Need Help With Reverse Shell!

Decorating By patton78 Updated 9 Jan 2007 , 1:15pm by sweetbaker

patton78 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
patton78 Posted 31 Dec 2006 , 7:51pm
post #1 of 26

Does anyone have any special techniques on how to do the reverse shell? I have practiced several times with a practice board but just cannot seem to figure it out! I would really like to use this border on a cupcake cake I am making this week. TIA!

25 replies
Sugar_Plum_Fairy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sugar_Plum_Fairy Posted 31 Dec 2006 , 8:05pm
post #2 of 26

I don't know if this will help or not, but I did a search on Google and came up with this (I've yet to try this particular border). http://www.bakedecoratecelebrate.com/techniques/reverseshell.cfm

JaneK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JaneK Posted 31 Dec 2006 , 8:16pm
post #3 of 26

The only way I could learn this was to practice on cake pan turned upside down...it is different when you are going in a circle compared to practicing on a practice board..just do 9's and p's all the way round..that was what helped me..honestly I found this the most difficult one to do..I managed to do a cake or two with this border after practicing on the cake pan.

Hope that helps!
Jane

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 31 Dec 2006 , 8:20pm
post #4 of 26

I taught a friend of mine on another forum an easy way to look at the reverse shell technique. You have to look at the pattern as though you were drawing a valentine, but you start the second side of the valentine off the bottom of the first side. Does that make sense to you?

I am attaching a download of a pattern I just drew up on MSPaint. Please let me know if this helps you.

Theresa icon_smile.gif
LL

patton78 Posted 31 Dec 2006 , 8:31pm
post #5 of 26

Wow, thanks for all the tips so quickly. I never thought of the design as half a valentine but after looking at your example, I think I may try it that way. Thanks! Hopefully I can finally figure this one out.

Derby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Derby Posted 1 Jan 2007 , 5:10am
post #6 of 26

I've actually practiced this with a pen and paper just to get my brain used to the motion and rythm

cassandrascakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cassandrascakes Posted 1 Jan 2007 , 5:15am
post #7 of 26

I just had to giggle, because even though I can do reverse shells, I often have to stop and look at the last one to figure out how to do the next. It takes some real hand-brain-eye coordination!

nicoles-a-tryin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nicoles-a-tryin Posted 1 Jan 2007 , 8:38pm
post #8 of 26

Oh I am so glad you posted this question!!
I cannot do this techinque either. Doesn't matter how often I try.
And I am so jealous when people do it on cakes, I just love it!!

So, Thank you so much for the wonderful and helpful hints!!!!

MicheleH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MicheleH Posted 1 Jan 2007 , 8:44pm
post #9 of 26

I do this border alot, and it really helps me if I say to myself (or out loud) left, right, left, right. I also teach Wilton classes and tell my students the same thing. I also try to picture it like a question mark ?? Just be sure you draw to a point and not start the next one too close.

springlakecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
springlakecake Posted 1 Jan 2007 , 8:49pm
post #10 of 26

I have trouble with this border as well, I am always going the wrong way! I try to think of it as a heart also, but I still screw up! Anyway, what is the best tip to use? I think I have just used a 21, but it seems like the ones I see that look really nice to me are perhaps a little bigger.

kakedecorator Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakedecorator Posted 1 Jan 2007 , 9:09pm
post #11 of 26

I teach it this way. Start just like make the regular shell border holding your bag at six o'clock position with a 45 degree angle, let it "fan" out a bit, then move your tip to 12 o'clock, around to 3 and down to 6 as you slowly release pressure, then pull away. For the other direction it is 12 to 9 to 6. I, too have to say out loud, "right, left, right, left" so I keep on the "reverse shell" mode. Hope this is helpfull.

subaru Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
subaru Posted 1 Jan 2007 , 9:19pm
post #12 of 26

That is sortta the way I do it, but I think of it as a question mark (without the dot). I make the curve in, then say to myself,out,in, out, in, etc.
that is how I have been doing it for years, before we had this site and all the other good ideas.

patton78 Posted 1 Jan 2007 , 9:23pm
post #13 of 26

I have tried the question mark technique as well as the p's and 9's but still cannot get the hang of it. I guess I am always forgetting which way to go! I am going to try the half valentine technique next to see if that will work for me.
Thanks for all your great ideas!

nicoles-a-tryin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nicoles-a-tryin Posted 1 Jan 2007 , 10:08pm
post #14 of 26

I forgot to mention this...But whenever I do it....I find the first 2 maybe look ok....Then I go around the cake and notice they are now circles. Like you would put on the 3D lamb....NOT sure how I end up with them, but have to scrape off....And I still end up getting the circles!! YIKES!

imnamor95 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imnamor95 Posted 2 Jan 2007 , 1:06am
post #15 of 26

icon_smile.gif I'm so glad that I found this site! Thk you for ur input on this topic. I have to start practicing this technique for my valentines day project. I am gonna try and practice this week.

mjs4492 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mjs4492 Posted 2 Jan 2007 , 1:13am
post #16 of 26

I found that I have better luck with this pattern if I use a tip 16 or 17 (shell cake in my photos). Every time I want to use the 21 tip, they start looking squirrely icon_confused.gif
I also have to stop and make sure I'm getting ready to go the right way icon_redface.gif

mkerton Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mkerton Posted 2 Jan 2007 , 1:17am
post #17 of 26

I love this border, I use it probably too much because i find its the easiest for me to do (the regular shell border to me is harder because its hard for me to stay uniform in size and its less noticable with the reverse).....I also think about question marks.....good luck to everyone!

jscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jscakes Posted 2 Jan 2007 , 1:28am
post #18 of 26

Another way may be to do a cursive "L" ...how can I explain this correctly...?
Without making the entire thing in one motion, of course you'll have to stop to and start with each loop. Does that make sense?

christeena Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
christeena Posted 2 Jan 2007 , 1:33am
post #19 of 26

I have leftover icing in a piping bag with a #16 ready to go for practicing the "frustrating" reverse shell. I can't seen to get this border for nothing! I can usually master anything I put my mind to but this border eludes me and quite frankly I'm about ready to forget about it, except.... I just love how it looks when it's done right! I too, am so jealous of those of you that make these so beautifully!

adrisss Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adrisss Posted 2 Jan 2007 , 2:29am
post #20 of 26

Great advice from everybody, thanks, is so incredible that the internet gives us this opportunity to learn, and to teach from others. I am glad I found this website.

happy new year !!!

nglez09 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nglez09 Posted 2 Jan 2007 , 2:36am
post #21 of 26

Also, remember to keep the tails alligned; if you don't it "won't have the elegant look it should".

cgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cgirl Posted 2 Jan 2007 , 11:42am
post #22 of 26

The only way I've been able to do it is to do it in the opposite direction. If you decorate with a shell pattern left to right, then flip it and decorate in right to left fashion. It's the only way I could train my hands to do it. icon_wink.gif

Parable Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Parable Posted 2 Jan 2007 , 6:36pm
post #23 of 26

I am sure glad I'm not the only one that feels so inept! I just thought I had a brain freeze. I guess practice, practice, practice, is the answer.

Zmama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Zmama Posted 9 Jan 2007 , 6:20am
post #24 of 26

Next new thing to practice - thanks! Perfect for right after practicing regular shell border icon_smile.gif

CarolAnn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CarolAnn Posted 9 Jan 2007 , 6:45am
post #25 of 26

I can't seem to get the hang of the reverse shell either. I thought I had it down pretty good and then froze when it was time to use it on a cupcake cake. I finally just did a squiggly border on it and was very happy with the look. Worked well on a ccc but I'd still like to get it down to use on more formal cakes. There are ones here who do a fantastic job with the reverse shell. Grrrr..... LOL

sweetbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetbaker Posted 9 Jan 2007 , 1:15pm
post #26 of 26

Yes, as Nglez09 mentioned, the tails need to be in alignment. There is a cake decorating video I borrowed from my local library and the teacher says: start off with tip above surface, squeeze like you're going to make a star and then curve it. Think of it as writing a question mark, then letter c, question mark, c, and so on. One curve would be on top of the cake and the tail should be squeezed on the top edge of cake then the next curve would be squeezed just below the top edge of the cake then the tail on the top edge of the cake. In the end, all tails should be along the top edge of the cake. Hope this additional info helps.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%