New To Cake Central

Decorating By SheilaF Updated 8 Aug 2005 , 8:50pm by KATE39

SheilaF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SheilaF Posted 8 Aug 2005 , 1:37am
post #1 of 22

Hello everyone. I am new to cake central and not quite sure about how to navigate around it yet. I've heard reference to this site many times on the wilton boards (and have posted some photos and asked for advice from there). I have been on this type of forum before, so I kind of know how it works, but am a bit overwhelmed by it all. I hope to get more involved in this forum as I have become totally addicted to cake decorating over the last 2 years and could kick myself for not starting earlier (cake decorating).

I have four children, so I get plenty of practice with birthday cakes now too. I'm not sure if I save any money not buying the store bought variety anymore as I need a storage facility for the supplies I've accumulated, but I sure do make a better cake than I could ever buy in the stores. Anyway, since I see it's encouraged to be an active poster, I'm trying to open up a door for me to do so. Thanks!

21 replies
tcturtleshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tcturtleshell Posted 8 Aug 2005 , 1:40am
post #2 of 22

Welcome Shelia!! If you ever need any help don't hesitate to ask~ WELCOME!

butrcup Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
butrcup Posted 8 Aug 2005 , 1:42am
post #3 of 22

Greetings SheilaF-I'm new to cake decorating and this site has helped and inspired me beyond belief-I don't think there is a question you could come up with that someone here can't answer....welcome!

SheilaF Posted 8 Aug 2005 , 1:42am
post #4 of 22

Thanks. I have a hard time posting photos of my cakes on my mom's board anymore b/c it is just way over what they are doing for their kids and I feel guilty. Im no where near as good as most of the ppl on this board, but at least I can post w/out guilt when I figure out how! icon_smile.gif

tcturtleshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tcturtleshell Posted 8 Aug 2005 , 1:45am
post #5 of 22

The more cakes you do the better you'll get. Just take it at your own pace & you'll do great!! If you look at my picture gallery you can see my improvements. Start from the bottom of the gallery. My first cakes were horrible!! Happy Baking!

SheilaF Posted 8 Aug 2005 , 1:48am
post #6 of 22

I'm still trying to figure out the picture gallery. I looked at a few of the cakes, but there are so many. Not sure how to do a search for certain ppl's. What are the size constraints on posting photos? I need to do some research I guess.

SheilaF Posted 8 Aug 2005 , 2:03am
post #7 of 22

OK, I just figured out how to upload a photo. I did two cakes for this weekend, so I uploaded a photo of the first cake (which was a lot easier to do than the second one).

SquirrellyCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SquirrellyCakes Posted 8 Aug 2005 , 5:27am
post #8 of 22

Welcome to you!
Hugs Squirrelly Cakes

SheilaF Posted 8 Aug 2005 , 5:42am
post #9 of 22

Thanks. I think I'm getting the hang of this. What time zone is this board on???? It's still sunday night here, but the time displayed for the posts is tomorrow afternoon already.

SquirrellyCakes Posted 8 Aug 2005 , 5:52am
post #10 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by SheilaF

Thanks. I think I'm getting the hang of this. What time zone is this board on???? It's still sunday night here, but the time displayed for the posts is tomorrow afternoon already.

Haha, well don't feel too bad, it hasn't been that many months since I was able to get this resolved thanks to the following post Jackie made in response to a question about the time zones. It was originally posted under Technical Support.
Here is Jackie's response which should be beneficial in resolving your problem.
good36 wrote:
Why is the date a day later than it really is?
Thanks
judy Good

Hi Judy,

To set your timezone so that the times appear correctly in the forums,
Make sure you are logged in to CakeCentral.com
Click "My Forum Info" on the left in the "Your Account" Box
Then scroll down to the preferences section and select your timezone.
Then Click "Submit"
That's it!

SheilaF Posted 8 Aug 2005 , 6:23am
post #11 of 22

OK then. I guess it would help if I actually knew what GMT stood for. I tried a couple times and I'm guessing GMT-8 hours will be PST, so we'll see what time this posts as to see if I'm right! HA! What a way to test a theory huh?

SheilaF Posted 8 Aug 2005 , 6:23am
post #12 of 22

yep, that did it. Thanks!

SquirrellyCakes Posted 8 Aug 2005 , 6:44am
post #13 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by SheilaF

OK then. I guess it would help if I actually knew what GMT stood for. I tried a couple times and I'm guessing GMT-8 hours will be PST, so we'll see what time this posts as to see if I'm right! HA! What a way to test a theory huh?

Haha, well kiddo, you had the same question a lot of folks likely puzzled over.
The Greenwich Meridian (Prime Meridian or Longitude Zero degrees) marks the starting point of every time zone in the World. GMT is Greenwich Mean (or Meridian) Time is the mean (average) time that the earth takes to rotate from noon-to-noon.

GMT is World Time and the basis of every world time zone which sets the time of day and is at the centre of the time zone map. GMT sets current time or official time around the globe. Most time changes are measured by GMT. Although GMT has been replaced by atomic time (UTC) it is still widely regarded as the correct time for every international time zone.

Taken from the site with information on GMT.
Hugs Squirrelly Cakes

butrcup Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
butrcup Posted 8 Aug 2005 , 3:17pm
post #14 of 22

See SquirrellyCakes, I told you last week you seem to know just about everything-good job on some of your other recent posts!

Lisa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lisa Posted 8 Aug 2005 , 3:34pm
post #15 of 22

Welcome to CC Sheila. I checked out your cakes. You do wonderful work especially the BCTs! Glad you decided to join us.

gdixoncakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gdixoncakes Posted 8 Aug 2005 , 4:07pm
post #16 of 22

Welcome SheilaF. Your cakes look great. Thanks for helping clear up that time zone thing. I have been on here for several weeks and was wondering how to fix it.

irisinbloom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
irisinbloom Posted 8 Aug 2005 , 4:22pm
post #17 of 22

Welcome to CC Sheliaicon_smile.gif

jumbosgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jumbosgirl Posted 8 Aug 2005 , 4:31pm
post #18 of 22

Welcome Sheila. Your cakes are great!!

SheilaF Posted 8 Aug 2005 , 4:42pm
post #19 of 22

Thanks for all the welcomes. Glad I could help with some problems too! LOL. I discovered the BC technique on the wilton boards back in March when did my older dtr's bowling bday party cake and OMG, I just fell instantly in love w/the technique! I detest the star technique for character pans and I was "painting" them in with frosting, so this was so much easier. And with my carpo-tunnel, a whole lot easier too! Although I still have a lot of character pans and will use them from time to time, I tend to only use the top 1.5 inches of the design and put it on another cake. It's fun to see what other ppl can do. There are some really creative cake decorators out there!

Cakemaster26 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakemaster26 Posted 8 Aug 2005 , 8:34pm
post #20 of 22

Welcome to the board. Just took a look at your cakes. they came out great. I can't wait to try out the BCT technique.

thumbs_up.gif

SheilaF Posted 8 Aug 2005 , 8:42pm
post #21 of 22

Thanks. I guess I should post some of the cakes that are NOT buttercream transfers huh? I need to actually get off the computer for awhile though. Something about 4 kids wanting attention and lunch! LOL.

KATE39 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KATE39 Posted 8 Aug 2005 , 8:50pm
post #22 of 22

Welcome SheilaF. I hope you love this site as much as I do.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%