Showing You My Cocoa Painting On A Cookie

Baking By JaneK Updated 6 Jan 2007 , 5:41pm by JoanneK

JaneK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JaneK Posted 31 Dec 2006 , 2:45am
post #1 of 26

I am pretty excited because I just finished my first cocoa painting on a cookie. It is about 4" in diameter.
RisqueBusiness gave me encouragement with this and instructed me how to do this and recommended a book etc...and this is the result..my painting is a bit amateurish but I wanted to show a new way of decorating a cookie..what do ya think? Oh..and the "Canvas" is Antonia74's icing which worked out beautifully once it hardened.

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo-93399.html

It is my personalized Happy New Year cookie for my DH and I have 9 more to decorate icon_eek.gif

Jane

25 replies
aboelkens Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aboelkens Posted 31 Dec 2006 , 2:51am
post #2 of 26

Wow! It is beautiful, how long does something like that take?? You are very talented.

rosita6882 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rosita6882 Posted 31 Dec 2006 , 2:51am
post #3 of 26

I love it. I've never seen these before. Great job. It looks great.

JaneK Posted 31 Dec 2006 , 2:59am
post #4 of 26
Quote:
Quote:

how long does something like that take??

The longest part of it was waiting for the RI to dry.. icon_lol.gif

It is done with cocoa butter which I bought from my local bakery supply place (Artistic Cake Design) in Ottawa and cocoa from the grocery store

You melt the cocoa butter in those little paint dishes and add cocoa in greater and smaller amounts to the pots to make "paint"...keep the whole thing on a heating pad so the cocoa paint won't start to set..you want to keep it liquid

Then get a FINE paintbrush..and paint away!! I got several paint brushes ..all fine because the cookie is relatively small.

HTH
Jane

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 31 Dec 2006 , 8:47am
post #5 of 26

Your husband is a lucky man!

That cookie is utterly charming icon_smile.gif

First thought that came to my mind was; this is a lovely old world, European (German) decorated Christmas cookie!

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 31 Dec 2006 , 8:56am
post #6 of 26

I have never seen cocoa painting used on a cookie before. It is totally cool. Thanks for sharing!

Theresa icon_smile.gif

cgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cgirl Posted 31 Dec 2006 , 9:28am
post #7 of 26

That totally rocks!! I'm going to have to try that. You did a great job.

MrsMissey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrsMissey Posted 31 Dec 2006 , 4:04pm
post #8 of 26

..that is gorgeous! I don't think I could let anybody eat that becaue it looks too good! icon_smile.gif Great job!

Sugar_Plum_Fairy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sugar_Plum_Fairy Posted 31 Dec 2006 , 4:24pm
post #9 of 26

I wrote my comment underneath the photo. You're work is absolutely beautiful!! You should be proud of yourself as you did an excellent job. Instead of looking at it as being amateurish, I believe it's very professional looking work!

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 31 Dec 2006 , 4:33pm
post #10 of 26

I just have to ask -- how does one do cocoa painting??? I've always wanted to know...

JaneK Posted 31 Dec 2006 , 4:44pm
post #11 of 26

Bobwonderbuns...here is the basic instruction..

It is done with cocoa butter which I bought from my local bakery supply place (Artistic Cake Design) in Ottawa and cocoa from the grocery store

You melt the cocoa butter in those little paint dishes and add cocoa in greater and smaller amounts to the pots to make "paint"...keep the whole thing on a heating pad so the cocoa paint won't start to set..you want to keep it liquid

Then get a FINE paintbrush..and paint away!! I got several paint brushes ..all fine because the cookie is relatively small.

You can draw a design on to some parchment and then use the pinprick method for transferring the basic outline..you have to be very careful with the icing because you can crack it like ice (I did that on my first one) and then it looks horrid..just be very gentle. I found a pic I liked and then just tried to copy it by drawing it out first on the parchment.

Jane

mysonshines Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mysonshines Posted 31 Dec 2006 , 4:56pm
post #12 of 26

It's beautiful, Jane. It's on my long list of sugarcraft things I'd love to learn icon_biggrin.gif Great job

RisqueBusiness Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RisqueBusiness Posted 31 Dec 2006 , 5:12pm
post #13 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaneK

I am pretty excited because I just finished my first cocoa painting on a cookie. It is about 4" in diameter.
RisqueBusiness gave me encouragement with this and instructed me how to do this and recommended a book etc...and this is the result..my painting is a bit amateurish but I wanted to show a new way of decorating a cookie..what do ya think? Oh..and the "Canvas" is Antonia74's icing which worked out beautifully once it hardened.

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo-93399.html

It is my personalized Happy New Year cookie for my DH and I have 9 more to decorate icon_eek.gif

Jane

See? You did good lady!! ya did good!!

I hope that you get many more orders for these!! and remember to charge accordingly since they are hand crafted.

you can if you like do your royal icing circles ahead of time...make circles on parchment paper with a pencil, turn the paper over...outline with your ri and puddle away..when they are dry you store them gently..

then remove them from storage and paint away...then you can attach to your cookie or whatever with a little fresh ri!

cuts some of the work a little!

Alison01 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Alison01 Posted 1 Jan 2007 , 3:54am
post #14 of 26

Great job! I love that!!! Now I want to try!!!

m0use Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
m0use Posted 1 Jan 2007 , 5:23am
post #15 of 26

Those are beautiful! Wonderful job, make sure to charge accordingly.

cupcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcake Posted 1 Jan 2007 , 10:20am
post #16 of 26

Very unique, had not seen this type of painting on cookies. Does give the appearance of Old World. Very nice job.

tyty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tyty Posted 1 Jan 2007 , 12:21pm
post #17 of 26

Now that is something very different, I really like the look. I'd like to see more.

cakerator Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakerator Posted 1 Jan 2007 , 7:02pm
post #18 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaneK

RisqueBusiness gave me encouragement with this and instructed me how to do this and recommended a book etc..

this is such a beautiful technique! you did such a great job with it!!
can i ask, what book was recommended? i would love to read up on this and possibly 'attempt' it someday.

TIA icon_smile.gif

JaneK Posted 1 Jan 2007 , 7:49pm
post #19 of 26

cakerator wrote:

Quote:
Quote:

can i ask, what book was recommended

RB recommended Cocoa and Chocolate Painting - A Confectionary Art by Marsha Winbeckler (bought it right here on CC..not expensive at all)

It is great..easy to follow and has some good ideas in it!!

I have just finished some more which I will post in a sec...
If anyone has any experience with colouring rubber stamp cards, you could do this easily!!!

I took a cookie and wasted it by drawing in pencil what I wanted my design to look like and then I just copied it on to the other cookies..I find it easier if I have something to go by.

Good Luck and post pics if you do some..btw..they taste great with the sweet icing and that little bit of choc...
I want to try on a cake sometime too...

Jane

CarolinaBelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CarolinaBelle Posted 3 Jan 2007 , 8:10am
post #20 of 26

That turned out beautiful. Great job.

tracy702 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tracy702 Posted 4 Jan 2007 , 8:06am
post #21 of 26

That is so awesome. I can't wait to try this. I am going to order the book, it looks like a lot of fun.
thanks for sharing!!!

ValMommytoDanny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ValMommytoDanny Posted 4 Jan 2007 , 9:10am
post #22 of 26

Lovely, they are quite wonderful and beautiful. A true specialty item, I can imagine the possibilities. Great job!

CupCake13 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CupCake13 Posted 5 Jan 2007 , 2:39pm
post #23 of 26

Gorgeous. And speaking as an artist myself, your painting is NOT amateurish. You did a lovely job!

I just might have to try this - a twist on my usual media of choice - watercolor!

vickymacd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vickymacd Posted 6 Jan 2007 , 5:15pm
post #24 of 26

Going to ask a really stupid question....
Could you use Crisco solid instead of cocoa butter? I'm assuming it's used just for thinning down. Or is there a real reason behind the butter such as taste? I might never do this, but you both did such beautiful cookies, I'd just like to know. You are both so talented with this!

JaneK Posted 6 Jan 2007 , 5:22pm
post #25 of 26

I don't know if you can use Crisco in place of the cocoa butter...PM RisqueBusiness as she taught me how to do this..I am sure she would know... I don't remember reading about that in the book I got either..

JoanneK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoanneK Posted 6 Jan 2007 , 5:41pm
post #26 of 26

Oh those are wonderful! I really love the dog one you did. Perfect! Just perfect.

I wish I could do these but I just don't think they would look as good with stick people on them icon_lol.gif That's about all I can draw.

I'm JEALOUS of your talent. icon_redface.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%