Cleaning Tips And Couplers....

Decorating By debsuewoo Updated 5 Sep 2005 , 7:32pm by candyladyhelen

wifeshelper Posted 9 Aug 2005 , 10:42pm
post #31 of 47

My wife might freak out lol but i think ill give it a try just see.. Thank god we have 2 microwaves.

The thing you learn on this site. icon_lol.gif

PureShugga Posted 10 Aug 2005 , 8:04am
post #32 of 47
Originally Posted by Misdawn

Ok...if the tips are metal and you aren't supposed to put metal in the microwave....isn't that a bit unsafe?

No it's not unsafe because the metal is not exposed in the microwave - that's why you must make sure the tips are completely covered by water.

jscakes Posted 10 Aug 2005 , 8:31am
post #33 of 47

Well, this is something that I am going to do next time! I do have a question for you Junebuggy, can I use another kind of soap and add a dash of bleach to it without having a chemical reaction from the microwave?

Cakepro Posted 10 Aug 2005 , 9:08am
post #34 of 47

What I instruct my students who have no dishwaters to do is place all their tips and couplers into a plastic bowl, fill halfway with the hottest water that comes out of the tap, and add a teaspoon or two of Dawn. Snap on the lid and shake for half a minute or so. Drain soapy water, rinse tips and couplers under running water, and toss onto a paper towel or dishcloth to air dry. It's all done in under 3 minutes.

I can't believe there are people in the world who actually use the tip brush. Poor people!! That takes entirely too much time and effort.

jscakes, do not mix dish soap and bleach, either in or out of the microwave.

~ Sherri

SheilaF Posted 10 Aug 2005 , 4:55pm
post #35 of 47

I guess I need to invest in some Dawn. I use a strainer when I'm rinsing my tips. I have a small one (not sure why they have one that small in the pampered chef set) and it works well for the tips.

junebuggey Posted 10 Aug 2005 , 5:01pm
post #36 of 47
Originally Posted by jscakes

Well, this is something that I am going to do next time! I do have a question for you Junebuggy, can I use another kind of soap and add a dash of bleach to it without having a chemical reaction from the microwave?

Strickly speaking, there would be no reaction between bleach and standard dish soap (that is in many disinfection solutions not containing Ammonia ie: dishwasher soap), but read the label carefully. Also, one person's dash is another's 1/4 cup. The bleach should be used sparingly if you really think it is necessary. I would save it for cleaning the mold in the frig.

Remember, bleach is not a degreaser it is a germ killer. If you are looking for a degreaser, then vinegar is a better choice. The hot water is more than adequate to disinfect the tips.


jscakes Posted 10 Aug 2005 , 5:04pm
post #37 of 47

Personally, I don't like Dawn dish soap because the smell seems to linger in the plastic items, especially tupperware. (just my opinion ladies) I use Palmolive dish soap and have always used a drop of bleach in the wash water when cleaning my icing/cake utensils and now I'm not supposed to? Hmmm, I do know some chemicals you are not supposed to mix but I didn't think the mild dish soap was one of them. icon_sad.gif
Are there any others out there who do this, I'm curious if I'm the only "obsessive compulsive" one when it comes to cleaning everything!!!

tcturtleshell Posted 10 Aug 2005 , 6:49pm
post #38 of 47

I agree jscakes! I don't use bleach everytime I wash my tips/bags/couplers but I do use it once a month to clean everything I have with it. When I worked at a school lunch room, bleach has to be in the wash water & rinse water. My hands were so dry & cracking when I worked there but we had to do it. No problems from the bleach so far & I've been using it a long time~. icon_smile.gif

I clean my stuff the VERY LAZY WAY!!!! I fill the sink up w/ VERY HOT WATER, Dawn, & dump everthing in it. I shake the stuff around & let it sit till it's cooled off (overnite is the norm) then I fill the other side of the sink up the same way. Move all the stuff to that sink! Then do it one more time! All I have to do is rinse them off & air dry~ Like I said I'm lazy when it comes to bags/couplers/tips. LOL icon_smile.gif

Sugar Posted 10 Aug 2005 , 6:55pm
post #39 of 47

I have noticed that Dawn smell too! Mostly it's there if you let stuff sit for too long. I also notice that with bleach too. I can smell it on items for days after.

Mostly I use dawn because I have my dish soap out in a pretty bottle and the blue matches my kitchen. Plus it's great for that disgusting class buttercream. icon_lol.gif

NEWTODECORATING Posted 10 Aug 2005 , 7:08pm
post #40 of 47

Jscakes, your not alone. My Grandfather was diagnosed with mouth cancer nearly 20 years ago and being very uneducated and just plain scared my grandmother started washing all of the dishes with dawn and a drop or two of bleach. Well, we all know better now but it is something my mom and I just can't seem to let go of. We still put a drop or two in just out of habit.

SheilaF Posted 10 Aug 2005 , 7:12pm
post #41 of 47

bleach triggers my asthma, so that is one cleaning agent that I never have in my house. I scrub and then "sterilize" in the dishwasher.

yh9080 Posted 11 Aug 2005 , 4:33pm
post #42 of 47

I had a ton of tips and couplers from a novelty cake last night so I decided to give the microwave idea a try. I figured that best case scenario-it would work and worse case - I would get a new microwave (mine is 20+years old). It worked beautifully and I can't thank Junebuggy enough!

KayDay Posted 11 Aug 2005 , 4:35pm
post #43 of 47

I gotta try this one

leily Posted 13 Aug 2005 , 4:37pm
post #44 of 47

I just tried this, after a bit of hesitation, and I will not clean my tips any other way now!! I threw in a couple of couplers and it took the icing right off, I just had to run through another hot sink to get the rest of the oil residue off.

Thanks for this great!, but unusual, way of cleaning!


CakesByEllen Posted 15 Aug 2005 , 3:34pm
post #45 of 47

OK, last night I tried the microwave cleaning tip. I watched it the entire time. DH saw me and asked what I was doing, when I told him, he exclaimed it was metal! I told him I was only doing once tip and watching it. He said he wasn't worried about the tip, but the micro. In his defense, we have an advantium oven, which is a microwave that costs about $700.

Anyway, it seemed to work fine. I put the dirty tip in, and it seemed clean when it came out. I put it in the drain rack and will see once it dries how clean it really came.

Thanks for the cleaning tip!

cakegal Posted 19 Aug 2005 , 3:14pm
post #46 of 47

After reading this, I'm going to give it a try... I need a new microwave i hate the cleaning up process of the tips too...ugh.. This sounds really easy to me..
I'll let you know what happens on my next cake clean up..
Happy zapping,

candyladyhelen Posted 5 Sep 2005 , 7:32pm
post #47 of 47

I just keep a large container filled w/boiling water. Then I just drop my tips
in as I go along. By the time I am done, they are all cleaned.

Quote by @%username% on %date%