Fishbowl Cake

Decorating By LynnVC Updated 2 Jan 2007 , 12:54pm by LynnVC

LynnVC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LynnVC Posted 30 Dec 2006 , 2:54am
post #1 of 6

I am doing a fishbowl cake for a New Years party and it needs to withstand a one hour drive. It is the one that is actually two eight inch rounds that have been cut at the top and the bottom and stood up on their sides. (There are a few cute ones in the gallery). Besides doweling them, is there anything else I could do to make sure they don't fall over? I have never tried a cake that is actually sitting on it's side. Thanks in advance for any suggestions!
Lynn

5 replies
karateka Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karateka Posted 30 Dec 2006 , 3:33am
post #2 of 6

I guess I would probably dowel through the base board. Does that make sense?

DianeLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 30 Dec 2006 , 2:59pm
post #3 of 6

I agree with karateka. Assemble your cake on a board that is at least one inch thick. I like to double up 1/2-inch foamcore for this. Sharpen your dowels and hammer them through the cake and all the way through the base board. At least two dowels per cake half.

MissRobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MissRobin Posted 30 Dec 2006 , 4:57pm
post #4 of 6

I have made the cake you are talking about, You are going to have a hard time doweling from top to bottom, because layers are on their sides and you would actually be splitting the layers. I didn't have to transport the cake, so not sure, my thought is dowel horizontally throught cake and put some royal icing underneath cake to help hold in place. Good Luck!!

By the way, it's a really cute cake when done, I did it for my grandson, I used fruit roll ups for sea grass and soft gel candy for star fish - oh so cute!!! Oh and nerds for like the rock and the goldfish crackers with a toothpick in them, stuck in the top of cake so it looks like the fish is jumping out of the water!! This was before my CC days, so no picture, maybe I can dig one up!! Have fun!

DianeLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 30 Dec 2006 , 7:06pm
post #5 of 6

Please look at the sports ball cake in my gallery. Every one of those cakes has sharpened dowels hammered through to hold them in place. The football is actually two cakes baked in the football pan, then sandwiched together and stood up on the side. All dowels are hammered in from the top before icing the cakes. The football has about 6 dowels - some hammered in on a diagonal from one side to the other. The small balls have just one dowel. There are no boards inside any of the cakes.

Cut your dowel shorter than the cake. When you get to the level of the cake, use a small piece of dowel, as you would use a nail punch, to aid in hammering the sharpened dowel below the level of the cake.

LynnVC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LynnVC Posted 2 Jan 2007 , 12:54pm
post #6 of 6

Thanks for the great advice! I did exactly what each of you said. I hammered sharpened dowels through the cake board (one on each side) and it worked perfectly! I also anchored it down with a bunch of buttercream. I will post the picture as soon as I can. Dare I say the one hour drive was a breeze! Thanks!
Lynn

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%