Buddha Cake

Decorating By dl5crew Updated 23 Feb 2008 , 4:26pm by TheButterWench

dl5crew Posted 23 Feb 2008 , 1:38am
post #1 of 10

If you want to do a buddha cake... I would first Google an image just to make sure it's correct.
For the cake itself. Maybe you could use the 3-d ball pan to make the body. Isn't the buddha thingy a round man. Sorry I'm not buddhist & don't know what it's called

9 replies
Doug Posted 23 Feb 2008 , 1:41am
post #2 of 10

this may help

just several layers staked and a head of RKT (rice krispie treats)

head would be on center dowel which has been left long to extend above cake and into the ball of RKT

I'd cover in fondant as it allows extra detailing to get folds of robs, hands etc.

---

FYI: the image is of an actual Korean buddha. I noted in searching the Korean version is much slimmer than the more rotund traditional Chinese buddha.
LL

dragonflydreams Posted 23 Feb 2008 , 3:59am
post #3 of 10

if you like this cake . . . http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo_1035503.html . . . you may want to PM praticeandpatience . . . I'm sure she would be happy to share her "tricks" with you . . .

TheButterWench Posted 23 Feb 2008 , 4:31am
post #4 of 10

Just make sure that it won't be offensive to them. If they are Buddhist it may.

It's like Making a cake in the shape of a religious Icon like Jesus or God or the Virgin Mary or such.

I wouldn't feel funny eating such cake, I would admire the workmanship and appreciate it, by the way Dragonfly, that cake is too exquisit for words and my son's nick name is buddha too, he was a fatty baby and his daddy is Asian.

pjmw Posted 23 Feb 2008 , 4:42am
post #5 of 10

doug--you amaze me...

GenGen Posted 23 Feb 2008 , 4:57am
post #6 of 10

how bout using the 3d winnie the pooh bear pan? that would make an excellent base for it!

teecakess Posted 23 Feb 2008 , 5:03am
post #7 of 10

you should search for pictures before you begin. make sure that it is buddha. because in buddism, there are many different gods. although i have no advice on how to make one, i wish you luck and am looking foward to the outcome. ive always wanted to do a buddha cake but it looks too hard lol.

and dl5crew, buddha is not a thingy. he is a god. im sorry if im stirring anything up but i find that very disrespectful.

Doug Posted 23 Feb 2008 , 5:06am
post #8 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheButterWench

Just make sure that it won't be offensive to them. If they are Buddhist it may.

It's like Making a cake in the shape of a religious Icon like Jesus or God or the Virgin Mary or such.

I wouldn't feel funny eating such cake, I would admire the workmanship and appreciate it, by the way Dragonfly, that cake is too exquisit for words and my son's nick name is buddha too, he was a fatty baby and his daddy is Asian.

very valid point...

which is why in doing the above design, I made sure to search for images using KOREAN buddha as the men in question are Korean.

The images returned, compared to those found by searching on Chinese Buddha are dramatically different in style and form.

The generic very rotund buddha westerners so often think of is generally in the style of the Chinese buddha.

It would show sensitivity to the cultural/ethnic issues in this situation to do the cake in the style that is indigenous to Korea rather than foisting upon them some western preconception of what a buddha should look like

Misdawn Posted 23 Feb 2008 , 4:23pm
post #9 of 10

Thank you so much everyone for all the input. This gives me a great start. I like your idea Doug with the stacked cakes. I'm glad you pointed out that the Korean Buddha was different. I never would have known that. I was thinking about the very rotund version of Buddha. I'll email my cousin back and ask her to talk to her MIL and make sure it wouldn't offfend anyone to see their religious icon in cake. I appreciate everyone's advice. I'll post back and keep you all updated!

TheButterWench Posted 23 Feb 2008 , 4:26pm
post #10 of 10

I'm keeping Doug's template in my files too, maybe I will make that cake for my son. It's a great Idea!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%