Cake Flavor And Filling??

Decorating By abbey Updated 10 Aug 2005 , 2:15pm by jjandascog

abbey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
abbey Posted 8 Aug 2005 , 2:24pm
post #1 of 17

O.K. I am in the mood to experiment in my baking so who will share your favorite cake flavor and filling combination? Oh and if you use an icing other than BC share that too. I haven't tried to many different fillings yet so I am really interested to here which ones you've tried and like.

Thanks for sharing!!

16 replies
Misdawn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Misdawn Posted 8 Aug 2005 , 2:51pm
post #2 of 17

The filling that all my family and friends like the best is:
one 8 oz container caramel ice cream topping
1 to 2 cups powdered sugar (depending on taste and thickness)
1 8oz. package cream cheese

Mix and refrgierate for at least one hour before applying to cake. Must remain refrigerated.

Even my boss loved this filling and she doesn't eat ANY sweets.

eve Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
eve Posted 8 Aug 2005 , 2:55pm
post #3 of 17

icon_biggrin.gif Hi I like using Orange Flavored Truffle (Set Ganache) for filling... Also recently I have been making Marshmallow Fondant adding a hint of MInt Flavor..I kind of like it.. Mint Flavored MArshmallo FOndant goes well with Dark CHocolate cake..

mommykicksbutt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommykicksbutt Posted 8 Aug 2005 , 3:19pm
post #4 of 17

Misdawn, OMG!! that sounds absolutely decadent!!!! I must try that one!!!!!!

Gingoodies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Gingoodies Posted 8 Aug 2005 , 4:01pm
post #5 of 17

This is a very good.. although rich.. White chocolate buttercream. It is good for frosting a cake and piping borders.. but is a little soft for flowers.

6 ounces white chocolate
1/4 cup heavy cream
1 cup cold butter cut into pieces
1 cup confectioners sugar (I have used up to 1/2 cup more to give a stiffer consistency)

Put white chocolate and heavy cream in a small saucepan and heat until chocolate is melted stirring until smooth. Transfer this to a large mixing bowl and cool to room temp. Beat in butter a few cubes at a time (I use my KA with the paddle) until butter is incorporated. Add confectioners sugar and beat until light and fluffy. (This may be made up to 2 days ahead and refrigerated, beat until light and fluffy before using.)

I usually double this recipe.

Sugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sugar Posted 8 Aug 2005 , 4:03pm
post #6 of 17

Thank you Gingoodies! This looks delicious!

Ironbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ironbaker Posted 8 Aug 2005 , 4:18pm
post #7 of 17

I like Ladycakes' site and love her compilation of fillings. So many I want to try: http://ladycakes.com/Recipes/Fillings/fillings.htm

I love my lemon curd with lemon cake. I also like the strawberry one I found on this site.

I'm just starting to play around with fillings also, the options are endless.

abbey Posted 8 Aug 2005 , 4:28pm
post #8 of 17

misdawn what type of cake do you fill with your carmel filling? It sounds yummy!!

Thanks for the link to ladycakes I never knew how many possibilities there were for fillings.

jjandascog Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jjandascog Posted 8 Aug 2005 , 5:22pm
post #9 of 17

Gingoodies,

About how much does one recipe of your white chocolate buttercream make?

Misdawn Posted 8 Aug 2005 , 6:32pm
post #10 of 17

When I make the caramel filling I usually use it in a butter pecan or German Chocolate cake.

abbey Posted 9 Aug 2005 , 7:28pm
post #11 of 17

Misdawn I just finished a german choc. cake with your carmel filling. Oh is it good. I think I have a new favorite filling. It is really easy to make and it is so yummy!!! Thanks so much for the recipe.
I do have one question though do you refridgerate your cakes filled with this since it has cream cheese in it?

Thanks again for sharing!

Misdawn Posted 9 Aug 2005 , 7:30pm
post #12 of 17

If I use anything in the filling that has dairy (like cream cheese) then, yes, I definitely refrigerate and don't leave them out more than thirty minutes at a time. I'm glad you like the filling! It's awesome, isn't it?!

Sugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sugar Posted 9 Aug 2005 , 7:32pm
post #13 of 17

I think anything with dairy has to be kept in the fridge unless it's just a few tablespoons. The only exception I know to this is ganache. That's safe for a day or two.

However on a hot day I either keep the air on or refridgerate. I made class buttercream with dairy on a hot day and the next day it smelled funky.

abbey Posted 9 Aug 2005 , 7:33pm
post #14 of 17

Thanks for the quick response. I figured it needed to go in the fridge. Just thought I'd make sure.

Gingoodies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Gingoodies Posted 9 Aug 2005 , 10:18pm
post #15 of 17

jj.. It makes about 3 cups of frosting (as written)

dinkadoo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dinkadoo Posted 10 Aug 2005 , 12:55am
post #16 of 17

My most popular cake/filling flavor is a white sour cream cake with a white chocolate mousse and raspberry filling....YUM!!

jjandascog Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jjandascog Posted 10 Aug 2005 , 2:15pm
post #17 of 17

gin,
Thanks! Do you think it would taste good on a strawberry cake?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%