It Was So Cute....

Decorating By sweetness_221 Updated 1 Jan 2007 , 5:31pm by mkolmar

sweetness_221 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetness_221 Posted 1 Jan 2007 , 6:50am
post #1 of 11

I think I'm getting my 2 year old into the wonderful world of baking. Earlier I was itching to make something so I asked her if she wanted to help mommy make some cupcakes. She got so excited. She started jumping up and down and yelling "Yay...we going to make cupcakes!!" Then of course she had to pick out the cake mix. I was just going to make spice cake ones, but noooooo she wanted chocolate. Which is fine, but I don't like chocolate. And yes I know I'm the weirdest person in the world for not liking chocolate. Anyways we were making them and she had to help me mix them and put the cupcake papers in the pan. She said "Mommy I did a good job!" How sweet is that. I already have my 7 year old daughter hooked on baking. She even asked Santa for a childrens baking set. It's actually funny, because my 7 year old gets mad if I make anything without her. She's my egg cracker. She's the only 7 year old that I know that can crack the eggs without making a mess and getting shells in them. I love baking with them. It makes it so fun. Even if doing it with them makes twice the work and twice the mess. It's definatley worth it.

10 replies
playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 1 Jan 2007 , 6:54am
post #2 of 11

I get the same feeling when I work on the car with my son, one of those Kodak moments to remember. Glad you had a good time!

Theresa icon_smile.gif

JoanneK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoanneK Posted 1 Jan 2007 , 6:59am
post #3 of 11

Oh how cute. Baking with kids is a blast.

My great niece who is 5 got children baking sets for Christmas. One for cakes, one for cupcakes and one for cookies.

I babysat her yesterday and she brought them over so we made a cake and cupcakes. The kits came with recipe cards so we used one to make chocolate cake and buttercream icing from scratch. It was really pretty good tasting.

She was so proud and excited about what she made she could not wait for everyone to get home so we could all eat a cupcake together. The cake was for grandpa though icon_smile.gif

To be honest she made everything herself. I just got the stuff out but she measured, poured, stirred and decorated everything herself. I was shocked she could do the egg thing too.

Of course I took pictures for her scrapbook just in case she grows up to be a Colette Peters someday. icon_lol.gif

mconrey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mconrey Posted 1 Jan 2007 , 7:04am
post #4 of 11

That is so sweet! I have 2 little girls (4 and 18 months) and my 4 year old loves helping me in the kitchen. She can read the amounts of each ingredient on the recipe card and she has to crack all the eggs for me. For Christmas, I made cookies with the chocolate kisses in the middle and my 4 year old got to count out all the kisses and take the wrappers off. She was in heaven! And, surprisingly, she didn't even eat one until she counted out how many we needed - making sure there were extra for her. icon_smile.gif

When I decorate, I give her the scraps or a small 6 inch to "decorate" too. I give her her own icing and let her have at it. It keeps her out of my hair and she will sit there for hours decorating her cake.

I'm so glad there are others getting their little ones involved in the baking process. We're creating so many fond memories for our kids - and who knows, maybe one of them will be the next Colette Peters! icon_rolleyes.gif

shelbur10 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shelbur10 Posted 1 Jan 2007 , 2:24pm
post #5 of 11

That's awesome! I have learned not to tell my 7 yo daughter if I will be baking later in the day, she will just nag me all day. She LOVES to help me cook anything, but she can't wait to start learning to decorate cakes. I haven't had much time lately to help her learn, but I think we'll start this year. My 4 yo son likes to help, but loses interest pretty quickly. He just knows he needs to be in the room to when I'm done mixing BC so he can lick the beater!

Zmama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Zmama Posted 1 Jan 2007 , 4:34pm
post #6 of 11

It's SOO great that these little bakers are starting so young! Dd(4) loves to bake and decorate, and just got her first set this year. Then my dad bought her an Easy Bake for when she visits him, she loves it! Ds(icon_cool.gif loves to cook, but baking is a "girl" thing to him. It's only a "guy" thing if Daddy can do it, and Daddy has only decorated two cakes so far, so it doesn't count yet. icon_rolleyes.gif I have a feeling the boys will be doing the cakes for me this year. After all, it's science as well as art, and they both love science.

aldenqueen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aldenqueen Posted 1 Jan 2007 , 4:43pm
post #7 of 11

Both my kids love to be in the kitchen. I got my dd an easybake over and she loves it!! When she made her 1st cake she was so excited!! I have a pillar candle holder we used as a "cake stand" No one was allowed to eat her cake, It had to sit on the table for everyone to see lol.
LL

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 1 Jan 2007 , 4:47pm
post #8 of 11

Our Grandson (who is now 7) has helped me in the kitchen since he was tiny ~ his favorite things are chocolate cake and kneading bread. He can tell you how many eggs go into the cake (he cracks them also) along with all the other ingredients! You just say, "hey Ian, what do I need to make a chocolate cake?", he'll run off the list for you! thumbs_up.gif

aldenqueen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aldenqueen Posted 1 Jan 2007 , 4:49pm
post #9 of 11

Both my kids love to be in the kitchen. I got my dd an easybake over and she loves it!! When she made her 1st cake she was so excited!! I have a pillar candle holder we used as a "cake stand" No one was allowed to eat her cake, It had to sit on the table for everyone to see lol.

DesignsbyD Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DesignsbyD Posted 1 Jan 2007 , 4:51pm
post #10 of 11

I love reading about everyones children enjoying cooking. I have a daughter and 2 sons, it's my sons that love to help. My 5 year old got a gift card to Walmart and he had to buy the easy bake oven. I had a cake to bake on Sat. and he sat and baked in his Easy bake. My 11 year old son has a love of cooking and already talks about being a chef. Thanks for sharing your stories. Have a great day Happy New Year
Denise

mkolmar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mkolmar Posted 1 Jan 2007 , 5:31pm
post #11 of 11

how sweet is that! All of my kids love helping me bake (a little too much some days) but justt the thought of all of those little feet running into the kitchen to help brings a smile to my face.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%