Question About Perma Ice

Decorating By deijha Updated 13 Jul 2008 , 3:32pm by sweettoothmom

deijha Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
deijha Posted 3 Jan 2007 , 4:12pm
post #1 of 11

Hi all, I was just reading about perma ice. It says you can use Royal Icing on it, after its dry and the royal will then wash off but not the perma ice. Well I'm wondering about buttercream? Can you use it on a cake dummy that has been iced with perma icing? Will it hurt the perma ice? Like cause bleeding into it, or will the grease in buttercream soften the perma ice? Help calling all who have used perma ice!! Thanks
Jeanne

10 replies
deijha Posted 3 Jan 2007 , 4:14pm
post #2 of 11

OH also forgot to ask, can you use it in molds?
Thanks for all the help CC'ers
Jeanne

JoAnnB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoAnnB Posted 3 Jan 2007 , 6:54pm
post #3 of 11

Permaice dries like plaster, and is washable. Normally, you wouldn't combine icings, but buttercream might be OK

as for molds, I doubt the item would come out of a mold.

deijha Posted 3 Jan 2007 , 7:23pm
post #4 of 11

Oh Thank you JoAnnB. Maybe I will give it a test try and see what happens. I would like to make a dummy cake but use it for different practices. I would rather use buttercream than royal.
Thanks again
Jeanne

cocorum21 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cocorum21 Posted 3 Jan 2007 , 7:40pm
post #5 of 11

So after you use the perma ice that's it? Or can I just use it as a base so it makes the dummy easier to clean? and then add my fondant over it when I want to decorate?

JoAnnB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoAnnB Posted 3 Jan 2007 , 8:16pm
post #6 of 11

You could use it under fondant, but it is expensive. I have only seen it 5gallon buckets. That is a LOT of icing.

I just cover my cake dummies with contact paper-icing comes off fairly easy.

deijha Posted 4 Jan 2007 , 4:03pm
post #7 of 11

I found it at http://www.countrykitchensa.com/catalog/product.aspx?T=1&productId=1718 In the 1 quart size for around $17.00 and Perma Ice Icing-1 Gallon
$49.50

Here is the first few lines from the website.
Perma Ice Icing-1 Quart
Magic Line Perma-Ice is ideal icing for decorating dummy cakes, show cakes, ice cream displays and more. It is a non-edible, artificial icing specially formulated for creating beautiful display cakes. It

It is expensive, but I think for what I need the 1 quart will work great.
You can check it out at county kitchen sweet art. I am going up there this weekend. I live about 1 1/2 hours from there.

cambo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cambo Posted 4 Jan 2007 , 5:53pm
post #8 of 11

JoAnnB - Where have you seen PermaIce in a 5-gallon bucket? I've only seen it in 1 Quart or 1 Gallon containers! Sugarcraft is a little less expensive than countrykitchensa.com.....and also I found cake dummies REALLY CHEAP at www.dallas-foam.com. Their pricing is literally a FRACTION of countrykitchensa.com! I'm so stoked! I would like to get into the wedding cake market this year (New Resolution) and am getting really excited!

sweettoothmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweettoothmom Posted 11 Jul 2008 , 10:42pm
post #9 of 11

Jeanne,
I was wondering how your dummy cakes turnout using the Perma Ice.
Did you try it in the molds?
I was told it most likely wouldnt work and the molds would not be reuseable for food afterwards.

i just dont understand why you can use all your other cake tools and wash them immediatly after but the molds would be none useable. Would the silicone absorb the chemicals? Or would it bond to the mold and not release at all?
Anyone HELP!

onebigdogmama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
onebigdogmama Posted 12 Jul 2008 , 4:22am
post #10 of 11

So if you got, say white, can you color it just like normal buttercream? If you were using dummys? Hmmmm?

sweettoothmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweettoothmom Posted 13 Jul 2008 , 3:32pm
post #11 of 11

According to the manufacturers directions it says it can be colored. I have yet to try it but I will post my findings as soon as I do! Only real decoration directions state add coloring sparingly to retain consistency.

I thought about using Acrylic paints normally used for tole painting to hand paint the flowers I plan to use on the white cake. If I just place them on wire I can then insert them or perhaps just use a double sided glue dot to adhere them and then i can remove them and replace them with something else to use it as a visual aid for a client. I dont know about you all but as an artist my vision is sometimes locked up in my head and hard to communicate with someone else until they see the final project completed. I think maybe I can help them see my vision and still be certain they are comfortable with the design. Is that really juvenile? Sometimes the things that run through my mind seem great then I voice it and it seems a little stupid. Any input would be fabulous.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%