Wanting To Start A Cake/cookie Business In Alabama

Business By SugarBakerz Updated 3 Jan 2007 , 6:54pm by 4dollars

SugarBakerz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarBakerz Posted 31 Dec 2006 , 10:13pm
post #1 of 6

Are there any cc'ers out there from AL? If so have you gone through the process of legality in AL, and what did it take? I have searched and can't find the information I am looking for, any help would be greatly appreciated! TIA! HAPPY 2007

5 replies
JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wespam Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wespam Posted 1 Jan 2007 , 12:19pm
post #3 of 6

Hey I'm from the Hartselle area near Decatur. I just make cakes for friends and by word of mouth but I hear the requirements for being legal are pretty stiff for baking in your home. Pam from Bama

Inlovewithcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Inlovewithcakes Posted 3 Jan 2007 , 1:27am
post #4 of 6

I would love to know this also! I am from the same area as SouthernSuziesSweets.

I hope someone out there can help us!

SugarBakerz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarBakerz Posted 3 Jan 2007 , 6:42pm
post #5 of 6

well the secretary of state was no help, said I need to speak with probate... so that will be my next step I suppose.

amy, where are you from here in AL?

4dollars Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
4dollars Posted 3 Jan 2007 , 6:54pm
post #6 of 6

You need to talk to your local county Health department. (I think the website for the State Health dept is aldph.org ) It is my understanding that even baking out of your home, the kitchen has to be separate from your home kitchen, and it has to have a 3 compartment sink, mop sink, etc, just like an actual restaurant. At least that's what my health department peeps told me. I thought about doing this as a part time job and only wanted to do it if I could be legal, but I don't have that kind of $ to set it up. So, I just bake for my family now. Let us know if you find out anything else, I looked for work-arounds, but didn't find much. (using a licensed kitchen of someone else's is the only thing I found)

Good luck! thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%