Worst Chirstmas Gift....

Decorating By cgirl Updated 4 Jan 2007 , 9:38pm by cgirl

LisaMS Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LisaMS Posted 4 Jan 2007 , 2:15pm
post #121 of 127

My dh bought me an orange tool box with no tools in it one year. LOL And he seriously thought he'd done a great job coming up with that. We didn't exchange gifts this year; just bought for the kids. In his defense, he has become a fantastic gift giver with a little coaching from me.

KittisKakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KittisKakes Posted 4 Jan 2007 , 2:30pm
post #122 of 127

I thought I'd add one here....
We celebrate Christmas with my MIL on New Year's Day. That Christmas, I had received a nice knife block set from my step-mom. I didn't need it, but it was appreciated, so I opened it up and used it. When we went to my MIL's, she also got a knife block set for me. I'm not sure why they both got me the same thing... but anyway, the one my MIL got was a really nice J.A. Henckels set, but I had already opened and used and thrown away the box from the one my step-mom got. So MIL said she would return the set and get a set of chef knives for me. What she actually did was keep the knife set for herself and did not get anything else to replace it for me. So, I had a present, but then it was taken away!!

kdbrumbach Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kdbrumbach Posted 4 Jan 2007 , 3:14pm
post #123 of 127

Wow! I love hearing about all these crazy gifts. I've gotten a few myself:

First Christmas I knew the guy who would become my husband, he got me a bunch of really nice things, chessboard, books, clothes, etc. in one of the boxes however was a Hickory Farms Beef stick and party havarti (if it wasn't for the cheese I'd say he was trying to send me a message) I looked quizzically at it and he told me his best friend recommended it. Thought I might be having a party at college or something.

Fast forward to our 5th anniversary (traditional gift: wood) and I wanted to know if he might like this pretty olive wood cheeseboard, so I call his best friend, and he says sure, but you'd have to get him some kind of cheese to go with it. My husband was probably just as confused as I once was as he's unwrapping these blocks of cheese, but we all joke that his best friend is actually a secret marketing operative for the dairy council.

The worst gift I recieved however was for my wedding. My brother, who was only maybe 19 at the time took me aside the day before my wedding (high stress time anyway) and said that he had gotten something for me when he was in port during his submarine "cruise" I opened the wrapping paper and there was a little US Navy baby bottle, bib, and rattle set with a little sailor bear on them. My jaw dropped in utter shock and I think i said something like "Are you KIDDING ME?!?"I was not pregnant and had no plans to be (married over 5 years and we're still not quite ready!) I know he meant well, he's just very traditional and assumed that if I were getting married I'd have children shortly after. I was so rude, I felt really bad and eventually apologized. My dad, who is a legendary good gift giver came in and smoothed things over, and gave my brother some tips for the future. He's gotten better. This year he got me a cake decorating book, and he has learned to call and ask for hints for what to get my husband, mom, sister-in-law. icon_razz.gif

mbelgard Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbelgard Posted 4 Jan 2007 , 5:12pm
post #124 of 127

My kids got something I'm a little pissed about and would fall under this catagory. My in-laws found some fly guns, they shoot a projectile that's on a string that's supposed to kill flys. icon_confused.gif
First off they aren't allowed to use them in the house, they have quite a impact and bounce around on the string after they have hit the surface. I don't want broken stuff.
Second it's the middle of winter in North Dakota so there are no flies even in the house.
Third we have air conditioning so the doors and windows aren't open often so we don't get many flies even in the middle of summer so they won't be much good anyway.
And last but not least my kids are 4&8, they are going to end up shooting each other with them instead of flies and that leads to it's own problems.

My MIL is mad at me because I took them away from the children. icon_confused.gif

tiptop57 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiptop57 Posted 4 Jan 2007 , 5:21pm
post #125 of 127

mbelgard - your kids, your rules.

On the other hand what a hilarious item. All I can picture is Daniel LaRusso and Mr. Miyagi sitting at a table shooting flies instead of catching them with chop sticks.......Now, on the other hand again, how about Jeff Foxworthy saying, "You know your a redneck when 'er inlaws give your youngins pistol fly shooters for Christmas." icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif But then again maybe Bill Engvall might say to your inlaws, "Here's your sign....."

OMG, I could keep going and going just like the little energizer bunny........ icon_biggrin.gif

Zmama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Zmama Posted 4 Jan 2007 , 5:23pm
post #126 of 127

Send them to my house - our kids would use them on each other as well, but they'd love it icon_lol.gif

cgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cgirl Posted 4 Jan 2007 , 9:38pm
post #127 of 127

When I started this post, I did start it just to see what outragious things people got for Christmas. There is always some crazy in law who gives something nuts. To read all these sad stories too...It takes a different twist. I'm still glad it's here just so we can appreciate the good things families do, sympathize with the people who's families are less than chrming, and to just give a shoulder for someone to cry on and give them the support they might get anywhere else. I've said it many times, I LOVE this sight. It gives us a chance to be there for each other in a way we normally wouldn't be able to. We are like a big extended family. For those of you who have had such unfortunate situations my heart goes out to you. Here is a BIG HUG for all of you. The funny stories you guys are telling are great. I'm glad I'm not the only one with strange family. LOL Hope everyone has a great and wonderful new year. God Bless. icon_smile.gif

Heather

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%