Adding Mayo??

Decorating By CreamPuffGal Updated 23 Feb 2008 , 1:05am by playingwithsugar

CreamPuffGal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CreamPuffGal Posted 22 Feb 2008 , 7:35pm
post #1 of 5

Hi,

Don't know about adding sourcream, but another friend told me this morning that she adds applesauce in place of oil in recipes to add moisture, and it's a healthier substitute than mayo.

Another variation for me to try. Any feedback from you more experienced bakers?

Cheers,
CPG

4 replies
JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 22 Feb 2008 , 7:38pm
post #2 of 5

Scratch recipes aren't as forgiving as mix recipes when substantially altering the formulas.

Might want to experiment by adding a tablespoon of sour cream, not a full cup. icon_smile.gif

If your cake doesn't turn out as expected, this troubleshooting chart might help.

Cake troubleshooting chart:

http://tinyurl.com/2p5bdu

Adding fruit, or fruit sauce to cake batter - along with other hints & tips for great cakes:

http://tinyurl.com/2fxvuv

HTH

alanahodgson Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alanahodgson Posted 22 Feb 2008 , 7:43pm
post #3 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by JanH

Scratch recipes aren't as forgiving as mix recipes when substantially altering the formulas.

Might want to experiment by adding a tablespoon of sour cream, not a full cup. icon_smile.gif

If your cake doesn't turn out as expected, this troubleshooting chart might help.

Cake troubleshooting chart:

http://tinyurl.com/2p5bdu

That's what I'm thinkin'! So if someone has success with adding mayo to their scratch cake, I want to know more about it. Please, tell us!!

Julisa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Julisa Posted 23 Feb 2008 , 12:52am
post #4 of 5

I have added applesause in place of half of the oil in a carrot cake and it came out wonderful.

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 23 Feb 2008 , 1:05am
post #5 of 5

Here's the original recipe, direct from the Hellmann's Mayonnaise website -

CHOCOLATE MAYONNAISE CAKE

Serves: 12
Prep Time: 10 Minute(s) Cook Time: 30 Minute(s)

2 cups all-purpose flour
2/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1-1/4 tsp. baking soda
1/4 tsp. baking powder
3 eggs
1-2/3 cups sugar
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1 cup Hellmann's® or Best Foods® Real Mayonnaise
1-1/3 cups water

1. Preheat oven to 350°. Grease and lightly flour two 9-inch round cake pans*; set aside.

2. In medium bowl, combine flour, cocoa, baking soda and baking powder; set aside.

3. In large bowl, with electric mixer at high speed, beat eggs, sugar and vanilla for 3 minutes or until light and fluffy. Beat in Hellmann's® or Best Foods® Real Mayonnaise at low speed until blended. Alternately beat in flour mixture with water, beginning and ending with flour mixture. Pour into prepared pans.

4. Bake 30 minutes or until toothpick inserted in centers comes out clean. On wire racks, cool 10 minutes; remove from pans and cool completely. Frost, if desired, or sprinkle with confectioners sugar.

*Or, prepare cake mix as above in 13 x 9-inch baking pan and bake 40 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.

About adding applesauce to a cake mix - I have done this on several occasions, and my family has never noticed. I thought it wise to try, since I use SMBC, which is loaded with butter. I exchange equal amounts of applesauce for oil, and have never had a cake fail.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%