are crazy!
I ask is your sugar beet or cane.
The girl said well it could be either or depending on who the supplier is, but it makes no difference in your cooking.
She was a very nice girl so I did tell her kindly that it does make a difference, but thank you for all your info.
What do you think?

5 replies
JoAnnB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoAnnB Posted 22 Feb 2008 , 8:32pm
post #2 of 6

An uninformed sales person. There are certainly many uses where it wouldn't make much difference, but in most cake decorating it makes a huge difference.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 22 Feb 2008 , 11:43pm
post #3 of 6

What a shame that companies will spend a fortune on decorating the upper management's offices, but they won't spend any money on training their front line employees who are actually dealing with the customer! (I see this ALL the time!)

It was my Sysco rep who educated me on the difference between beet and cane sugars. I will attest that this is one company who makes sure their sales reps are very informed on their products.

brnrlvr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brnrlvr Posted 23 Feb 2008 , 12:02am
post #4 of 6

I do a lot of pulled and blown sugar work and you need to use only cane sugar because beet has too many impurities in it. I think candy makers would probably agree too.

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 23 Feb 2008 , 3:02am
post #5 of 6

I used beet sugar ONCE for a batch of buttercream. It came out with an odd consistency, a greyish color, and tasted awful. It's the only batch I've ever just chucked & started over. I use pure cane only and won't buy anything that doesn't state "pure cane" on it.

I was told that all US confectioner's sugars contains a small percentage of cornstarch (<3%) to prevent clumping but that sometimes beet sugars need more because they tend to naturally clump more than cane. No matter, because after my experience, I'm a cane sugar snob (css)! icon_lol.gif

Rae

Gefion Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Gefion Posted 23 Feb 2008 , 7:02am
post #6 of 6

You must have some really weird beet sugar in the States icon_lol.gif we mainly get beet sugar here (cane is 4 times the price because it is imported), and I assure you, my sugar work, candies, cakes and frostings, are just fine icon_wink.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%