Can You Give Some Idea On Price?

Baking By dustymorris Updated 24 Feb 2008 , 2:13am by leily

dustymorris Posted 22 Feb 2008 , 6:26pm
post #1 of 13

TheButterWench
Posted: Sat Feb 23, 2008 2:02 am Post subject:

Dustymorris,

Please do not feel sad or bad about what you wrote. Here is a big hug for you {{{YOU}}} You posed a very valid question that made a lot of people think.

Thanks, TheButterWench!! I needed a hug!!! icon_smile.gif

12 replies
CINDY1956 Posted 22 Feb 2008 , 6:34pm
post #2 of 13

icon_cry.gifI REALLY, REALLY FEEL BAD FOR POSTING THIS! icon_cry.gif

CINDY1956 Posted 22 Feb 2008 , 7:19pm
post #3 of 13

I was trying to see if my workmanship on the cookies were even good enough to sell, and what pricing would be...

HBcakes Posted 22 Feb 2008 , 8:00pm
post #4 of 13

I wouldn't feel bad either!! You obviously weren't asking for controversy; but these types of discussions are important to have. Learning something new and seeing what others are doing/thinking is what I love most about this site. Great thing is that everyone is honest & trying to be helpful, even when opinions are different.

I was thinking a little bit ago...

What if I tell the customer I can't put the logo (character, etc.) on the cake if I'm charging for it, SO, if you pay me $8 extra dollars for the cake to put it on, I'll throw in the logo for free icon_wink.gif I'm just kidding of course icon_lol.gif --- I've been bouncing around ideas on how to work around stuff on the next character order. You hate to tell people they gotta pay for the cake, and on top of that they need to find the figures to put on it; it's nice to sell a finished product. But if customers really like your work I'm sure they'll be willing to work with you and understand why you wouldn't put yourelf in a compromising situation.

But I will say it really STINKS!!!

dustymorris Posted 22 Feb 2008 , 8:27pm
post #5 of 13

CINDY1956-- Your work is OUTSTANDING!!! And yes, it is good enough to sell.....if it were LEGAL icon_confused.gif , for Hello Kitty, I would say $4.00 each. Those are alot of work and your detail is excellant!!! thumbs_up.gif

FromScratch Posted 22 Feb 2008 , 10:53pm
post #6 of 13

Cindy.. please don't feel bad for posting. No one here is upset at anyone..

I said before and I'll say it again.. your work is excellent and definitely sale worthy. Sell you bunny cookies and stay clear of the licensed characters. Your cookies rock!!

rozdei Posted 23 Feb 2008 , 3:51pm
post #7 of 13

Cindy and Dusty, I hope you don't feel bad for posting because I have learned a lot from this discussion.

I'm sorry if this was answered before but someone mentioned that the Wal-Marts and Targets purchase the licensed cake toppers, etc. to put on their licensed cakes...does that mean little ol' home cake baker can purchase these and sell their cakes in the clear?

Or does it have to be does it have to be like jkalman stated earlier, you decorate the cake and let the customer put on whatever they want, even if it's a licensed character.

I made a Hello Kitty cake with a store bought Hello Kitty marshmallow lollipop on it for a DOS and for my co-workers (to consume for free) but would this be a no-no for a paid cake too?

Cindy, your cookies are beautiful.

TIA,
~Julie~

FromScratch Posted 23 Feb 2008 , 4:54pm
post #8 of 13

Unfortunately Julie it would be a no-no too.. if you sell it with anything Hello Kitty (or any licensed character) on it it's illegal. We as decorators can't even put the toys on the cake and sell it. They do sell the deco-pacs, but you have to decorate the cake to their exact specifiations and they aren't cute (if you ask me). Plus you have to have your tax ID number and buy them in quantity from what I have heard. I'd never do it because I would hate to be restricted in designing a cake.

rozdei Posted 23 Feb 2008 , 5:21pm
post #9 of 13

Thanks, jkalman.

I appreciate the reply.

FromScratch Posted 23 Feb 2008 , 6:31pm
post #10 of 13

No problem. I know it's hard, but there are ways to skirt the issue if you just have the customer do all of the licensed character embellishing. Tell them where to get the items and they can place them on the cake. Or charge the $8000.00 for the cake to cover any legal fees and fines. icon_wink.gif (kidding of COURSE)

mellormom Posted 23 Feb 2008 , 7:16pm
post #11 of 13

This was a very helpful post! It answered a lot of questions I was having about copy right and could find the answers too.
My cake instructor warned us about character cakes because two people on the west coast lost there cake businesses because of it. She said they do prosecute and they are not nice about it either. They don't care how small of a business you are or anything.
I was told also that it isn't just about the money. They want to have quality control as well. They don't want just anyone making there cakes because if they are not good quality....
This was a very good post and no one should feel bad. It enformed a lot of people I'm sure.
Jen...

mellormom Posted 23 Feb 2008 , 7:24pm
post #12 of 13

one more thing I learned and forgot to share. I read somewhere that if you have a copyright you have to defend it. If you don't you can lose your copyright.
Jen...

leily Posted 24 Feb 2008 , 2:13am
post #13 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmyoung5

Do these companies even realize that when you really think about it, we're not really profiting off their licensed character or logo, but more than likely the actual cake itself? I don't care how beautiful a cake looks, if it tastes like crap I wouldn't want it. What's really being sold here is the food, not the character.

I am not sure I can agree with this statement. If someone is looking for a licensed character or item (logo etc..) as the design of their cake then they are most likely going to shop around until they find someone to do it. So they are not just buying the cake, they are buying the design they want and they are going to pay the person that will do it. So for me it is a lost sale.

So yes we are profitting off of their character b/c if I didn't do the character then I loose the sale and they go somewhere else. if I do the character then I get the sale. The character is the deciding factor in who the customer picks as their cake provider.

Granted I know it is not always like this and most people are more than willing to work with you if you do not have any licensed characters to use on the cake.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%