Dropped A Bowl On My Cake, Runny Filling, Ack!

Decorating By CakeItGood Updated 17 Aug 2005 , 7:44pm by Maryanne

CakeItGood Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeItGood Posted 8 Aug 2005 , 3:40pm
post #1 of 27

So I am mixing up the MMF for my cake, when I turn around and notice that I have accidentally set my mixing bowl of filling right on top of one of the layers (layer had a dish towel over the top). I can see how this could happen in the mayhem of wildly tossing things in the kitchen while hovering over my batch of very sticky MMF. I feel a little bit like the cook from the Muppets show icon_lol.gif

The cake was flattened on one side, which I filled in with extra buttercream and still tried to use. If you look at the picture closely you can see that the cake slopes a little bit on one side. Whoopsie icon_biggrin.gif

On top of that ... I tried the recipe for Strawberry Crema filling (the one with marshmallow cream, cream cheese and strawberry comstock). I must have done something wrong, it ended up being very runny. Works well as a sauce though ... which we did later with the remnants from cake leveling.

My husband says that my triangles are goofy looking and one or two of them is somewhat lopsided. I had trouble getting the fondant to curve properly around the base of the cake ... that is tricky. This was the first time I have actually draped fondant over an entire cake.

It is also time to invest in some cake boards, LOL! I have a 9" round cake sitting on a rectangular Tupperware cake taker!

There's a second picture of this cake in my Photos. I know there are many things that I still need to work on, but I don't think it turned out *too* badly. Honest feedback is certainly welcome, I am here to learn! icon_smile.gif
LL

26 replies
ivanabacowboy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ivanabacowboy Posted 8 Aug 2005 , 3:44pm
post #2 of 27

I think your cake is very pretty!

Sugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sugar Posted 8 Aug 2005 , 3:47pm
post #3 of 27

It looks good! I noticed the slope after you pointed it out. But I am not seeing where the triangles look goofy. I think they look good.

You could try this too

Strawberry Recipe
http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-5519.html

nathalie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nathalie Posted 8 Aug 2005 , 3:47pm
post #4 of 27

So glad you said that about the Strawberry Crema filling! I have a huge opportunity coming up that I will be able to show off some of my cakes and planned on using this filling.
I am going to do a test cake today and try it.
Thank you.
Nathalie

SweetCreations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetCreations Posted 8 Aug 2005 , 4:05pm
post #5 of 27

Looks Great to me, & Wouldn't have Noticed the slope if you wouldn't have pointed it out! But I love it. Triangles look Pretty. Sorry to hear about the runny filling, that is not always easy to over come, but I bet it Tasted SOOOOOOO GOOD!
& Just think.. There is always something that we notice that isnt quite right and others dont . and there is always the Next one that will be the new & Improved! Keep Smiling, You did a Great Job.

~Sweet~ =0)

edcjenv Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
edcjenv Posted 8 Aug 2005 , 4:16pm
post #6 of 27

I love your cake....I just thought the slope was the angle of the pic before you said anything....it looks fantastic! and I think the triangles are great too!

irisinbloom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
irisinbloom Posted 8 Aug 2005 , 4:20pm
post #7 of 27

Your cake looks GREATicon_smile.gif

Joshsmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Joshsmom Posted 8 Aug 2005 , 4:25pm
post #8 of 27

I think your cake looks great! I didn't notice any sloping and your triangles look great too! Keep up the great work

MichelleG Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MichelleG Posted 8 Aug 2005 , 4:25pm
post #9 of 27

the cake looks wonderful, never noticed the slope until you mentioned it. I looks like you put a lot of effort and TLC into it. good job thumbs_up.gif

CakeItGood Posted 8 Aug 2005 , 5:37pm
post #10 of 27

Wow, thank you for all of your comments! I guess we *are* our own worse critics ... I look at this cake and see things that bug me icon_smile.gif

We will be doing one more practice cake before "the big one" .... my first tiered cake. Still looking for the perfect creamy raspberry or strawberry mousse type filling for the french vanilla layers.

Thanks again for all of your feedback, it means a lot to know I am on the right track! icon_smile.gif

awela Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
awela Posted 8 Aug 2005 , 8:03pm
post #11 of 27

I think your cake is very pretty. Don't be too hard on yourself. If you ever have a problem with "slopping sides" on a cake just propt it with small marshmeallows (just grab a bunch and QUICKLY get under the water faucet to wet them a bit). You'll get a very even (and delicious) cake.

It's funny, I tried this for decoration purposes only and now most of my customers love it so much that now they request them.

icon_wink.gif

Chefgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chefgirl Posted 8 Aug 2005 , 8:37pm
post #12 of 27

I think it looks great! Especially for a first effort draping fondant over the whole cake!

MrsMissey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrsMissey Posted 8 Aug 2005 , 10:24pm
post #13 of 27

I don't even see anything wrong with your cake. It looks terrific!

jscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jscakes Posted 9 Aug 2005 , 5:10am
post #14 of 27

Well, I think the cake looks terrific and I must be looking at it wrong as I don't notice the sloping. The triangles, or daimond shapes I noticed on the front, one is just a bit off kiltered to the right is all. All in all it's a very pretty cake!!!

LittleBigMomma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LittleBigMomma Posted 9 Aug 2005 , 5:43am
post #15 of 27

Your cake is very pretty! My Wilton instructor always told us that we are usually the only person who knows there's a flaw in the cake. She also told us that just about any "accident" can be "fixed". Keep up the lovely work.

famousamous Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
famousamous Posted 10 Aug 2005 , 3:25am
post #16 of 27

AAWWW what a pretty cake! I cant find one thing wrong with it! Great job!

jpdesserts Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jpdesserts Posted 10 Aug 2005 , 4:50pm
post #17 of 27

The cake looks great! I had to do a double take to even slightly see the slope. Good job!

mommymarilyn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommymarilyn Posted 10 Aug 2005 , 8:58pm
post #18 of 27

You're cake is beautiful! Like others here have said, we are our own worst critics! You did a wonderful job - just stand back and take a look at it as if seeing it for the first time - you'll be surprised how good it will look to you! Give yourself a big ol' pat on the back!

mary-ann Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mary-ann Posted 10 Aug 2005 , 9:08pm
post #19 of 27

I think it looks great! Will you need to refrigerate the cake with mousse filling? I thought that caused problems with the fondant.

2cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2cakes Posted 10 Aug 2005 , 9:33pm
post #20 of 27

Your cake is very pretty and wonderful job inspite of any problems you might have encountered. As for the Strawberry Cream Filling, I'm glad you said something cause I was going to use that filling for a cake I have to make this evening. I have come up with a version of my own, but not quite ready to share cause I need to make some modifications to it, but as soon as it is just where I want it to be, I'll be more than happy to share it. Some people say it taste like a strawberry milkshake and very flavorable. In fact I have to do a strawberry shortcake sometime this month and I'm hoping by the time the day rolls around that I would have my own creation with some guidance of a well known person, which I will reveal later on with their permission. Great job and continue to baking. As a matter of fact, I got to sign off and get started with my own cake for tomorrow. See ya all later. icon_smile.gif

tcrema Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tcrema Posted 10 Aug 2005 , 9:51pm
post #21 of 27

OH MY GOODNESS!!!!!!!!! I'm so sorry you had problems with the cake...It in my opinion Looks FABULOUS! Ok now I MUST appologize! The filling is my Fault. I need to make a post about it! It taste great, and works great as a filling...AS LONG AS IT IS KEPT COLD. I make a thick dam when filling my cakes (just using a bag and frosting no tips) and then I add the filling. It is a runny filling. I"m sooooooooooooo sorry that when I posted the recipe I forgot to add about adding more cream cheese and more MM cream to thicken it up! I"m so so sosossooooooooo sorry! Or another thing to do is only use half the comstock cherries and 1 block cream cheese and 1 jar mmcream! AKKK I'm such a dork for not putting that in there and you had to deal with the mess! SORRY YOU GUYS!

tcturtleshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tcturtleshell Posted 11 Aug 2005 , 9:44pm
post #22 of 27

Tammy don't worry about this, even though I know you will. A lot of things might have contributed in the filling being runny. Remember when I made it I went outside while the mixer was on & mixed it for about 15 minutes????? What a MESS that was!! All it needs is about another block of cream cheese, 1/2 jar of MMfluff & only 1/2 jar of the cornstock. It is delicious!!! I love all the ingredients!! YUMMY!! Don't worry I'm sure 4bugz isn't going to be mad at you icon_smile.gif

CakeItGood Posted 12 Aug 2005 , 1:21am
post #23 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcrema

OH MY GOODNESS!!!!!!!!! I'm so sorry you had problems with the cake..!

Oh no, it's fine! This is why I am making practice cakes, to see what works & doesn't before I make the final one. I thought the sauce was absolutely delicious. If I had the ingredients on hand, I would have tried another jar of marshmallow fluff to see if that thickened it. And now I know to try again but just using a different combination of ingredients. Don't worry about it! My kids loved the sauce on top of the cake remnants, and there is plenty leftoever perhaps to use in a frozen style pie. It's all good icon_smile.gif

Thanks again for all of your positive comments about the cake ... I am really thrilled to have discovered this forum. You all are so helpful! I decided that if we can pull this cake off for my parents at the end of the month, I will probably start making paid cakes for others. Just need to practice my techniques more and invest in more tools (cake boards, LOL!). It's amazing how all these cake tools add up when you are doing a large & detailed cake. There are no cake shops in our town, the only "bakers" are Walmart and Safeway (ugh!). Wow, there's me running off topic again. Anywhoo, I am sure there will be more questions .... and really don't worry about the filling icon_smile.gif Best,

Jennifer

jumbosgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jumbosgirl Posted 12 Aug 2005 , 1:25am
post #24 of 27

I think your cake is beautiful!!!

tcrema Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tcrema Posted 12 Aug 2005 , 8:36am
post #25 of 27

Ok, I'm glad to know that it all worked out. One thing I do know is that this filling does Freeze well. I filled a vanilla cake with this filling and then froze it and took it out. It did really well. The customer loved it and I couldn't tell the difference in the one that had been frozed vs. the fresh one

nathalie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nathalie Posted 15 Aug 2005 , 1:32pm
post #26 of 27

I just thought I would mention that I did try the Strawberry Crema filling.
The first time I actually tried it with a lemon filling(the kind in the tube) I used about 1 cup of it with the cream cheese and marshmallow fluff and it turned out great!
Yesterday I went along with the original recipe and used a large can of strawberry filling, but it did turn out runny. It went down the drain.
I tried again with the smaller can of filling(about 10oz., it didn't have the whole berries in it, it was more like preserves) and it was perfect, and both the lemon and strawberry are very delicious. I did add a bit of yellow coloring to the lemon to make it more yellow.

Maryanne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Maryanne Posted 17 Aug 2005 , 7:44pm
post #27 of 27

Nathalie, how do you think it would work with blueberries? I'd like to try a lemon cake with blueberry filling, and was thinking of trying this recipe with either a partial can of blueberry pie filling, or with blueberry preserves.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%