Sculpted Mermaid

Decorating By mamacc Updated 20 Nov 2013 , 4:13pm by twilightzonejude

mamacc Posted 31 Dec 2006 , 10:23pm
post #1 of 33

I just finished up a busy month with this sculpted mermaid cake. I was looking forward to this cake all month, LOL! It took quite a bit longer than I thought and I ended up staying up all night till 9:00 a.m. the next day when the woman came to pick it up! That was a new record for me! I have to decorate at night b/c of my three kids so I couldn't even get started on the decorating till about 8:00 p.m. The cake was already carved and ready to go and it still took me all night. It didn't help that my baby was teething and kept waking up....

Anyway, I used a carved ball pan for the head, the body is two halves of a round cake cut in half and carved. Then I cut the tail from a sheet cake and stacked it. The arms and fin are fondant. I covered the entire tail with cut out fondant circles that I painted with luster dust after I laid them all on. I'm not sure that my proportions are quite right, but I really didn't have time to mess with it too much so I just had to go with it. I used an extruded rope to form the "water" and then flooded it with leftover cookie icing.(toba's) I just felt it needed that finishing touch and somehow I thought of that at 7 a.m the next day(ha ha), although I wish the color was a tiny bit lighter. Oh well, there's always something you want to change after doing a cake! icon_biggrin.gif

Courtney
LL

32 replies
tiggy2 Posted 31 Dec 2006 , 10:30pm
post #2 of 33

You did a fantastic job! I love the colors and all the details.

Lejla Posted 31 Dec 2006 , 10:31pm
post #3 of 33

Wow,I think you did amazing job.You are being too hard on yourself.I'd be extremely happy with myself if I could do as half of a good job as you did on this cake.I love everything about her.GREAT JOB.

NewbeeBaker Posted 31 Dec 2006 , 10:36pm
post #4 of 33

Ohhh WOW!! She is so pretty=) I love the colors of the tail, but even her face and hair look perfect! WTG!! Jen

ShirleyW Posted 1 Jan 2007 , 12:01am
post #5 of 33

Very cute and so well done.

spottydog Posted 1 Jan 2007 , 12:05am
post #6 of 33

Perfectly done! She looks great. Nice work!

sweet_as_tisse Posted 1 Jan 2007 , 12:09am
post #7 of 33

WOW...she is gorgeous

you did a super job. what was the customers reaction? i bet she nearly passed out..lol

kylie

JaneK Posted 1 Jan 2007 , 12:18am
post #8 of 33

she is just beautiful!!!...I love the sparkley scales and the water looks wonderful.
I want to know what the customer thought too...I just bet they were thrilled to ribbons!!!

Fantastic and Happy New Year!!!

Jane

katharry Posted 1 Jan 2007 , 12:18am
post #9 of 33

I am completely blown away by this cake! How fabulous!! It never creases to amaze me the talented people on this site! Love everything about this! thumbs_up.gif

bonnscakesAZ Posted 1 Jan 2007 , 12:52am
post #10 of 33

That is just amazing! I love it!

mamacc Posted 1 Jan 2007 , 2:29am
post #11 of 33

Thank you everyone!!

Quote:
Quote:

Wow,I think you did amazing job.You are being too hard on yourself.I'd be extremely happy with myself if I could do as half of a good job as you did on this cake.I love everything about her.GREAT JOB.

You are right. I was really happy with how this cake came out. I love doing pretty girly cakes!! I am just a perfectionist and after spending the whole night with a cake you know every little flaw, LOL.

Quote:
Quote:

you did a super job. what was the customers reaction? i bet she nearly passed out..lol

kylie

She was very happy and surprised! I had kind of described to her what I was planning to do, but not in too much detail. She has seen some of my other sculpted cakes so it wasn't a complete surprise to her. icon_smile.gif I'm going to give her a call this week and see how the party went. I love to hear about the birthday kid's reaction to their cake!

Courtney

RisqueBusiness Posted 1 Jan 2007 , 2:39am
post #12 of 33

Saw your cake in the gallery and I posted a comment, very nice!

Sara040304 Posted 1 Jan 2007 , 2:39am
post #13 of 33

Wow, my little girl is an Ariel fan and she would loooooove this cake. You did a great job.

Derby Posted 1 Jan 2007 , 3:43am
post #14 of 33

very impressive cake!

Alison01 Posted 1 Jan 2007 , 3:59am
post #15 of 33

Wow...this is BEAUTIFUL!!! I had to do a mermaid cake about a month ago and wanted to try something with fondant, BUT the customer specifically said NO FONDNT! So, I used buttercream only. I bet this was a fun cake to do!!!!

Alison01 Posted 1 Jan 2007 , 4:04am
post #16 of 33

Just looked in your gallery! ALL your cakes are beautiful! You are VERY talented!!

Sugar_Plum_Fairy Posted 1 Jan 2007 , 4:24am
post #17 of 33

Wow! That is simply one of the best mermaid cakes I've seen yet! You did a fantastic job and ought to be very, very pleased! Let us know what your customer and recipient thought. I'm sure they were extremely pleased with this cake.

boonenati Posted 1 Jan 2007 , 4:48am
post #18 of 33

WOW, what a great cake. I just had a look at your gallery and I can't believe that i've missed seeing your cakes till now. You're soooo good!!
I LOVE your baby cakes, they're adorable!!!

Nati

Gefion Posted 1 Jan 2007 , 2:53pm
post #19 of 33

Ooh awesomness on display! What a talent you have. It is stunning.

lauramw71 Posted 1 Jan 2007 , 4:15pm
post #20 of 33

WOW!!! I just dont know what else to say other than WOW WOW WOW!!!! that is absolutely AMAZING!!!!!

2sdae Posted 1 Jan 2007 , 5:47pm
post #21 of 33

That is really impressive and your colors are perfect. thumbs_up.gif

msauer Posted 1 Jan 2007 , 5:54pm
post #22 of 33

Awesome cake!!!!

I wish you would have posted this three weeks ago for me to see before I made my poor attempt at a 3D mermaid. I never thought to have her lay down icon_cry.gificon_cry.gificon_cry.gif !! Looks like you spent a lot of time on the scales as well! I love the colors.

Great cake!!

amandasweetcakes Posted 1 Jan 2007 , 10:16pm
post #23 of 33

Very Cute! Love her! thumbs_up.gif

subaru Posted 1 Jan 2007 , 10:25pm
post #24 of 33

WOW!!!!! What a great cake!

SILVERCAT Posted 2 Jan 2007 , 1:50am
post #25 of 33

AWESOME!! I myself can't see any flaws but I know what you mean, when you say you see the flaws! EXCELLENT JOB!

MissRobin Posted 2 Jan 2007 , 3:06pm
post #26 of 33

Beautiful Cake!!!!!!!!! thumbs_up.gif How did you paint the cake circles after putting them on without going on to the next one? I don't know if that makes sense or not. You did a beautiful job!

mamacc Posted 2 Jan 2007 , 3:18pm
post #27 of 33

I just talked to the woman who ordered the cake and she said the birthday girl was thrilled! Everyone was like "who made the cake???". Of course I forgot to give her any business cards! The little girl already knows what she wants for next year and her brother now wants a spiderman cake, LOL. You can't just get one kid a sculpted cake!! icon_biggrin.gif

Quote:
Quote:

I wish you would have posted this three weeks ago for me to see before I made my poor attempt at a 3D mermaid. I never thought to have her lay down !! Looks like you spent a lot of time on the scales as well! I love the colors.

LOL, I remember your post about your mermaid cake. I was the one who gave you the link to Janet's site. Her cakes are amazing!!!! I would love to hear about how she recommended doing the structure. I thought about having her sit up but...but I already had a clear picture in my head of her laying down "swimming", and then I didn't have to worry about the cake falling apart on the bumpy highway. icon_smile.gif

Courtney

mamacc Posted 2 Jan 2007 , 3:24pm
post #28 of 33
Quote:
Quote:

Beautiful Cake!!!!!!!!! How did you paint the cake circles after putting them on without going on to the next one? I don't know if that makes sense or not. You did a beautiful job!

The fondant was already colored before I put them on. I painted the luster dust on after I had all the colored scales on the cake. icon_smile.gif

Courtney

justsweet Posted 2 Jan 2007 , 3:38pm
post #29 of 33

You did an awesome job.

JanH Posted 5 Jan 2007 , 6:26am
post #30 of 33

Wow, how gorgeous is that icon_smile.gif

Especially love the colors and detail on the scales and tail!

Just a fantastic creation.

You Rule!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%