Why Apricot Glaze? And Will It Work As A Crumb Coat?

Decorating By Rainbow_Moon Updated 16 May 2016 , 8:31am by sstackhouse75

Rainbow_Moon Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rainbow_Moon Posted 7 Aug 2005 , 10:36pm
post #1 of 9

i was wondering why most of the books i read say to use an apricot glaze to prepare a cake for different techniques. why not any other kind of glaze (any other fruit?)? does apricot have some sort of property that others do not? i haven't tried it yet - does it affect the overall taste of the cake?

i was also wondering if this could be used as the crumb coat - i have a chocolate cake to do today with white frosting, just wondering if i need to make another batch of frosting to get thru the crumb coat or if i could use this glaze instead...

8 replies
ntertayneme Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ntertayneme Posted 7 Aug 2005 , 10:51pm
post #2 of 9

I'm not really sure.. I do know that some people use the apricot glaze for a crumb coat but I'm not sure if it's used on certain flavor of cakes. Maybe someone that uses it can better answer that question .. I'll bump this back up to the top icon_smile.gif

tcturtleshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tcturtleshell Posted 8 Aug 2005 , 1:03am
post #3 of 9

Rainbow,

I don't use apricot glaze. I have, Squirrellycakes taught me all about it. I don't like peaches & apricots. When I have used it I can taste it when the cake is iced... YUCK!!!!!

The kind I do use is called Sugar Syrup. We even use it on biscuits & pancakes instead of syrup. Some people call it Simple Syrup.

All it is is table sugar & boiling water. I pour the sugar in a qt size mason jar (you can also us a jelly jar or mayo jar etc). I boil a pot of water. I slowly add the water to the sugar, stirring while I add it. You don't want it runny. A bit thick. Make sure you have stirred the sugar really well that there are no bits of sugar left. Then I use a spoon or a basting brush & smooth it onto the cake while the cake is still warm. If it's cooled off it won't hurt it. Then just let it dry. I usually only used the Sugar Syrup when I am going to freeze the cakes. The cakes sure stay moist when you use Sugar Syrup.

Hope that will help you. Apricot glaze is just to keep the cake moist & to crumb coat the cake. The Sugar Syrup does the same thing~

antonia74 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
antonia74 Posted 8 Aug 2005 , 1:15am
post #4 of 9

Apricot glaze is used because it is a light colour and pretty neutral in taste. You wouldn't want strawberry underneath white fondant, because it may stain through!

Rainbow_Moon Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rainbow_Moon Posted 8 Aug 2005 , 1:25am
post #5 of 9

thanks for the great explanation TC...i will have to try out the sugar syrup (i don't think i'll like the apricot either).

tcturtleshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tcturtleshell Posted 8 Aug 2005 , 1:38am
post #6 of 9

Your welcome Rainbow! Glad I could help~

msmeg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
msmeg Posted 8 Aug 2005 , 7:17pm
post #7 of 9

Apricot glaze is the traditional crumb coat for wedding cakes
When you heat the strained apricot preserves and crumb coat the cake it will actually set and seal in the crumbs. It is so thin you do not actually taste apricots but it blends nicely with a white cake and buttercream or fondant.

They used to crumb coat with apricot glaze, apply marzipan and then a thin coating of royal icing. This was done on a firm cake such as pound cake or fruit cake. Also this cake was traditionally sent home to dream on and other sweets were served to the guests.

Try it you will find it is wonderful but I am not sure on chocolate

sweeterbug1977 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweeterbug1977 Posted 8 Aug 2005 , 8:07pm
post #8 of 9

I am with the turtle on this one. I use the simple syrup..mainly because I am not that fond of the apricot glaze, but that is just me. Some people really like the apricot glaze...I just happen not to be one of them icon_wink.gif .

sstackhouse75 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sstackhouse75 Posted 16 May 2016 , 8:31am
post #9 of 9

tcturtleshell how much sugar and water do use to make the Sugar syrup  to crumb coat the cake .

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%