Licensed Kitchen In Kansas?

Business By cakerunner Updated 13 Jun 2007 , 6:43pm by SweetieD

cakerunner Posted 29 Dec 2006 , 12:24am
post #1 of 9

Is anybody here licensed in Kansas? Can you give me a little run down of what a Kansas kitchen must have to be licensed? Thanks for the help!
Becky icon_biggrin.gif

8 replies
JoAnnB Posted 29 Dec 2006 , 5:34am
post #2 of 9

According to the post below, it varies for county to county

melodyscakes Posted 29 Dec 2006 , 5:29pm
post #3 of 9

what part of kansas?

cakerunner Posted 30 Dec 2006 , 5:09pm
post #4 of 9

Quenemo, in Osage county

cakecre8tor Posted 2 Jan 2007 , 4:27am
post #5 of 9

I live at Fort Leavenworth - and post required me to go by the rules of the state - so I called the Health department and they had the local inspector call me and he told me as long as you are not selling to a resturant or grocery store then you dont need to be inspected and you are fine. You just wont be licenced - but you are good to sell to a person or at a farmer's market. If you want to sell to stores/resturants then you need to have do all that is listed in the above post. I would try to get ahold of a local inspector and see what they say. I just got my approval from post though!! Yeah! Good luck!

sweetness_221 Posted 2 Jan 2007 , 5:24am
post #6 of 9

Here's a link that might be able to help you.

melodyscakes Posted 2 Jan 2007 , 7:17pm
post #7 of 9

I had to get a special permit for using my home as a business, then a separate commercial kitchen.
I thought that was a kansas rule, but maybe it is just my city rule. you need to check though.

good luck


cakerunner Posted 4 Jan 2007 , 9:10pm
post #8 of 9

This is the response I got from the state food safety inspector supervisor...
"Another question you had about selling cakes from your home could become a little more complex. If you are selling cakes to friends, neighbors, and other people you know, licensing and inspections will not be necessary. But if you start selling cakes over the internet, to local businesses, or to other indirect consumers, you would need to meet the guidelines for a food processing kitchen. These guidelines are also listed on our website, but if this is an option for you, I would suggest you give me a call here at the office and we can discuss a few of the more important details"

would you take this to mean as ong as people are buying directly from me I could go ahead and do a craft fair or home show and have a website up as long as they are not having their cakes shipped? Am I stretching this a little too much? I nee some cake business experienced people please!

SweetieD Posted 13 Jun 2007 , 6:43pm
post #9 of 9

I spoke to a guy at the KS Dept of Agriculture. He told me the same as he told you about not having to have a license unless you sell to another business or something. I asked if it was ok to sell at craft fairs and farmers markets and he said sure. Also, I made sure to find out if it was ok to advertise and he said go for it. HTH

Quote by @%username% on %date%