How To Make Box Cake Mix Dense?

Baking By chikie Updated 25 Aug 2005 , 5:56am by crimsonhair

chikie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chikie Posted 8 Aug 2005 , 5:00pm
post #1 of 6

What do you add to a box mix to make the cake dense?
~Tiffany~

5 replies
debsuewoo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debsuewoo Posted 8 Aug 2005 , 5:06pm
post #2 of 6

Hi Chikie! I can answer this for you..... add 1 cup of flour and 1 egg to the mix as directed on the box and you will have a denser cake. Easy Peasy!

Debbi

mohara Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mohara Posted 8 Aug 2005 , 7:01pm
post #3 of 6

I have made a couple out of the Cake Mix doctor books and it seems whenever you add sour cream, yogurt, instant pudding mix, an extra egg, etc it makes it more dense.

I think sour cream does the best.

On the Cake Mix Dctr website they have a recipe for a "not so plain" vanilla cake, and it uses vanilla yogurt, an extra egg and vanilla instant pudding...and this cake is the moistest most dense cake I've ever had. The top of the cake literally looked wet from moisture (after it cooled) before it was frosted. It was out of this world!

Maryanne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Maryanne Posted 8 Aug 2005 , 7:15pm
post #4 of 6

I've also read that you can add 1 small package of instant pudding, 1 extra egg, and substitute milk for the water. I've tried it and it works pretty well. icon_smile.gif

Misdawn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Misdawn Posted 8 Aug 2005 , 7:26pm
post #5 of 6

I add a tub of store-bought frosting. It makes it slightly more dense and supermoist!

crimsonhair Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crimsonhair Posted 25 Aug 2005 , 5:56am
post #6 of 6

I use cake mixes and add sour cream and more eggs and oil and flavourings. Here is a link to the site I found the recipes on.
I made an orange cake for a wedding last week and everyone raved about how good it was. The texture is almost like a pound cake.I used 1 white mix, 1 golden and 1 orange and added the sour cream, eggs, oil , vanilla and butter flavour and grand marinier . It was delish.

http://www.earlenescakes.com/recipes.htm

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%