Decorated Cookie Info!

Decorating By antonia74 Updated 9 May 2013 , 9:18pm by Annie70

antonia74 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
antonia74 Posted 7 Aug 2005 , 9:54pm
post #1 of 77

I have been getting some great questions about how I do my decorated cookies and I'd really love to write an article for this site to answer everything I can...SO, what can I include in an "Everything You've Always Wanted to Know About Decorating Cookies"-type write-up?

I'm willling to give away any info I can, just let me know what you'd all like me to include??

76 replies
crp7 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crp7 Posted 7 Aug 2005 , 10:03pm
post #2 of 77

This is a great topic! I have a 5 year old going into Kindergarten and cookies are always a good choice.

I would like to know:

1. Your favorite cookie recipes. Are there some recipes that are better for adults or kids or all they all basically the same? Do you use the same recipe if the cookies are going to be on sticks?

2. What size decorating tips you use for various decorations.

3. Is there a way to know when you have the right consistency of icing?

I am sure I will think of more things but these are the first things that come to mind.

Thanks for your willingness to share with everyone here.

Cindy

butrcup Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
butrcup Posted 7 Aug 2005 , 10:06pm
post #3 of 77

How funny, I just logged on to look at your cookies to get some ideas...

You could add to that list freezing and bouquets-thanks

I love your cookies!!

mvigil Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mvigil Posted 7 Aug 2005 , 10:22pm
post #4 of 77

Hi Antonia74, That would be sooo great if you did this!! I was just talking to my husband about the art of cookie decorating and how to make the cookie boquets. I would ike to learn more about when to ad your sticks to the cookies. like how much after they come out of the oven??Is thier a good baking pan to use, maybe the wilton ones??or how to ad diifferent colors to one cookie so they dont mix.Or can you freeze the the cookis dough and whats the best way to do that ? Can you freeze the baked cookies and whats the best way to do that?? are thier any tricks on making the royal icing ? Thanks I cant wait to see how it turns out.

charlieinMO Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
charlieinMO Posted 7 Aug 2005 , 10:44pm
post #5 of 77

This is a great idea!! Your cookies are always beautiful! Maybe you should also include the type of icing you use (this was a question you helped me with earlier icon_lol.gif ) Thanks for thinking of all of us.

Charlotte

traci Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
traci Posted 7 Aug 2005 , 10:45pm
post #6 of 77

Hi antonia74! I love your idea of writing about this topic. I would like to know:
1. Good cookie recipes for using cutters.
2. Good cookie icing recipe that allows for stacking.
3. tips about freezing cookies
4. tips about pricing decorated cookies
Thanks for your help!!!! icon_smile.gif
traci

CIndymm4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CIndymm4 Posted 7 Aug 2005 , 11:01pm
post #7 of 77

I can't wait to read your article....your cookies are just awesome! I'd like to know, do you use somehting to make sure that all of cookies are the same thickness??

melodyscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melodyscakes Posted 8 Aug 2005 , 4:33am
post #8 of 77

okay, i have a question for you..... i love to make cookie bouquets and the cookies are beautiful, but sometimes i lack the creative imagination as to the container and the pretty fillers. like the colored tissue paper, how? and how much without bieng over kill and ribbons . the final touches.
thanks
melody

TinaRe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TinaRe Posted 8 Aug 2005 , 4:49am
post #9 of 77

Hello this is a great one! Here is what i would want to see in the article.. pics to go along with the instructions, cookie recipes best for the deco. and different types of icing recipes. hope that helps.

antonia74 Posted 8 Aug 2005 , 5:27am
post #10 of 77

These ideas are great everyone! I never would have thought to include half of these suggestions.

Keep them coming! I'm writing this all down. thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

bubblezmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bubblezmom Posted 8 Aug 2005 , 12:52pm
post #11 of 77

Hi and thanks for being so willing to share your knowledge. icon_smile.gif I have a couple of good cookie recipes that I use for holiday baking. I always have skipped using a base frosting. I skip the background (?) frosting because the recipes are so sicky-sweet. Is there a way to make the frosting without using 100% powdered sugar? I don't know any adults who eat completely frosted cookies due to the taste of the frosting. Thanks!

Saborita Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Saborita Posted 8 Aug 2005 , 1:33pm
post #12 of 77

Hi Antonia:

It´s nice know you want to share your experience about cookie. Your really an expert cookie decorator.
thumbs_up.gif
I´d have some topics for your article:

1. What can we do if we don´t have a cookie cutter form the people ask?
2. Most frecunently mistakes. What can we do for fix them?
3. cookies and icing recipes
4. Flavor most regular for icing (i just use orange and I don´t know what else? icon_biggrin.gif
5. Character cookies (personages fashionable sample: four fantastic, madagascar)

Thank you very much for ypur help and contribution

Saborita

jekizer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jekizer Posted 8 Aug 2005 , 2:16pm
post #13 of 77

I would love to know the recipe for the type of icing that is hard to touch but soft to eat. I have been looking for this recipe for ages.

I think that this is going to be an awesome article. Thanks for sharing your knowledge and expertise.

katiedeva Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
katiedeva Posted 8 Aug 2005 , 10:36pm
post #14 of 77

Hi Antonia.... I don't really have any other suggestions as far as what to add, I think most of what Id like to know has been suggested already, just wanted to say that I can't wait to see your article! Thanks icon_smile.gif

abbey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
abbey Posted 8 Aug 2005 , 11:06pm
post #15 of 77

I think what I'd like to see most is good recipe for cut cookies, good icing recipe and what you charge for cookies with pictures of the type of detail.

Biscat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Biscat Posted 9 Aug 2005 , 12:06am
post #16 of 77

Like everyone else, I can't WAIT to see the article!

I'd love to know more about making bouquets... What do you use for sticks, when do you stick them in (before baking to make the hole? After baking but while they are still soft?) and what you use to display the boquet (i.e do you use florist foam in a pot?, etc...).

Thank you so much for sharing your knowledge - I was looking at your website and it is such a class act.

Thanks again!

- Tami -

KATE39 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KATE39 Posted 9 Aug 2005 , 12:17am
post #17 of 77

I would love to read your article as well. What is the best cookie recipe to use cookie cutters? I always have problems with rolling the dough out - either it is too thick or too thin. Please include the directions for your icing as well. I tried the powdered sugar recipe but it never comes out the way I want it to. Thank you so much. Cathy

loree001 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loree001 Posted 9 Aug 2005 , 12:28am
post #18 of 77

This is my recipe for decorated cookie icing that hardens shiny but is soft to eat....may help you...wish I had some pictures, but my computer crashed a while back...and...

I add about a cup of powdered sugar, 2 tablespoons of corn syrup and stir until smooth and thick. (If I need it a little thinner, I add drops of water). I usually use 1/4 teaspoon of vanilla and 1/4 teaspoon of butter flavoring (my kids say they taste just like candy corn?). Desired consistency is spreadable with the back of a spoon, but not thin enough to run off the edge of the cookie! It just takes a little judgement and practice, then you'll know what consistency you need, add your color (gel) and you're good to go!

loree001 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loree001 Posted 9 Aug 2005 , 12:31am
post #19 of 77

I forgot to add this...

Cookies are my absolute favorite! Especially at Halloween, the kids just love them, whether they are just decorated cookies or cookie pops. Hey, how about a cookie decorating contest, that would be fun! They really are fun to do and like I said, kids love them.

aslate Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aslate Posted 9 Aug 2005 , 12:41am
post #20 of 77

Thank You Antonia 74! This sounds great. I can't wait to see it.

My suggestion would be step by step instructions with photos. Tell us what you are thinking while you are doing it. I agree with everyone elses suggestions about including recipes, techniques, cutters, etc.

Thanks again....I am sure my kids will be grateful icon_biggrin.gif

gma1956 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gma1956 Posted 9 Aug 2005 , 1:14am
post #21 of 77

I can't wait to read this article either. I would also like to see instructions with corresponding pictures (if possible) and your suggestions on the best cookies for cutting. Exactly how you do your icing.. It is fantastic by the way. THANKS.......

infields Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
infields Posted 10 Sep 2005 , 5:26pm
post #22 of 77

Is your article done yet? I would really like to read it. I need a good recipe. I can't seem to find one that holds it shape and tastes great. Can you at least post your cookie recipe for us if your article isn't ready yet? Thanks

antonia74 Posted 10 Sep 2005 , 5:53pm
post #23 of 77

Sorry Infields, I'm trying my best to get it done. I have 4 weddings per weekend to supply Sept/Oct and I'm crazy busy...working 16-17 hours per day just to keep up! icon_cry.gif

Anyway, the sugar cookie recipe I swear by is from www.kitchengifts.com
it is the perfect consistency and really really does hold its shape beautifully AND it tastes awesome! thumbs_up.gif

thyterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thyterrell Posted 10 Sep 2005 , 6:38pm
post #24 of 77

I'm so excited to see this topic. I just recently decided I was going to try decorating cookies. I used the sugar cookie recipe from kitchen gifts and made my cookies last night. They are delicious. I just finished mixing up a batch of royal icing and am fixing to color and try my hand at this. Will probably end up being a mess at first, but I'm excited to try. I can't wait to see your article! Thanks for doing it!

crimsonhair Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crimsonhair Posted 10 Sep 2005 , 11:04pm
post #25 of 77

We are all looking forward to your article Antonia. I love all the beautiful cookies you make.. They are always so elegant looking and the icing is done to perfection. I know your article will be worth the wait.. icon_smile.gif
Liz

cupcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcakes Posted 11 Sep 2005 , 7:11pm
post #26 of 77

Thank you so much in advance for sharing your cookie expertise! This is a great time to start thinking about cookies for the holidays!

Daniela Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Daniela Posted 12 Sep 2005 , 9:25pm
post #27 of 77

Antonia, I know I've told you about a million times how much I love your work but I can't help it because you just do an amazing job. I can't wait to read your article!!!!

chefali Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chefali Posted 13 Sep 2005 , 2:19am
post #28 of 77

All of your cakes and cookies are a true inspiration to me! I am very excited to read your article.

crimsonhair Posted 13 Sep 2005 , 2:39am
post #29 of 77

I made some cookies today and tried the recipe for the sugar glaze that sweeterbug1977 and loree001
posted.. I just love it.. Thanks so much for sharing sweeterbug1977 and loree001. It is softer than the royal icing but it did harden enough so I could stack them.I added almond extract to it. I am mailing some to a friend in the morning so will see how they ship. She sent me a cute rooster cookie cutter today and I wanted to make her a few cookies with it. icon_smile.gif
Liz

crimsonhair Posted 13 Sep 2005 , 5:29am
post #30 of 77

Cookies ! To outline or not ? Antonia I was just reading your post in the cookie gallery that you don't bother to outline your cookies with the royal icing before filling in the design .. This will be such a time saver.. I am glad I noticed that post as I was browsing the pics in the gallery.. I find that my cookies always seem to look a little messy and I think that it is because the outline stands out too much.. I will try your method tomorrow. Thanks for sharing that tip.
icon_smile.gif Liz

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%