1St Edible Image - Waiting, Waiting, Waiting

Decorating By twinsmake5 Updated 23 Feb 2008 , 5:52pm by alanahodgson

twinsmake5 Posted 22 Feb 2008 , 8:38pm
post #1 of 9

couldn't wait...had to decide...pulled out the cold icing, a bag, and a tip 14...massaged the bag as I helped my little one in the shower...held it for a good 5-6 minutes.... it was still very stiff but I did the border with the cake in the box...it had to go!
LL

8 replies
alanahodgson Posted 22 Feb 2008 , 10:46pm
post #2 of 9

Well, If it's any consolation, I think it looks nicer with the border anyway, but I can understand your frustration, for sure.

milissasmom Posted 22 Feb 2008 , 11:05pm
post #3 of 9

Good call! Looks great!

Moofiebonbon Posted 22 Feb 2008 , 11:43pm
post #4 of 9

Sorry that I didnât read this sooner. I have done quite a few edible images. First you should not let your icing crust before applying the image. Some moisture is needed to allow image to attach and meld into the icing, which in my experience it never truly and fully melds in. I have in the past allowed the icing to crust then sprayed with a very fine mist of water then applied the image. I have gotten mixed results, sometimes it works, sometimes not. Yes, you can âfineâ smooth your cake after the image is on. I always try to make it as smooth as I can get it first, then I apply image, and then I use a viva towel and the roller together. That seems to work best for me.
I generally always include a border, because like I said in my experience it never fully melds with the icing.
BTW, your cake is very pretty!
Hope this helps in the future!

fiddlesticks Posted 23 Feb 2008 , 3:00pm
post #5 of 9

Does anyone know ..Can you refrigerate a cake that with an EI on it ? Thanks !

lauramw71 Posted 23 Feb 2008 , 3:08pm
post #6 of 9

I bought an image from walmart and noticed the same thing. I thought I had forgotten to take the backing off! I just ordered a printer so this was a great topic.
BTW your cake is absolutely GORGEOUS!! and the border around the EI looks beautiful too!!!

twinsmake5 Posted 23 Feb 2008 , 4:24pm
post #7 of 9

Thanks for the nice words! Last night I made another lemony cake - I loved that recipe!!! I just did this for us and I cut apart the edible image that I didn't use. (I had printed the saying in two different shades of blue as I'm still learning how the printer colors work!) So I cut "Sweet" apart from the other words. I iced the cake quickly, smoothing it quickly especially where the word would go. Put a spritz of water on the back, laid it on the cake, then took a viva towel and smoothed the whole cake even more. A few hours later it already looked better than the first try at this. Next morning you could still see the borders of the image but not very much. I agree that it will not completely disappear and from now on I will put a border around the image in my plans.

twinsmake5 Posted 23 Feb 2008 , 4:25pm
post #8 of 9

Thanks for the nice words! Last night I made another lemony cake - I loved that recipe!!! I just did this for us and I cut apart the edible image that I didn't use. (I had printed the saying in two different shades of blue as I'm still learning how the printer colors work!) So I cut "Sweet" apart from the other words. I iced the cake quickly, smoothing it quickly especially where the word would go. Put a spritz of water on the back, laid it on the cake, then took a viva towel and smoothed the whole cake even more. A few hours later it already looked better than the first try at this. Next morning you could still see the borders of the image but not very much. I agree that it will not completely disappear and from now on I will put a border around the image in my plans.

alanahodgson Posted 23 Feb 2008 , 5:52pm
post #9 of 9

Ah! Thanks for the update!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%