Cake Idea's

Decorating By Michie21 Updated 3 Jan 2007 , 1:34am by AngD

Michie21 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Michie21 Posted 2 Jan 2007 , 3:15pm
post #1 of 11

Hi Everyone!

I was asked to do a cake for a friends' husband. He's a carpenter by trade and loves his job! I'm trying to think of a cute idea for his birthday cake. I wanted to keep it fairly simple but also make it nice. Any suggestions for a Carpenters Birthday Cake???

Thanks in advance for the help!!

10 replies
AngD Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AngD Posted 2 Jan 2007 , 3:26pm
post #2 of 11

How about making different fondant tools, a saw, tape measure, screw driver, hammer, maybe spell happy birthday in fondant nails. what do ya think?

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 2 Jan 2007 , 3:34pm
post #3 of 11

Yes, if you know anything about molding chocolates they have a toolbox with tools mold out there. My hubby is a handyman so I make those for him sometimes and put them on top of cakes -- he loves it!

vickymacd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vickymacd Posted 2 Jan 2007 , 3:35pm
post #4 of 11

I thought similar, but making the tools out of chocolate (which they have molds for) and making a tool box out of cake.
Or maybe a fondant apron that they wear with his name on the top like Home Depot; or one of the half aprons with the tools sticking out of it. I like the nail spelling too!

BrandisBaked Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BrandisBaked Posted 2 Jan 2007 , 3:44pm
post #5 of 11

I once did a cake where I worked for a construction worker. It was a KopyKake image, but I thought it was cute. Probably not what you're looking for, but I thought it might help spark ideas.

http://www.brandibabe.net/pics/v/Cakes/PP+Cakes+007.jpg.html

Keep in mind that I had to complete cakes in 20 minutes or less - so it's not that great. *sigh*

Granpam Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Michie21 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Michie21 Posted 2 Jan 2007 , 4:00pm
post #7 of 11

THANK YOU ALL SO MUCH!!! THOSE ARE SOME GREAT IDEAS!!!!

I think i'm going to incorporate a few..I love the tool box idea (can't believe I didn't think of that myself! duhh) and also I love the tape measure border around the picture BrandiBakes posted!

I'll be sure to post some pictures of the finished product!

Happy New Year to you all!

AlamoSweets Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AlamoSweets Posted 2 Jan 2007 , 9:04pm
post #8 of 11

FYI,
I use MMF in my chocolate molds all of the time. For instance you could use gray MMF for the head of the hammer and brown and white mixed to make it look like wood for the handle. If you put too much in each mold it gives you enough to pull it out with and then just trim the extra off. I hardly ever use them for chocolate!

AngD Posted 2 Jan 2007 , 9:15pm
post #9 of 11

do you spray your mold with pam or anything so the mmf doesn't stick?

AlamoSweets Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AlamoSweets Posted 2 Jan 2007 , 9:22pm
post #10 of 11

My MMF doesn't stick and I don't spray. However, if your MMF feels the least bit tacky add a tough of shortening to your hands and knead it a little. That should keep it from sticking. I prefer not to use freshly made MMF. It is much too soft. I let it sit out in the open air a little if I just made it to dry just a little. Just make sure that you totally overfill the mold so there is plenty for you to pinch to pull it out. That part can be easily trimmed when it drys a little.

AngD Posted 3 Jan 2007 , 1:34am
post #11 of 11

Thanks alamosweets, something to keep in mind for working with MMF now. icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%