Dave Ramsey?

Lounge By dldbrou Updated 26 Mar 2010 , 9:01pm by rainyone

dldbrou Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dldbrou Posted 23 Feb 2008 , 1:35pm
post #1 of 9

ShortcakesSweets, be careful about canceling credit card accounts. I just heard this week that when you close down accounts, it will negatively affect your credit rating. Go figure. I think that if you have a yearly charge, then go ahead and cancel, otherwise you could always get a plastic dish, fill it with water, put your cards in it and freeze it. Sounds silly, but if you have to wait for it to thaw out, then you have time to think about whether or not you need to use the card and you have a greater chance of not using it. This is what an accountant told me years ago. I still do not understand the credit ratings, if you do not owe anyone, your credit ratings suffer, if you owe too much, it suffers, and if you cancel paid off accounts it suffers. When or what makes a good credit rating?

8 replies
indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 23 Feb 2008 , 2:08pm
post #2 of 9

omg, those credit ratings things seem like such a scam to me! Your score goes down if you get a new card ... it goes down if you use too much credit ... it goes down if you pay them off and cancel the account.

I closed one account and the company actually threatened me with how it would affect my credit rating!! icon_surprised.gif

TheCakerator Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TheCakerator Posted 23 Feb 2008 , 4:19pm
post #3 of 9

I have heard that canceling all of your lines of credit once paid off can be a negative impact because it is like you are starting all over with no credit under your name .. You should keep some lines of credit open, just not use them ..

ShortcakesSweets Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShortcakesSweets Posted 23 Feb 2008 , 4:31pm
post #4 of 9

Well, that just stinks. I was under the impression that if you have a bunch of opened credit accounts even with zero balances that it would negatively affect your credit rating because creditors see it as a disaster waiting to happen.
Oh, well, I'm still going to pay them off, shred the cards and not use the account.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 24 Feb 2008 , 12:42am
post #5 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShortcakesSweets

Well, that just stinks. I was under the impression that if you have a bunch of opened credit accounts even with zero balances that it would negatively affect your credit rating because creditors see it as a disaster waiting to happen.
Oh, well, I'm still going to pay them off, shred the cards and not use the account.

Shortcakes, I've heard that too. It seems they've got you no matter what. If you have high balances, you're dinged for that. If you pay them off and have no debt, then they tell you, "Yeah, but you COULD charge up $10,000 worth of stuff tomorrow!"

damned if you do ... damned if you don't.

I find the whole thing a racket designed to screw the consumer. My hubby was a banker for 25 years and he agrees!

Newatdecorating Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Newatdecorating Posted 21 Mar 2009 , 5:18pm
post #6 of 9

As you can see from my signature, I am a Dave Ramsey fan. We have done the emergency fund, debt snowball and started closing credit card accounts. We were tired of always owing for something. And we really don't care what our credit score is or what effect this is having on our score.

KrisD13 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KrisD13 Posted 22 Mar 2009 , 4:52am
post #7 of 9

Ummm...who is Dave Ramsey?

tirby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tirby Posted 26 Mar 2010 , 8:43pm
post #8 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by KrisD13

Ummm...who is Dave Ramsey?

Has anyone answered this? the post seems gone I am a dave ramsey fan too.

rainyone Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rainyone Posted 26 Mar 2010 , 9:01pm
post #9 of 9

I think it looks worse if you are at your limit .if you have 10 000 of available credit and 1000 of actual debt it is better then having 1000 of credit and 1000 of debt. Do you know what I mean? it's the ratio.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%