My First Rejection

Decorating By indydebi Updated 23 Feb 2008 , 3:55pm by TheButterWench

indydebi Posted 23 Feb 2008 , 3:11pm
post #1 of 4

My hubby came up with a great idea that kinda goes along with my Van Gogh chart (above). He said for those who balk at the price and tend to respond with the "it's just a cake" attitude, that I should have 2 dummy cakes set up....

One cake should be butterknife iced with canned frosting and those hard little candy letters on it (crooked of course) spelling happy birthday (and if you miss-spell "birthday", that's a great extra touch!). The other cake should be a sample of our best work for a birthday cake.

Label cake #1 "If you want "just a cake" this is what you get."

Sometimes he comes up with a good one!

3 replies
CakesByLJ Posted 23 Feb 2008 , 3:34pm
post #2 of 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

My hubby came up with a great idea that kinda goes along with my Van Gogh chart (above). He said for those who balk at the price and tend to respond with the "it's just a cake" attitude, that I should have 2 dummy cakes set up....

One cake should be butterknife iced with canned frosting and those hard little candy letters on it (crooked of course) spelling happy birthday (and if you miss-spell "birthday", that's a great extra touch!). The other cake should be a sample of our best work for a birthday cake.

Label cake #1 "If you want "just a cake" this is what you get."

Sometimes he comes up with a good one!

Oh this is a great idea... I will have to make a dummy, take pictures, and post it in my album... the first page, of course... a real ice breaker to start the conversation off with a laugh! btw, I loved the excel doc. icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

rozdei Posted 23 Feb 2008 , 3:40pm
post #3 of 4

I have to echo tasteebakes and say our simple white gold wedding bands cost $200 total, my husband's was more because it was bigger/wider/thicker, whatever you call it! icon_smile.gif

I can't believe people don't understand when you tell them the price. I made a cake just for our DOS and spent about 12 hours on it. Don't even want to think about how much my time would have cost someone.

I have had only one paid cake so far (didn't start this to get paid for it) and it was a very close family friend. I wrestled over the price I was going to quote her and stressed and when I told her, she didn't bat an eye and agreed to it.

Before I told her the price, I had to keep telling myself, if she says no, it's okay because I would have been stressing over it and if I told her a lower price I would have been kicking myself and stressed over that.

TheButterWench Posted 23 Feb 2008 , 3:55pm
post #4 of 4

Oh Indy I love the chart, I too will be making one to print out for my shop and I'm sticking the wedding cake that I made right up in there! lol

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%