Motorcycle Shaped Cake?

Decorating By JennT Updated 9 Aug 2005 , 12:29am by smileyface

JennT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JennT Posted 8 Aug 2005 , 12:12am
post #1 of 10

I need help figuring out how to do a motorcycyle cake! There's only one here in the gallery but it's wayyyy to advanced for me! lol I'd like to do one that represents the birthday guy's actual bike, but I don't even know where to begin! Any help is greatly appreciated!

Jennifer

9 replies
traci Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
traci Posted 8 Aug 2005 , 12:16am
post #2 of 10

Hi Jennifer! If you know what kind of bike he has...you could possibly find an image online. You could do a BCT or an edible image on a sheet cake. I also saw a motorcyle cake in a Wilton yearbook...but I don't know which one. I will look through them and post back.
traci icon_smile.gif

ntertayneme Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ntertayneme Posted 8 Aug 2005 , 12:20am
post #3 of 10

Here's a website that has a pic of what the Wilton motorcycle cake pan looks like .. hope this helps icon_smile.gif

http://www.cooksdream.com/thestore/prods/WIL21052025.html

traci Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
traci Posted 8 Aug 2005 , 12:21am
post #4 of 10

Thank-you Cheryl...I was just about to post that link!!!! icon_razz.gif
traci

ntertayneme Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ntertayneme Posted 8 Aug 2005 , 12:23am
post #5 of 10

You're welcome icon_smile.gif

antonia74 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
antonia74 Posted 8 Aug 2005 , 1:34am
post #6 of 10

Here's one I did a few years ago. I cut each piece and did the fondant over the cake...then just pushed it all together like a puzzle!

The "studs" on the seat are silver dragees and the "handlebars" is a black piece of cardboard.
LL

JennT Posted 8 Aug 2005 , 11:15pm
post #7 of 10

Thanks to all of you for your ideas!! However, I think I'm gonna go the easy route....especially since I just found out that it needs to serve 50 - 60 people!! lol Antonia - you're cake is sooo awesome, but I think I'm still too green at this to try it!! lol But I hope to be able to do something like that one day. I'm thinking I could do the wilton motorcycle cake pan and put that on top of a sheet cake. But I'm not sure if I should use a 1/2 sheet or a full? How much will serve how many??

Jennifer

smileyface Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
smileyface Posted 8 Aug 2005 , 11:27pm
post #8 of 10

A 12 x 18 x 2 should feed about 48 if you are cutting 2 inch square servings. You can get larger pieces or double the serving if you double the layers and make it 12 x 18 x 4. The shaped pans usually say they serve 12. It really depends on the size pieces you want to serve. Around here, all the bakery sheet cakes I have seen are not double layers or filled so that was news to me when I found CC.

Another suggestion if you don't already have the Wilton motorcycle pan is to do a buttercream transfer of the kind of motorcycle he rides. I know my hubby would get a kick out of seeing his actual motorcycle on a cake.

Have fun!

JennT Posted 9 Aug 2005 , 12:16am
post #9 of 10

Ooohh - that's a really good idea. But I've never done a bc transfer before!! How difficult are they? And I wonder where I could get a drawing of a motorcycle close to the kind he has to use for the guide?? It's a Honda, but I'm not sure what model...guess I need to ask the wife since it's a surprise party!

Any advice you have on bc transfers would be great!!!

Thanks!

Jenn

smileyface Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
smileyface Posted 9 Aug 2005 , 12:29am
post #10 of 10

I love doing BCT (buttercream transfers) and have several in my photos. I used to do shaped pans with all those stars but now find BCTs to be rather easy as long as you follow the directions and allow it to freeze long enough. I was too impatient when I first tried it and thought it was hard but when done right (following the directions, LOL), I think they are fun and pretty easy to do. Some are very time consuming if you get really detailed but I loved (still do with my kids) to color anyhow. There is a great website that has the tutorial for it and a lot of other info. Here is the link to Dawn's website. Tons of great info and help here:

http://community.webshots.com/user/cali4dawn

If you find out what kind of motorcycle he has, odds are you can find it on the internet or my hubby can. He currently has a Honda VTX 1800 and this is his third bike since I have know him so he knows bikes.

Have fun!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%