Wedding Cake Help

Decorating By alwayscro Updated 5 Jan 2007 , 5:01am by SweetResults

alwayscro Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alwayscro Posted 4 Jan 2007 , 11:43pm
post #1 of 5

I am attempting to make my first wedding cake for my best friend (talk about pessure), and have no idea where to start! I will most likely be using a buttercream icing and it will be a tiered cake ( but that is all I know for now). I need all the help I can get so anybody with experience please give me some tips, advice, recipes, etc. How do I assemble a tiered cake? What's the best way to transport it? How far in advance can I make it? How long can it sit out? Will I get a chance to assemble it in time considering I'm in the bridal party and will have other responsibilities that day? HELP!!!!

4 replies
tyty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tyty Posted 4 Jan 2007 , 11:55pm
post #2 of 5

CHECK OUT THESE SITES FOR HELP

www.wilton.com for cake construction
There is a wealth of info in this site as well, check out the recipe's and other info.

JoAnnB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoAnnB Posted 4 Jan 2007 , 11:57pm
post #3 of 5

I highly recommend getting a Wilton wedding cake book. It has recipes, instructions, serving guides and planning information.

Richard Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Richard Posted 5 Jan 2007 , 1:09am
post #4 of 5

Plan your day to include what responsibilities you will have but a Wilton Book has so much info for situations like this.

Pick out the cake you want to do assuming the bride is giving you cart blanch and plan how and when you will do all the steps involved.

Hope that helped.

Kathy

SweetResults Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetResults Posted 5 Jan 2007 , 5:01am
post #5 of 5

I have done 2 cakes this past year for weddings that I was also in. My advice to you is to make sure that you can deliver the cake the day before the wedding.

The day of could be stressful for you even without the responsiblity of the cake, you will be expected to be dressed and ready for pictures hours before the wedding, plus you should be able to enjoy the day as well.

The second wedding I was in I made sheet cakes to be hidden in the kitchen and had a dummy cake with one real layer of cake for display. The staff was great about not letting anyone in on the secret. Bride and Groom cut the cake and it was wheeled off into the kitchen to be "cut". Then they served the sheet cakes. It was much less stressful as I could make the elaborate cake the Monday before the wedding (which was on a Friday). And the layered sheet cakes were a snap to bang out. I HIGHLY recommend this if you can pull it off. No one but you and the bride have to know.

Now mind you this also depends on how many people you will be baking for. Both weddings were about 200 people, if you have a smaller wedding of say 50, then it won't be as bad.

All I can say is do as much as you can ahead of time, find out what the bride wants and work within your limits.

I work from doctored cake mixes, I just can't do scratch - I love the Cake Doctor books and the Extender recipe found here. What do you usually do for fillings? Keep things simple, you really have to have this cake completed the day before the wedding, so think of frostings and fillings that can sit out overnight and still be fine, unless you have plenty of room in the fridge or it can be delivered and they have space to fridge it overnight at the reception place.

Feel free to PM me anytime for more details, it can be done, just prepare carefully and plan ahead. Good Luck!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%